Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/10/2003 6:25:17 AM EST
Looking into getting a 14.5" to replace my 16" barrel, but need information on it first. I understand the pros as to why go with a shorter barrel, that's not the problem. I need to know:

  1. I read that installing the 14.5" barrel makes the rifle a short rifle and must be registered with the BATF. Is this true?

  2. Is there an issue with the buffer tube length between the two? I am un-learned in these matters...

  3. What other issues are there to consider that I did not mention?

Are there any cons to consider?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:00:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/10/2003 8:01:59 AM EST by DevL]
If you dont permanatly attach something to the barrel (blind pin and weld) to make it 16" overall you need to get a SBR tax stamp before you can have the barrel cut down or replaced. There are no differences in gas port size buffer etc. they are identical except for barrel length. You can buy the 14.5" barrel and have it modified later so long as its not installed on your rifle.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:37:22 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:55:16 AM EST
Thanks for the replys. I guess the issue is to keep the weapon at 16.1" since this posses the smallest problem and gives me the biggest gain. As for your questions: There could be many issues to consider. 1. Is your rifle pre- or post-ban? pre 2. What ammo do you plan to use? 55gr & 62gr 3. Will this ever be a defensive weapon (should the need arise), or will it be strictly a range toy? Both 4. Are you looking to mount optics, and if so, which one(s)? Have EOTech 551 5. Are you planning to install railed handguards, and if so, which one? KAC RAS
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:26:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:17:40 PM EST
Another option to consider (I know, it doesn't make this any easier) is to have a Gemtech bilock flash hider permanently attached to a 14.5" barrel. This will give you the added length needed to keep it non-NFA, but also gives you the option of adding a (Gemtech M4-96D) suppressor later, if you desire (and your state allows it). Just something else to consider.
Top Top