Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2009 9:10:10 AM EDT
why did you get a cantilever mount instead of a regular one (if you did, indeed, get a cantilever mount)? it's time to buy a mount for a new aimpoint, and just wanted to hear some feedback.

sound off.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#1]
its for the guys running night vision or magnifiers. It frees up limited rail space for those mounts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Further positioning of the dot is easier for some to shoot with.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I like it further forward for normal shooting, and it allows me to use my magnifier while I have a BUIS attached to the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Pros:
- you can mount other items behind it.  For instance I cannot open the rear dustcover of the Aimpoint on a straight mount with an LMT BUIS installed.  It gets in the way.
- larger field of view with both eyes open then if it is closer to your eyes.  As it moves closer the Aimpoint itself becomes "larger" taking up more space to your eyes then if its sitting farther away.

Cons
- consistent cheek weld is more important since, as the red dot site moves farther away, the red dot has less forgiveness as to where you eye is in relation to the site itself.  I dont know the best way to describe it.  But the closer the red dot is to your eye, the more you can move your head around and still see the dot.  As it moves farther away it restricts from what angle you can view the red dot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Two more pros, at least for me:

- Having the aimpoint forward, like a scout scope mount, let's me see around it better.  Less of the field of view is obscured by the aimpoint itself.  Shooting with both eyes open you have better peripheral awareness, even if the FOV through the aimpoint itself is smaller.  

- Having the red dot sight farther forward encourages a better cheek weld and faster target acquisition for me.  Instead of throwing the gun up and finding the dot and the target in a fairly wide FOV of a close mounted aimpoint, the aimpoint forward works like a big ghost ring and I tend to be more uniformly and correctly behind the sight and on the target.  Just the act of getting the gun up and on target tends to have the red dot centered without me really thinking about it.  That's hard to explain and YMMV, but it seems to be faster for me for all the reasons some people like Scout scope mounts.  I first started mounting mine forward to accomodate NV or 3X, but now prefer it that way even when the accessories don't require it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top