Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2003 10:23:15 AM EDT

Actually USAF:
"OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM -- Capt. Danny Stout, an air liaison officer deployed with the Army's 2-505 Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 82nd Airborne Division, takes a much-needed break during a classified mission in the mountains of Afghanistan. Stout, a B-52 Stratofortress pilot serving a two-year tour with the Army, keeps his eyes in the skies for hours at a time to control coalition aircraft on close-air support missions. (U.S. Air Force photo by 2nd Lt. Rebecca Garland)"
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of time warp is this. M4 barrel, veritcal foregrip, but slabside A1 upper without shell deflector and a1 pistol grip.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a USAF GAU-5/A with a new Colt M4 BBL. You'll find all kinds of different carbines in USAF arms rooms.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#3]
He seems not to mind Blackhawk gear.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#4]
funky, funky, funky

I like it
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#5]
that is just freeking cool! I really dig those old uppers makes me wanna keep mine
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Brad....  is that a GAU-5/P???  i'm starting make sense of this -5/A, -5/A/A, -5/P stuff...

-Joe
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#7]
That rifle is probaly older than that captain.  But then the B-52 he flies almost certainly is as well.

Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I see my first post-post ban build.
I wonder if he got that vest from Galls?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Neat pic.

I just noticed where he has his Knight Sling Mount Adaptor. It never even occurred to me to mount on the top rail, have to try it out.

J
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Isn't that an A2 lower? Nothing on that rifle matches.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#12]
That picture is hellacool...
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was in the 82nd we used to see those guys (FO's and FAC's) running around and it used to throw me off seeing an ARMY patch on USAF soilders. The really cool thing for them is they get to keep the unit patch on there right arm when they get back and turned back over to the Air Force provided they cross the line in the sand. From what I've seen and  this pic backs it up is that they are just as big a gear queers as Infantryman and most of the time tougher too. They get away with wearing damn near anything anyway they want even stateside on ARMY posts they just tell the ARMY it's issue for us and tell the Air Force the ARMY wants us to have this. Pretty cool dudes but all had there nose way in the air.

Glockdogg

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope,it's an A1 or M16 (no A number) lower. In fact, the entire piece from the non tapered delta ring back is Viet Nam era issue.  The stock is the early plastic coated aluminum, and I'll bet the tube is two position only. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#15]
on ARMY posts they just tell the ARMY it's issue for us and tell the Air Force the ARMY wants us to have this.
View Quote

That's funny...
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#16]
More:
[url]http://www.af.mil/search/media.asp?mediaID=6863&mediaType=1[/url]
[img]http://www.af.mil/media/photodb/photos/030801-F-0000W-001.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.af.mil/media/photodb/photos/030721-F-7685H-072.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Actually USAF:
"OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM -- Capt. Danny Stout, an air liaison officer deployed with the Army's 2-505 [red]Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 82nd Airborne Division[/red], takes a much-needed break during a classified mission in the mountains of Afghanistan. Stout, a B-52 Stratofortress pilot serving a two-year tour with the Army, keeps his eyes in the skies for hours at a time to control coalition aircraft on close-air support missions. (U.S. Air Force photo by 2nd Lt. Rebecca Garland)"
View Quote

Perhaps the selection of an upper that lacks the forward assist makes the rifle more snag-proof for jumping?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Air Force: you either use junk issued or buy your own gear, mostly everyone in the Air Expeditionary buys there own.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone remember the one member that was deployed with the Air Force and came and told us about his equipment?  They were issued old Vietnam era Air Force M16 and rifles that had M16A1 lowers with A2 uppers and crossed out AUTO with BURST scratched in.  Someone can probably link post, 30 days has past since his post.  He said that Air Force personel were just being equiped with old gear.

Heres a picture:
[img]http://www.airfieldops.com/images/IRAQ%20GROUP%20MURAL.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#20]
He's an FAC with an old GAU thats had an M4 barrel and RAS added.  The GAU version of the M16 carbine had an A1 lower and an upper without forward assist. Note the older A1 pistol grip and old style CAR stock.  Since Foward Air Controllers are assigned to front line units, they share the same ammo supply.  It makes sense he'd have a gun fitted with a 1/7 twist M4 barrel instead of the 1/12 of the GAU, since he'll be carrying 62gr M855.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#21]
You know, I bet that little thing don't weigh more than 5 and a half pounds... hmm...
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Perhaps the selection of an upper that lacks the forward assist makes the rifle more snag-proof for jumping?
View Quote

Actualy, they use weapons cases for jumps.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I like them fancy ankle guards.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#24]
That first Rifle is nothing more then a XM177E2 retofitted with an M4 barrel, RAS. Nice light simple rig there!  
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#25]
In the Marines we used to get some really old gear but I never touched a Vietnam era M16.  We use to get gear so old and falling apart that we would drop some of our beer money at Saigon Sams for gear that would hold up in the field.  We had to buy the issued stuff though.

That rifle is probably really light but I wouldn't want to do without the forward assist.  It comes in real handy on a dirty rifle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats an A1 lower, notice that there's no beefed up area near the receiver extension.  My brother is a USAF TACP/ROMAD attached to the 82nd at Ft. Bragg and said they too use those old ass weapons.  Basically the Air Force forgets about them since they're stationed at Army bases so their funding is really short.  They too wear the Army patches including Ranger, Airborne and unit patches.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I've met some of the local Air Force guys.They have GAU 5's that are set up the same way.As mentioned already they just changed the barrels and added the RAS.On another note,when I was stationed in Germany,I was on a very politcal post.Every thing was by the book.I went into the Air Force FAC's barracks and one of the guys had a Snickers bar tacked to the wall next to his bed.They do get away with alot when they are on a Army base.SJR556.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 2:29:25 AM EDT
[#28]
He's a Air force TACP he calls in close air support for the troops, but it is odd that hes wearing a patch, our Tacp's in stan wore sterile uniforms.
Quoted:
[url]http://www.af.mil/media/photodb/photos/030801-F-0000W-003.jpg[/url]

Actually USAF:
"OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM -- Capt. Danny Stout, an air liaison officer deployed with the Army's 2-505 Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 82nd Airborne Division, takes a much-needed break during a classified mission in the mountains of Afghanistan. Stout, a B-52 Stratofortress pilot serving a two-year tour with the Army, keeps his eyes in the skies for hours at a time to control coalition aircraft on close-air support missions. (U.S. Air Force photo by 2nd Lt. Rebecca Garland)"
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:17:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Cool ass pic man!  Makes me proud that I'm going into the army.  I'll be Airborne with the 82nd at Fort Bragg before I know it.  Damn I can't wait to leave.

The best to all of of our armed forces;
here and overseas [usa]  Hooah!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I also note attached to the top rail of our (KAC) RAS is one of our Modular Weapon Sling Swivel Adapters and a heavy duty push-button swivel.  He has also made his own "patrol carry sling" from what looks like 1-inch green nylon straping.
You can also see he is "wired for sound" with the many components of his ground-to-air radio system "spread loaded" between his, his vest, and his pack.
Many, many of these small Air Force units have upgraded their GAU's to the 1:7 inch twist M4 barrels/RAS, Forward Pistol Grip, M203 QD Mount, etc. during the last 18+ months.  It seems that when these post 9-11 activated military units started to roll and integrate with each other, they found themselves within RAS equipped Army units and the like.
They wanted to be able to use the same Modular Weapon accessories that everyone else was using.
Great picture of the "real deal."
Thank you for being there Captain Stout.  I hope you find yourself in the pilot's seat of a B-52 real soon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:34:56 AM EDT
[#31]
1) He is NOT a TACP. TACPs serve there entire career (with a few exceptions) with the Army. They are also ALL enlisted positions. They are also out there on the ground with the maneuver brigades and task forces.

2) This guy is is a pilot serving a stint with the army as a liasson officer (ALO). edit: He is more than likely also a mobilized Air National Guard Pilot. The AF does not have any ALO positions permanently assigned to Divisions - they leave it up to TACPs. Odds are, the Divisions TACPs are a bit insulted that Uncle Air Force decided they could not be trusted to do their jobs, and some Captain had to be flown in now to help.

3) I'm sure he is a great pilot, but I wouldn't buy gear based on what he threw together from a catalog before or during his deployment.

4) He is in the 10th Mountain, as someone has already stated. Despite the caption, his patch clearly shows this. My guess is there were liasson officers from both divisions in the area when the media was there - the dumbass reporter couldn't keep his facts straight - despite the patch.

5) He more than likely volunteered for the job, so that makes him A-OK in my book. Plus, he not being a fighter pilot means we'd probably get along pretty well. I'll still stick with the advice of actual ground pounders when it comes to gear selection, though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
He's a Air force TACP he calls in close air support for the troops, but it is odd that hes wearing a patch, our Tacp's in stan wore sterile uniforms.
View Quote

Are you sure that those were TACPs FREEFALL? And not O.G.A.?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#33]
You all noticed all the kewl features and all. [:D]
But I like the K.I.S.S AR's, oh by the way, the picture of the soldier holding  the M16 with desert cammo and the 203 granade launcher,  his muzzle brake is field with dirt, Kabooom.shocked

Take a look.

TG

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You all noticed all the kewl features and all. [:D]
But I like the K.I.S.S AR's, oh by the way, the picture of the soldier holding  the M16 with desert cammo and the 203 granade launcher,  his muzzle brake is field with dirt, Kabooom.shocked

Take a look.

TG

View Quote

Muzzle cap.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Oops, looked like dirt in a muzzle brake at first glance, but it dirt in the plastic muzzle protection.

Thanks.

TG [:)]
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#36]
They looked in my closet :)

[img]http://home.mchsi.com/~greninger/M4_kiss.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Well the rifle looks like an air force car15 so I dont think he's OGA but I could be wrong. Most of them had had regular M4's or Car15's and the one's I saw had forward assists.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you sure that those were TACPs FREEFALL? And not O.G.A.?  
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes you are correct I failed to notice he was an officer before I posted. We also had a Pilot attached to us cant remember his name but he was the "BALO" Bn/Bde Air liasion Officer we called him "Big BALO"( he was a little on the heavy side air force life must be good) he was an A10 pilot and had a case off the ass because he was stuck in a forward base instead of flying.

Quoted:
1) He is NOT a TACP. TACPs serve there entire career (with a few exceptions) with the Army. They are also ALL enlisted positions. They are also out there on the ground with the maneuver brigades and task forces.

2) This guy is is a pilot serving a stint with the army as a liasson officer (ALO). edit: He is more than likely also a mobilized Air National Guard Pilot. The AF does not have any ALO positions permanently assigned to Divisions - they leave it up to TACPs. Odds are, the Divisions TACPs are a bit insulted that Uncle Air Force decided they could not be trusted to do their jobs, and some Captain had to be flown in now to help.

3) I'm sure he is a great pilot, but I wouldn't buy gear based on what he threw together from a catalog before or during his deployment.

4) He is in the 10th Mountain, as someone has already stated. Despite the caption, his patch clearly shows this. My guess is there were liasson officers from both divisions in the area when the media was there - the dumbass reporter couldn't keep his facts straight - despite the patch.

5) He more than likely volunteered for the job, so that makes him A-OK in my book. Plus, he not being a fighter pilot means we'd probably get along pretty well. I'll still stick with the advice of actual ground pounders when it comes to gear selection, though.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
...he was an A10 pilot and had a case off the ass because he was stuck in a forward base instead of flying.
View Quote

How totally fucking unprofessional. Whatever disagreements with the AF he may have had - for you to have known about them tells me he griped too much.

To think, my anti-AF bias used to be limited to fighter pilots. Now I actually have to turn the filter on for the A-10 drivers too. Damn.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well the rifle looks like an air force car15 so I dont think he's OGA but I could be wrong. Most of them had had regular M4's or Car15's and the one's I saw had forward assists.
View Quote

I meant the guys you saw in 'sterile' uniforms being OGA.  I think the picture of the carbine is definately AF.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Did anyone also notice the last pictue, the guy with the grenace laucher was leaning on some sort of Chevy that was turned on it's side?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
In the Marines we used to get some really old gear but I never touched a Vietnam era M16.  We use to get gear so old and falling apart that we would drop some of our beer money at Saigon Sams for gear that would hold up in the field.  We had to buy the issued stuff though.

That rifle is probably really light but I wouldn't want to do without the forward assist.  It comes in real handy on a dirty rifle.
View Quote

------

Haha, yep I remember old Saigon Sam's.

How about Court street. Ended up bringing more than one tatoo home from that place.

Yeah I agree, looks like a put together.

Air Force has enough money for stealth fighters, bombers, and $400 toilet seats, but not enough for new M-4's with forward assists for the troopers headin' out to Afghanistan. Go figure.

But heck, at least he gets to take Rebecca with him.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:23:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Hi, ex Air Force SP here.  The armories always had wild assortment of stuff.  Up to 1990 we still carried A1's with triangular handguards.  I left active duty and later enlisted in Army Nat. guard as cav scout same pay grade.  I found a Singer .45  circa WWII still in use in the Guard armory.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Has anyone ever actually had to use the bolt FA to get a gun to go into battery?

DPMS I see has a no FA [i]flattop[/i] upper now. But apparently its intended for varment shooters cause it also has no dust cover.

It would make a really light carbine, however.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 3:28:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever actually had to use the bolt FA to get a gun to go into battery?
View Quote

Yes. Quite often.

1) Loads a round silently.

2) Allows a quick check to see if a round loaded, with virtually all the subtle control of a bolt action.

DPMS is no doubt saving on manufacturing  costs by streamlining those uppers.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top