Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2004 7:20:46 PM EDT
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/abbl-14.5a.asp

I went to the bushmaster site and was looking through the barrels, and I want to know if I am interpreting this correctly:
the 14.5 in. barrel with the flash suppressor installed would then be translated as a legal 16" barrel and not a Class 2 NFA weapon?

Furthermore, Maryland has a law that states that since I am under 21, I cannot own a restricted weapon; however, Colts and Bushmasters with HBARs are considered unregulated long rifles, and I can obtain one. If I bought a CAR 15 with any form of HBAR so long as the barrel/weapon length was within law statures, I'd be ok to buy it?

Jesus, I sign a good chunk of my life to the Army and I can't buy a damn CAR-15...hinking.gif

thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, a shorter than 16 inch barrel with a muzzle device that is attached permenantly, bringing the the overall length of the barrel to the minimum 16 inches is legal on a regular rifle.

So you can have a 14.5 with a phantom or vortex that brings OR a 11.5 inch barrel with a 5.5 inch flash supressor that is permenantly attached, so long as the length of the barrel is at least 16 inches long.

Someone from Maryland will have to help you with the second half of your question.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually just wanted a standard A2 birdcage flash suppressor, are those long enougH? I've been searching and I can't find the exact length of them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Its my understanding that they are not long enough. And if you have to have it permanently attatched.get one of the best...that way it doesnt have to be done again...

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
No they are NOT. The standard Birdcage FH measures 1 1/4", a 1/4" too short to be legal.

The Phantom comes in at 2 1/2", workes better, and looks nice too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#6]
damn, a 1/4, that's  a shame. I wish there was someone here frmo Maryland that could interpret the law better for me; I was hoping to build my own CAR, but seeing as how I'm under 21, I don't know how I'll be able to obtain a lower reciever separately.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#7]
 Guys I need some advice. I have a 16 inch HBAR Bushmaster flat top W/O a muzzle break. If I add the Vortex or Phantom I'll be at approx. 18 inches? Should I have the barrel cut and recrowned to 14.5 and then permantely attach a FS?  Just wondered what others are doing who don't have a MB already installed? Wouldn't want it to long.  Cost?
Thanks!!
raptor
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Liitle OT but would LEO 14.5" bbls with phantoms have been 'silver soldered' or 'blind pinned' at the factory?

Not a problem, it is considered a 16" barrel because the FS can't readily be taken off.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#9]
You could send it off to one of the companies on this board to have a 16" barrel cut down.
A Phantom Suppressor is what you would really want if you could test each side by side.
However, if for sentimental reasons you want an A2, just have a 16 inch barrel cut down to 15" or whatever size makes it 16 inches overall.

ADCO firearms does this for low price and 4 day turnaround.
Here's a cool pic of uppers that just got delivered Thurs/Fri he is doing this weekend, that Steve posted in their ADCO INDUSTRY FORUM.

Look in the ADCO INDUSTRY FORUM
They respond often and quickly to questions about this sort of thing if you need help/suggestions.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top