Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2011 6:04:26 AM EDT
First let me apologize as I suspect this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything when searching.  Probably due more to how I framed the search than anything else.  In any case I am interested in buying my first AR and am trying to decide whether to go with a Noveske 14.5" Light Carbine, LO-PRO or a 16" Light Recce, LO-PRO, both have mid length gas systems.  Appears to be essentially the same set-up with the exception of the barrel length and having a fixed flash suppressor on the 14.5.  Main use is going to be HD, plinking, range and possibly pig hunting in that order.  Any and all input greatly welcomed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a few in both configurations and the differences are small. The middy gas on a 14.5" barrelled rifle allows light recoil and faster followup shots than on a 16", but the difference is so small, it is not a hindrance. Some find the 14.5" barrelled rifle with middy gas is not quite as reliable with lower powered ammo (as in Tula), which is not a problem to me. I do like the handling on a 14.5" better, but again the difference is small.
The downside (to some) is the barrel device must be permed (without a stamp) on the 14.5", where it is easier to swap on a 16". This again, is no problem to me, as I prefer Vortex or AAC flash-hiders on mine and have no desire to swap them.
I followed the arfcom advice and got both. I tend to grab my 14.5s first, but if hunting, the 16" would offer just a bit more velocity (and range).
The differences in capabilities between 14.5/16" rifles is not great, either/both can do most equally (in my oppinion). YMMV
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 14.5" and like it, but for a 1st, definitely 16".  You may want to change the configuration later and also carbon can build up at the flash hider/barrel joint affecting accuracy.  Then, the FH would need to be cut off to clean it out.  Kinda a hassle and an expense.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The main disadvantage 14.5 over a 16" is having to permanently attach a muzzle device.....and then changing your mind....in regards to hand guards & muzzle devices.

The advantage is an ever so slightly better handling rifle....for some shooters.

In a perfect world....we would all have at least one SBR for home defense & truck guns.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top