Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2005 11:50:33 AM EDT
I'm about to start reloading for my .308 and can't decide between the two.  What are y'alls take on these bullets?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#1]

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=247782

I've used both, although factory loads, the main difference I have seen is that the AMAX tip will deform more in an M14 mag during recoil than the Nosler.  This may or may not be an issue for you.

According to Nosler, their BT is designed to retain 50% of its weight...allowing the other 50% to fragment.  The AMAX performs the same according to the pics and weight retention posted in the Oracle.  

If peak accuracy is a concern, I'd get some of both and load them and see what shoots best.

What will you be shooting it out of...just curious?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Terminal performance of both bullets is excellent. I'd probably give a slight nod to the AMAX as far as destructive potential. But either bullet will do the job.

Obviously, the 150 gr Nosler has some other advantages. The 155 gr weight of the AMAX is sort of an odd bullet weight, so I'm not sure how different the POI would be with it vs commercial spec 150  gr loads.

Conceivably, if you choose 150 gr, you might be able to create various loads using a variety of different 150 gr bullet styles (i.e. FMJ, TBBC and NBT) that achieve a similar POI over a more broad range of distances.

I dunno if that would be important to you or not. But it might be something to consider.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to be shooting this out of my 20" savage for now, but will most likely be using it in my next build, a 18" DPMS.

Thanks for the reccomendations.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top