Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2003 2:13:38 PM EDT
How often do you clean your AR? I am a complete slob when it comes to cleaning my guns, and my AR is no exception. I just finished shooting a case (1000 rounds) of Barnaul (yes, cheap Russian crap) through my 20" Bushmaster, with no problems. Prior to that, the rifle had 200+ rounds, including 80 Wolf rounds. The rifle was never cleaned, and no jams!

I finally decided to clean it only because it looked like a sewer in there, and I was feeling guilty about it. During all the time it was dirty I only sprayed a bit of CLP on the bolt carrier maybe 3 times, and that was it.

Usually I clean it every 500-700 rounds, but this time I decided to finish the case of Barnaul, just to see.

I take it most people clean their rifles after a shooting session. Is there anybody else that also neglects cleaning like I do?

That Mattle poodle shooter with the "flawed" gas system is more reliable than many people think!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
i clean it all the time. the bore i dont worry about too much.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
1911ar-15,

Don't feel guilty.  I have done the same trick with autos, in a single day with round counts in the thousands of wolf ammo.

By the time your done, you end up taking a water hose to the rifle, just to get it de-slimmed enough to put it back in the case to take it home to clean.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
1911ar-15,

Don't feel guilty.  I have done the same trick with autos, in a single day with round counts in the thousands of wolf ammo.

By the time your done, you end up taking a water hose to the rifle, just to get it de-slimmed enough to put it back in the case to take it home to clean.
View Quote

Done that with full-auto ARs? Damn! I don't feel so bad now. I take it you have had no problems?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow!  And I thougth the direct impingment gas system was "flawed"!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I recentley put my Bushy V-macth through a similar test I logged a little over 4300 rounds in a few months time with no cleaning. In the end I was still able to keep MOA at 100yds. The most the rifle got was a little CLP on the bolt and trigger group. I still haven't cleaned it but it is not shooting as good as it can and it is getting annoying. It will get a good scrubbing tomorrow.

This rifle has definately built some faith in the AR platform for me.

cruizer
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I recentley put my Bushy V-macth through a similar test I logged a little over 4300 rounds in a few months time with no cleaning. In the end I was still able to keep MOA at 100yds. The most the rifle got was a little CLP on the bolt and trigger group. I still haven't cleaned it but it is not shooting as good as it can and it is getting annoying. It will get a good scrubbing tomorrow.

This rifle has definately built some faith in the AR platform for me.

cruizer
View Quote

Cruiser:
[bow]

However, that's impossible, we all know that, due to the "flawed" gas design of the AR, it jams every 100 rounds if not cleaned 3 times a day... [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, mine I actually shoot one, field strip and clean. Repeat. If I don't do this, it jams endlessly.

[bd]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]
FYI: It's best to at least clean the chamber and bore directly after shooting Russian/import ammo.  

Granted that they swear that the ammo is  not corrosive, there’s a reason that it smell like bat piss.  The ammonium in the ammo is to break down the salts that may be left in the powder/primers (surplus).

P.S. They’re no way in hell that I would put anything that slimy back in the safe. The funky smell of CLP is one thing, the reeking smell of burnt powder lingering out of the safe would get me, and the safe sleeping in the back yard for a few days (until the rifles were cleaned, and the smell recedes from both of us).
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard once that some of the "ingredients" in the powder are there because lots of the Russian stuff is designed for REALLY cold climates. Cant remember where I heard it though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Perhaps, and maybe just because the Russians are cheap bastards.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#11]
At rental shoots I have ran thousands of rounds through in a day. Then typically gotta try and wipe off most the heavy crud and put a bit of lube on in the motel to get the guns ready for the next days adventure.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top