Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/6/2006 9:56:22 AM EDT
The AR15 Ammo Oracle (http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm) lists a 100 grain black hills load as an experimental cartridge that had excellent terminal performance, but was dropped due to it's poor trajectory at range.

Here it is in gel:

What I want to know is if there are any companies making a similar heavy load at this point in time for close up social work.  I'm assuming that, if there was, it would be the "hot shit" at the moment.  Since 75 grain TAP and 77 grain seem to be the most popular, so I'm guessing they're the heaviest thing going right now?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#2]
This heavy nonsense it getting totally absurd.  If you want a .308, buy a .308!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
No factory 100 grain loads available.  Certainly not in 5.56 pressures. 100 grain bullets result in a loss of case capacity due to length if you fit them to mag length.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Just shoot 6.8 mm...better terminal effects than ANY 5.56 mm loads, yet still fits into an AR15 vs. going up to an AR10.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just shoot 6.8 mm...better terminal effects than ANY 5.56 mm loads, yet still fits into an AR15 vs. going up to an AR10.

Some people can't spend $15-20/box/20rnds.

5.56mm will kill you just as well as 6.8mm. There are not varing degrees of death.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
the hunting shack might have some.
A few months ago I was talking with Darryl? over there and he said that they were loading 100g subsonics that would cycle the action but it was only for law enforcement at the time...he told me to check back with him about availability and it might be available. I don't know anything else about it
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Some people can't spend $15-20/box/20rnds.  5.56mm will kill you just as well as 6.8mm. There are not varing degrees of death.

Well, it appears that 6.8 mm ammo is $12 for 20 rds/$116 for 200 rds at www.silverstatearmory.com/68%20ammo.htm.  I don't suspect you'll find many 5.56 mm 100 gr factory loads that are less expensive.  I am quite familiar with incapacitation and lethality.  5.56 mm can certainly prove fatal, but then so can a .22LR; 6.8 mm simply offers greater incapacitation potential and better intermediate barrier penetration than equivalent 5.56 mm from the same size M4/Mk18 size platform.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

5.56mm will kill you just as well as 6.8mm. There are not varing degrees of death.

YEAH! You tell him 20incher! He doesn't know shit about terminal ballistics!

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DocGKR is one of the world's foremost experts on terminal ballistics.  You would be well advised not to get into an argument with him about the subject, 20iner
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DocGKR is one of the world's foremost experts on terminal ballistics.  You would be well advised not to get into an argument with him about the subject, 20iner

HAHAHA laugh it up.

Retards need to learn how to read before accusing me of things I didn't do.

But I guess if it makes you happy to suck up to  "one of the worlds formost experts" on the subject at my expense, go ahead.

Tell him I said he doesn't know what he's talking about and should learn a thing or two. That'll make you appear more favorable in his eyes I bet. Anything to make you happy.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Well let this "retard" point out to you what you typed. Shall I?

How many 5.56MM vs 6.8MM tests have you performed?

will kill you JUST as well. No 6.8MM is better.

There are not varing degrees of death. But there are, getting that person dead.

I agree that 6.8MM is more expensive, but 100gr 5.56MM loads are stretching the limit. Don't you think? How much a box do you think those would cost? Can you give me a link to factory loaded 100gr 5.56MM loads that I or you can buy?

You make that statement to a guy that eats and shits the ammo information you only sit down in front of your computer, and read on this site.

Take a look in the mirror before you call people names. Ummmmmmmmmk?

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I agree that 6.8MM is more expensive, but 100gr 5.56MM loads are stretching the limit. Don't you think? How much a box do you think those would cost? Can you give me a link to factory loaded 100gr 5.56MM loads that I or you can buy?

You make that statement to a guy that eats and shits the ammo information you only sit down in front of your computer, and read on this site.

You still don't get it.

For one I never said anything about 100gr 556

I did mean that a shot in the chest with either round will very likely result in death.

Secondly, you're the one that accused me of saying he doesn't know shit about ballistics. Get off you high horse.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:03:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How many 5.56MM vs 6.8MM tests have you performed?  Tests are just that.  Tests.  Bigger bullets do not always excuse shot placement.  A 6.8mm to leg might not kill someone, whereas a .223 to the head most likely would.

will kill you JUST as well. No 6.8MM is better.  At what? Making a bigger entry hole?

There are not varing degrees of death. But there are, getting that person dead. This doesnt even fuckin make sense.  There are not varying degrees of death, when talking firearms.  A .22 can kill you, a .50bmg can kill you, a fuckin 30mm cannon can kill you.  And dead is dead.  One doesnt kill you more dead than the other.  Jesus.

*shakes head*
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You still don't get it.

For one I never said anything about 100gr 556 Then why are you posting in a thread about it?

I did mean that a shot in the chest with either round will very likely result in death. At what range? Through what armor. Did you specify head shots in your comment? See your variables are too great to make that blanket statement.

Secondly, you're the one that accused me of saying he doesn't know shit about ballistics. Get off you high horse. So you go ahead and preach to him. THAT is what I found funny!

You know what.

Just stick to bump firing.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:27:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many 5.56MM vs 6.8MM tests have you performed?  Tests are just that.  Tests.  Bigger bullets do not always excuse shot placement.  A 6.8mm to leg might not kill someone, whereas a .223 to the head most likely would.

will kill you JUST as well. No 6.8MM is better.  At what? Making a bigger entry hole?

There are not varing degrees of death. But there are, getting that person dead. This doesnt even fuckin make sense.  There are not varying degrees of death, when talking firearms.  A .22 can kill you, a .50bmg can kill you, a fuckin 30mm cannon can kill you.  And dead is dead.  One doesnt kill you more dead than the other.  Jesus.

*shakes head*

Ok Mr. Expert.

Why do we have all of those different types of rounds you listed off????

If one can do the job.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*shakes head*

Ok Mr. Expert.

If one can do the job.

Who said "one" could?

That question is like asking "why do we have different models of cars?"

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*shakes head*

Ok Mr. Expert.

If one can do the job.

We have different types of rounds that I listed off, to do different jobs.

The 6.8mm has better ballistics out to different ranges, read can actually do damage past 200m vs. 62grn M855 rounds.
A 30mm round is used to destroy tanks.
A .50bmg is used for light armored vehicles/trucks.
A .22 is used for recreation/small animal killing/whatever it was intended for.

Before we continue, I'm afraid I must ask if you are retarded?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*shakes head*

Ok Mr. Expert.

If one can do the job.

We have different types of rounds that I listed off, to do different jobs.

The 6.8mm has better ballistics out to different ranges, read can actually do damage past 200m vs. 62grn M855 rounds.
A 30mm round is used to destroy tanks.
A .50bmg is used for light armored vehicles/trucks.
A .22 is used for recreation/small animal killing/whatever it was intended for.

Before we continue, I'm afraid I must ask if you are retarded?

Thank you for making my point to you.

and am I retarded?

That might be........... The more I reply to your BS the closer I get.

Let's recap.

Author asks about 100gr 5.56MM loads.

DocGKR gives him some good info based on his numerous tests.

20iner tells him 5.56mm kills you the same as 6.8mm. Dead is dead.

A couple of us find that FUNNY!

Then you and 20iner come in a fuck it all up with your smart-ass comments, and insults.

My point that you seem to lack the ability to get, is that why do we different rounds over the 5.56MM?
You two think it is some wonder round. If it was, would they be looking at something else?

Would you need any other round? Like a 30mm .50cal???? And yes I know what they are used for.

Why have 7.62 in IRQ? Why have .50cal?

Cause it does better killing people than 5.56mm.

Yeah I'm retarded!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thank you for making my point to you.

and am I retarded?

That might be........... The more I reply to your BS the closer I get.

Let's recap.

Author asks about 100gr 5.56MM loads.

DocGKR gives him some good info based on his numerous tests.

20iner tells him 5.56mm kills you the same as 6.8mm. Dead is dead.

A couple of us find that FUNNY!

Then you and 20iner come in a fuck it all up with your smart-ass comments, and insults.

My point that you seem to lack the ability to get, is that why do we different rounds over the 5.56MM?
You two think it is some wonder round. If it was, would they be looking at something else?

Would you need any other round? Like a 30mm .50cal???? And yes I know what they are used for.

Why have 7.62 in IRQ? Why have .50cal?

Cause it does better killing people than 5.56mm.

Yeah I'm retarded!

Inside frag range, 5.56 does very well and it doesn't matter if you use 6.8 or 5.56. Outside that, sure, 6.8 wins.

But if you shoot someone at 50yrds with either round, in a vital area, death is just as likely from each round. 6.8, 7.62, 5.56, whatever, it doesn't matter. And FWIW, 5.56 produces a larger wound than 7.62. Now do you understand what is meant when "just as good/not varing degrees of death" is said? Don't take it as "5.56 is better" but rather "it doesn't matter". Now please stop getting so worked up.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not worked up.

I didn't call anyone retarded. Did I?

I think it's funny.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm not worked up.

I think it's funny.

Noticed I didn't specifically call anyone a retard.

Unless you dont know how to read and accused me of things I didn't do. I said that someone that does that is a retard.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm not worked up.

I think it's funny.

Noticed I didn't specifically call anyone a retard.

Unless you dont know how to read and accused me of things I didn't do. I said that someone that does that is a retard.

HUH?

You quoted me and and fossil_fuel and called us "retards"

I'm sorry. Did I miss what you were trying to say?

I'm not accusing you of anything. It's right there in your own post.

Now who's worked up.

Geez!

ETA: I will stop shitting on this thread by responding to others.

My apologies to the author.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

HUH?

You quoted me and and fossil_fuel and called us "retards"

I'm sorry. Did I miss what you were trying to say?

I'm not accusing you of anything. It's right there in your own post.

Now who's worked up.

Geez!

oh great now you're going to make me dig back. Did you even care to re-re-re-read my earlier posts?

Retards need to learn how to read before accusing me of things I didn't do.

Notice I did not refer to you as a retard, unless you agree that you accused me of doing something I didn't do. Like when you said

in response to

Is anything getting through? Me getting worked up? I consider using "!" and bold, capitol, and or red letters as getting worked up, something I didn't do once while you did it a lot.

regardless, I think you're swell! No hard feelings man, never were. Not so sure about your disposition however.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#25]
This thread is going nowhere...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top