Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/25/2006 11:20:17 AM EDT
Ok-after eight months of deliberatrion and saving, I have finally decided to go with a midlength AR. I have been really sold on midlenghts recently, due largely to posts on this forum. So, thanks for the help guys. Unless I have a sudden change of heart, I will likely be going with an RRA Elite CAR A4.

So one last thing to nail down: should I go with a 14.5" barrel or a 16" barrel? RRAs come with 16" barrels, but I could have ADCO chop it down for me, and then perm. attach a Phantom. I like to keep my carbines as short as possible (but no SBR here in Michigan), but I worry that using a 14.5" barrel may mess with the gas system. As the improved gas system is one of the main reasons I decided to go with a middy, and not an M4gery, I really don't want to mess anything up.

In the end I will likely go with the 16", if for no other reason than that the extra velocity provided by the longer barrel is nice......but I will admit that I find the 14.5" mids to be pretty sexy, so opinions on them will be welcome. Thanks again for the help.

MCO
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen several other people post this same question about 14.5" mids, and nobody ever answers. I'm starting to think that asking about a 14.5" barrel on a midlength violates some AR15 taboo that I don't know about. Come on guys, someone must own a 14.5" middy........
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a 14.5 middy and really like it, I think it makes a compact package that is a little shorter than a dissipator style rifle but still dosn't leave much of the barrel exposed. I've thought about going to 13.6 or  as short as possible and putting one of the longer Noveske krink style hiders on it for a mini dissipator kinda carbine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
CMMG has the barrel you are already looking for with the correct gas port.

Here's my build with the 14.5" CMMG middy barrel. I absolutely love this build. It handles superbly. If I could have only one AR, it'd be this one.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
CMMG has the barrel you are already looking for with the correct gas port.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=307921

I would rather not buy another barrel. Instead I would prefer to just have the 16" Wilson cut to 14.5", much cheaper that way. Will the gas port be incorrect if I do that? If I have to spend an additional $300 on a barrel, then 14.5" is out for sure......
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Cutting barrel lenght ahead of the gas port usually beans the gas port must be opened.

Better and proabally cheaper to sell you barrel on the EE to someone who likes it as is and buy what you want rather than dicking around with it.

hmm...ok, that doesn't sound like a bad plan.

So far I seem to be getting the sense that a 14.5" barrel on a midlength works just fine. Does it have the same smooth function as a mid with a 16" barrel, though?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So far I seem to be getting the sense that a 14.5" barrel on a midlength works just fine. Does it have the same smooth function as a mid with a 16" barrel, though?

I have a midlength 14.5", posted above, and a 16" midlength and they run about the same.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've got a 14.5 middy and really like it, I think it makes a compact package that is a little shorter than a dissipator style rifle but still dosn't leave much of the barrel exposed. I've thought about going to 13.6 or  as short as possible and putting one of the longer Noveske krink style hiders on it for a mini dissipator kinda carbine.
www.hunt101.com/img/384051.jpg

am I crazy, or are those handguards a bit wider than the standard RRA midlenght handguards? Can't quite tell......
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats nice Feral.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#12]
16"......Don't have to mess with perimately attaching a muzzle device, and it looks "right"......Don't mess with perfection:

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I cut down a 16" midlength to 14.5 and it works fine with out messing with the gas port.
Its a RRA for info.

Kevin
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/384051.jpg</a>

am I crazy, or are those handguards a bit wider than the standard RRA midlenght handguards? Can't quite tell......

Those are Cav Arms M-4 profile Mid Length Handguards.

Those are probably the hanguards that come with tha CMMG. I've got the same type upper with a Magpul stock. Nice middy Feral, mine's very similiar.

Editted; I thought you were talking about Feral's hanguards.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are Cav Arms M-4 profile Mid Length Handguards.

Really like the thicker handguards, just look cool. Anybody know if those are the same ones that come on CMMG midlenghts?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:44:48 AM EDT
[#16]
deleted
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:32:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
16"......Don't have to mess with perimately attaching a muzzle device, and it looks "right"......Don't mess with perfection:

What he said. There is no practical logic for choosing a 14.5" w/permed FH over a 16" barrel.
And the "16" OAL just for looks" isnt practical logic.  But if this is just a hobby for you, do what ever you want.

I've thought about this since my original post, and I'm not going with a 14.5", in fact I don't even know why I posted. The 14.5" looks really cool, but I would loose the extra velocity a 16" provides, not to mention I would have to perm. attached a FH that would seriously limit my customizing options. On top of that, it sounds like I would have to buy an entirely new barrel, which I am unwilling to do. Thanks to all that responded; you all have some nice weapons. I'll go with the 16".......
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/384051.jpg

I've never seen a one-piece lower like that.

"That is WACK, Man!"
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#21]
16" barrels DO "look right" with mid-length's.  I'd stick with the 16".  (Plus, when/if you put on a bayonett, it fits right.)

Now, if you were going with the M4, short handguards, I'd go with the 14.5".  Otherwise, it doesn't look right.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Supposedly the Noveske 14.5 midlength has comparable ballistics to a 16" because of the polygonal rifling.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

www.coloradoshooting.org/70pgrnmid1.jpg

www.coloradoshooting.org/70pbusha1c1.jpg

www.coloradoshooting.org/ute2.jpg.JPG

+1
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Really like the thicker handguards, just look cool. Anybody know if those are the same ones that come on CMMG midlenghts?

My middy from CMMG came with the tapered guards, NOT Cav Arms M4 guards.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#26]
JTAC has a nice 14.5 inch barrel which is WOA and flutted for weight reduction.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"That is WACK, Man!"

CAV Arms.  Very interesting lowers, very light, very comfy. Suprisingly solid feeling.  Not exactly pretty, but damn functional.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cavalry Arms

Cav Arms forum on ar15.com

Nice looking rifle by the way.  I like the 14.5 midlengths
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top