Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2007 4:24:26 AM EDT
Has anyone purchased the AR-15 100 round dual drums. Are they any good? What brand and where?

thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:32:11 AM EDT
[#1]
search option is your friend
here
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:33:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Search only works if you know what your looking for. What it's called is a Beta mag.

Too damn expensive for what it is in my honest opinion.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:07:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I have handled one but have no personal experience with one.

The consensus around these board - IIRC - is that it is a pretty cool accessory to have. Fun. Reliable with no issues if maintained properly. But people here would think twice about using it in combat situations.

Why? "Reports" of failures in combat ... I don't know if the reports are accurate or true, but the stories have made the rounds here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#4]
For me price is not a factor. However I have noticed that not that many people here use them, I was thinking that due to the weight they made not feed right.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:42:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used mine about 15 times now with no issues; but I do not low crawl through sand with it.
yes they are a little heavy, but that should not be a issue at the range.

My friends get a kick of out it when I pull it out and destroy a vcr with it.

I am thinking of buying another to keep as a spare.

I am surprised that everobody does not have one, even if it is just to piss of a lib.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why? "Reports" of failures in combat ... I don't know if the reports are accurate or true, but the stories have made the rounds here.

It's a little more than "reports" when it gets to the point that a GPM comes out prohibiting it's use by Big Army.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#7]
What is the "graphite tube" that they say is included with. Also the follower looks wierd conpared to my other mags. It looks like a bullet with two ends. Is the Beta mag just drop it or do you need to make any adjustments to the follower.

thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:51:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What is the "graphite tube" that they say is included with. Also the follower looks wierd conpared to my other mags. It looks like a bullet with two ends. Is the Beta mag just drop it or do you need to make any adjustments to the follower.

thanks

you lube the mag's followers with a nice pile of graphite prior to loading up; you do not use oils in lubing the c-mag. The bullet shaped followers are actually spacers that the rounds follow around the curve. it is part of the design.

Also, the c-mag will not hold the bolt back on the last round.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The consensus around these board - IIRC - is that it is a pretty cool accessory to have. Fun. Reliable with no issues if maintained properly. But people here would think twice about using it in combat situations.

The US Army's TECOM published a safety of use message (Test Record Number S-51340) that stated: ""The C-Mag is not suitable for use in training. The C-Mag demonstrated low reliability, poor durability, poor ergonomics, and resulted in a significant increase in weight for the same combat load."

Short version.  The Army bought C-Mags to use in Afghanistan with the M-249 Squad Automatic Weapon (which also uses M16 magazines as well as linked 5.56mm).  The C-Mag performed so badly that it was repeatedly reevaluated and when it never improved in performance the Army determined it would no longer use it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:06:19 AM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

thanks

you lube the mag's followers with a nice pile of graphite prior to loading up; you do not use oils in lubing the c-mag. The bullet shaped followers are actually spacers that the rounds follow around the curve. it is part of the design.

Also, the c-mag will not hold the bolt back on the last round.

If you run out of graphite, can you buy it at any hardware store?

thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:08:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds very Heavy to me
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#12]
yes, graphite from any store, that is what I use
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I think my Beta kicks ass.  I'd like to get another before the big ban coming.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#14]
They rock for F/A, worthless for semi IMO.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking of getting one just for the 'oh shit' factor

scare a few people when they see it
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The US Army's TECOM published a safety of use message (Test Record Number S-51340) that stated: ""The C-Mag is not suitable for use in training. The C-Mag demonstrated low reliability, poor durability, poor ergonomics, and resulted in a significant increase in weight for the same combat load."

Short version.  The Army bought C-Mags to use in Afghanistan with the M-249 Squad Automatic Weapon (which also uses M16 magazines as well as linked 5.56mm).  The C-Mag performed so badly that it was repeatedly reevaluated and when it never improved in performance the Army determined it would no longer use it.

how the hell did they get beta mags to go into the adapter on the SAW?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone have some good pics of your 15 with these dual drums installed.  I have seen some on betaco.com but I like to see cilivian 15's with these monsters install

thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how the hell did they get beta mags to go into the adapter on the SAW?

thats what i was thinking, and why?  nut sacs or drums feed way better than mags.  one of my unit armorers used to have a beta c mag.  never fired it though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#19]

I have had about 20 of these over the years.
All have worked fine at the range, but they are not built strongly and I would have reservations about using one in the field.
Pat
0-1-25
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:08:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I got one! Just to have one
4 H&K mags would be buy for the money
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:10:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Those pic are nice !! I had a hard time deciding if I should buy the Black or clear back cover for the beta mag.  Are both covers the same strength.

mike
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:10:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Clear cover, tells you how much ammo you have left. I marked mine in 20 round settings with a sharpe.

Great range, USPSA mag.

DON'T DROP ONE.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:19:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Clear cover, tells you how much ammo you have left. I marked mine in 20 round settings with a sharpe.

Great range, USPSA mag.

DON'T DROP ONE.

+1

My old pre-94 beta got knocked off of a counter and broke in half.

I have a couple new ones now but I havent dropped them to test :) They do have a metal bracket that goes across the bottom of the mag body that was not present on my old model.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:25:06 AM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Great range, USPSA mag.

DON'T DROP ONE.

+1

My old pre-94 beta got knocked off of a counter and broke in half.

I have a couple new ones now but I havent dropped them to test :) They do have a metal bracket that goes across the bottom of the mag body that was not present on my old model.

VTD..do you have the black or clear model
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:27:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's "official" then. Thank's for the info.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:35:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I have two. One on .223 and one in 9mm.
The one in 9mm is actually practical to use. It is a little heavy but not that bad. I sometimes shoot in a place where Whiskey Tangos dump trash like appliances. I walk around with my 9mm SBR and the Beta mag and shoot up junk. I aim every shot but you can run though 100 rounds in a surprisingly short period of time.
The .223 one was what I bought at the end of the last assult weapons ban. There wasn't really anything I wanted that I didn't already have that was no longer banned but I wanted to buy something that the libs didn't want me to have, so I bought a beta mag. I only used it once or twice. It worked fine. No problems at all. I suppose it has it's uses. I wouldn't automaticaly say it isn't practical. But, for most purposes you would use an AR15 for, it isn't practical because of it's weight.

I might find an excuse to buy another one before they are banned again. Don't wait to the last minute to start buying stuff like this. They WILL be banned again.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top