Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/11/2003 10:05:09 AM EST
I know that in order to have an 11.5" barrel, the rifle must be registered as a "pistol". If I were interested in purchasing an 11.5" upper, what would I have to do to make it legal? Would I have to re-register the lower? Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:58:39 AM EST
No you can just make it a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) and your local Class 3 dealer will have all the paper work to help you out and even give some CLEOs who are willing to sign off on your stamp.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:22:21 AM EST
thanks dev
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:44:16 AM EST
If the lower you use was stripped when it left the factory, you can make a pistol out of it and not run afoul of the NFA. As far as I can tell, paying extra to get a lower registered as a pistol is BS. The above point is very important because in the eyes of the ATF, if you start with a lower that had a stock at one time and place a sub-16" barrel on it, the result is an SBR [b]even if you remove the stock[/b]. I would just get a letter from the factory stating that the lower left stripped to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:24:47 PM EST
I'm not planning to get an 11.5" barrel soon, I just wanted to know how to go about it if I do decide to get one in the future. I think I'm going to get Bushmaster's new Carbon 15 pistol when it comes out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:09:56 PM EST
Top Top