Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2005 1:13:07 PM EDT
14.5" VERSES 16" Barrel length. How much accuracy and range is lost in the 14.5" barrel compared to the 16"?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I am still recovering from last week.

I still say 10.5.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this a heated debate topic? have I stumbled into a flame war? lol. Isn't there a immutable technical answer to this?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a very active flame war.  It comes up quite a bit.  Get the 16 if you don't want a permanent muzzle attachment.  If you get the 14.5, be sure not to get an A2 front sight base, because you will limit future handguard options.  Were it not for the NFA, I'd be using this:

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
But jack, the 16" is more accurate then? how much more?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#7]
As a matter of fact, shorter barrels tend to be more accurate.  They are stiffer.

Longer barrels used to have a longer sight radius, birthing the misconception that longer barrels are more accurate.  

That 10.5 that I posted will outshoot and 14.5 or 16 inch chrome lined barrel and might last a little longer.  That is because it is match grade stainless instead of field grade chrome lined.

The fact of the matter remains that it takes a lot of training and practice to be able to put all the rounds in one hole, not matter what gun you are using, and if you do manage to get them into one hole all that tells me is that your are taking too much time.

I wouldn't worry about the range.  With an Aimpoint or EOTech, your optic will be the limiting factor anyway.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As a matter of fact, shorter barrels tend to be more accurate.  They are stiffer.

Longer barrels used to have a longer sight radius, birthing the misconception that longer barrels are more accurate.  

That 10.5 that I posted will outshoot and 14.5 or 16 inch chrome lined barrel and might last a little longer.  That is because it is match grade stainless instead of field grade chrome lined.

The fact of the matter remains that it takes a lot of training and practice to be able to put all the rounds in one hole, not matter what gun you are using, and if you do manage to get them into one hole all that tells me is that your are taking too much time.

I wouldn't worry about the range.  With an Aimpoint or EOTech, your optic will be the limiting factor anyway.

well said
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is this a heated debate topic? have I stumbled into a flame war? lol. Isn't there a immutable technical answer to this?

The lesson to be learned from this thread is always, always always do a search first. If you had done a search on the keyword "accuracy", you would have found a thread on this very subject that was last posted to on 07/22/05. Even if the thread I gave a link to didn't answer your specific question, you would have at least gained some knowledge that would have enabled you to pose your question in a more educated way.

This site contains a vast amount of incredibly detailed information on a myarid of topics related to firearms. Unfortunately, most folks don't think to search for information or, since they're not paying members, they can only do searches for topics within the past 30 days.

If you have done a search and were unable to find information on the subject you have a question about, you should indicate that in your post.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, Matt,  Why waste the bandwidth being negative. Obviously I searched for similar topics but didn't find a match. T ARFCOM search feature does not work well on my computer though making searching difficult. Also sometimes a person likes to ask a question for themselves., rather then look at others topics. Sorry if you don't like for people to ask a question but that's what forums are all about. Have a great day though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I do my best work with an Olympic Arms CAR97-M4, with a 16" SST HBAR. Runs rings around my two 20" chrome lined Bushmasters. Clearly there is more to accuracy than barrel length alone
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
The effective range question is answered very well in the ammo oracle.  Its tacked in the ammo forum.  Nothing wrong with asking a question yourself either.  

The 16" has considerably better effective range with milspec M193 and especially M855/SS109.

And as posted above, the methods of barrel manufacture make a much bigger difference in accuracy than length.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#13]
At normal real world engagement ranges of 100 yds and under 95% of the time and 75% of that under 50 yds 14.5 is all you need.At those ranges accuracy is the same.hell a 14.5 gives the same accuracy as a 20" at 250 yds.As far as chrome lined being less accurate than unlined steel or stainless steel its minute and will not be noticed by the defensive shooter.Advantage in accuracy is minimal very minimal between the 2.My 14.5 with optics gives sub MOA accuaracy at 150 yds.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top