Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2005 4:40:34 PM EDT
Alright boys/girls, went shooting again and brought along many of your previously advised advice.  My standing 50 yd. shots improved but I am not going to get into that at this time.  I did tuck the elbows in and I think I rolled my shoulders forward more than before.  Again thanks for the help, still need lots more practice.  Below are two targets.  One is from 50 yds. and one from 100 yds.  From a "bench rest", I laid the front of the M900 on a sandbag which was sitting on a block of wood to keep the VFG from hitting.  The butt was just in my shoulder, no bag.  Didnt take a whole of time between each shot and these were the results.  My intentions are just to know from your experiences are these average hits/groups. Should I expect more from this weapon? More from myself?  I think I know the answer; just curious what comes to mind.  Shooting tips welcome as ususal.  Thanks in advance.

This was the setup:

Target from 50 yds.:  (did I measure the group correctly?)

Target from 100 yds.:  (again, did I measure this group correctly?)

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe you want to measure center to center . Nice shooting .
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting better! The 50 yard group is damn good. The 100 yard group is pretty good. How are you pulling the trigger? Do you know when the rifle is going to fire or is it a surprise?

ETA: How are you holding the reticle on the target? In my experience, its better to try to center the reticel with the target around it evenly than to worry about whether the center of the target is under the center of the dot.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Good job!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Getting better! The 50 yard group is damn good. The 100 yard group is pretty good. How are you pulling the trigger? Do you know when the rifle is going to fire or is it a surprise?

ETA: How are you holding the reticle on the target? In my experience, its better to try to center the reticel with the target around it evenly than to worry about whether the center of the target is under the center of the dot.

Thanks guys.  Yes sir, each shot is always a surprise.  The ONLY weapon that I have that I dont shoot like that is my 870 with certain types of ammo.    I did in fact sight the AimPoint in so that the dot is in the center of the targets; not below.  So it looks like a little dot perfectly within another dot (the target).  
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I believe you want to measure center to center . Nice shooting .

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good job!!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#7]
The 50 yd groups are very good. The 100 yd group has most of the shots within the 9 ring, with the rest scattered above and below. Probably due to ammo or rough trigger pull. Also, check your scope mount for play. Nice setup.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The 50 yd groups are very good. The 100 yd group has most of the shots within the 9 ring, with the rest scattered above and below. Probably due to ammo or rough trigger pull. Also, check your scope mount for play. Nice setup.

Thanks,
All the ammo was Remington in a box like this:

Its the lowest grade ammo that I shoot.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks,

img389.imageshack.us/img389/9011/umcr7vy.jpg

Remington UMC 55gr MC I suppose. Good stuff.

Also try the Winchester 40rnd 55gr FMJ value packs. Most walmarts have them for ~$7.73.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

img389.imageshack.us/img389/9011/umcr7vy.jpg

Also try the Winchester 40rnd 55gr FMJ value packs. Most walmarts have them for ~$7.73.

Sounds good.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:16:30 AM EDT
[#13]
NOW I LIKE THAT, GREAT JOB AND NICE SHOOTING, LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE HAVEING A GOOD TIME
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:28:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Well since you brought it up

Here are my targets from a range session last week .
These are from a bench with no rest , using irons
from a colt sporter lightweight flat top that I put
together from used parts I bought here on the EE
The barrel is a 16" pencil in 1-7 with a F marked
FSB and an A2 FH .

Proof that the sun even shines on a dog's ass sometimes
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice shooting! Can you tell me what type of optic that is and what type of mount you are using? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nice shooting! Can you tell me what type of optic that is and what type of mount you are using? Thanks

If your question was directed to me; its a GG&G accucam with an M2. Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well since you brought it up

Here are my targets from a range session last week .
These are from a bench with no rest , using irons
from a colt sporter lightweight flat top that I put
together from used parts I bought here on the EE
The barrel is a 16" pencil in 1-7 with a F marked
FSB and an A2 FH .

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=42020
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=42025

Proof that the sun even shines on a dog's ass sometimes

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#18]
chrome
was that a colt bbl? very nice groups.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
chrome
was that a colt bbl? very nice groups.

Yes it was a Colt barrel .

As for the groups , that was the best I have shot
with irons in years ..... Maybe ever .

For some reason my 45 year old eyes were
working well that day . Or maybe the planets were
aligned . Whatever it was , I was
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice shooting w/an Aimpoint. My range session yesterday produced similar results. The funny thing is I shot about 150 rounds of Wolf, then broke into my stash of "good" ammo (Q3131A) and shot 20 rounds just to compare. At 100 yards the Q3131A shot so much tighter I was shocked. I know Wolf isn't target grade ammo by any stretch of the imagination, but the 100 yard group I shot with the Winchester ammo with a 16 M4gery/Aimpoint was almost as good as I can shoot with my 20" AR and a scope.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice Shooting!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:05:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#23]
With the front end on a bag and the rear unsupported, the vertical string could be related to your breathing, IMHO.  Nice groups.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
With the front end on a bag and the rear unsupported, the vertical string could be related to your breathing, IMHO.  Nice groups.

Thanks, I totally agree.  I am just now learning how to breath correctly.  Great observation!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice shooting there
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top