Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2005 6:37:43 AM EDT
I understand that the BATFE says that a 14.5" barrel needs a permently attached FS to bring it up to a legal 16" without special SBR license. As far as the bullet is concerned, is it really the same as a 16" barrel? Intuitively, I would say NO. Could I get some of your opinions. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:39:29 AM EDT
shorter bbl, lower velocity...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:39:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1phantomphixer:
As far as the bullet is concerned, is it really the same as a 16" barrel? .

Do you mean ballistically is it the same?

No of course not.  The FS doesn't add anything to the MV.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:09:40 AM EDT
I'm just trying to figure the rationale of the BATFE for such a requirement.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:13:28 AM EDT

Whoever said rational thought was needed for the BATFEs requirements?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:19:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2005 7:19:48 AM EDT by TaskyZZ]
The ATF just wants to see 16 inches of metal sticking out beyond the chamber so your weapon is harder to hide.

You could have a 6 inch barrel and a permanently attached 10" fake suppressor if you wanted...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:22:18 AM EDT

it's simple.  The LAW (the NFA passed by Congress in 1934, later modified in the 1960s) says rifles MUST have a barrel of no less than 16".  Period.

So if you want a 14.5" barrel, you'll need to permanently attach something that will get the barrel to the minimum legal length or pay the $200 for an SBR tax stamp.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:25:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2005 7:26:30 AM EDT by Frens]

Originally Posted By TaskyZZ:
The ATF just wants to see 16 inches of metal sticking out beyond the chamber so your weapon is harder to hide.

+1 similar law here in Italy.harder to hide.

if this is the reason what I don't understand is why they didn't make a law for bullpups. I mean that bullpups with 16'' barrel are quite easy to hide
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:37:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Frens:
if this is the reason what I don't understand is why they didn't make a law for bullpups. I mean that bullpups with 16'' barrel are quite easy to hide

Actually here in America the Federal law covers that.

The rifle must have a 16" barrel and be at least 26" overall length.  So even if it's a bullpup you need to have a 26" long rifle.

BTW that is measured with the stock open, so if a rifle has a folding stock when folded the rifle could be shorter.

Now that is Federal law, some states have more restrictive laws which require a longer overall length, or they measure the length of the rifle with the stock folded.  IIRC two such states are MI and CA.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:51:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:

Originally Posted By Frens:

Actually here in America the Federal law covers that.

The rifle must have a 16" barrel and be at least 26" overall length.  So even if it's a bullpup you need to have a 26" long rifle.

BTW that is measured with the stock open, so if a rifle has a folding stock when folded the rifle could be shorter.

Now that is Federal law, some states have more restrictive laws which require a longer overall length, or they measure the length of the rifle with the stock folded.  IIRC two such states are MI and CA.

thanks Forest!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:58:02 AM EDT
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. As always, I learn something from this site.
Top Top