Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 10:04:42 AM EDT
I want a 14.5 with perm Phantom because it is an inch shorter overall.  I want one such configuration in my collection simply for that reason alone.

My question is about the permanent instillation of the Phantom.  Does anyone here see or know personally of, any issues with the drilling and welding used in the affixing of the Phantom on the bbl itself?

Does this drilling and heating have any negative effect on the bbl in any way?  Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence of it having an effect on accuracy?

Please don't turn this into a bashing or praising of bbl lengths.  This is purely a technical question that I have not found succinct answers to in the archives.    

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#1]
you have to drill, weld and pin the phantom to the bbl. everyone does this unless they have an SBR. If done right, it will not effect anything. It should be done professionally.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Right, I understand.  I am refering to professional work only, not home jobs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#4]

there is very little heat introduced into the barrel or FH when the blind pins are welded. usually it is just a spot MIG or TIG welded over the hole/pin. the duration and weld size are too small to really get anything all that hot.

the FH can be sliver soldered on too...

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Alright, that makes more sense.  I was not familiar with the welding process used.  I agree that not much heat would be applied using that process.

Thanks for the info.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top