Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 2:57:23 PM EDT
here's a pic of my dedicated dog-whacker. my first ar, my first build. stag lower, m1s upper, rra 6-position stock, a2 fh, armalite lpk... 16" h-bar... arms detacheable scope mount hanging warne rings... the two-tone effect is due to the oil that got a little out of hand... this is a dedicated prairie-doggin' rig, and after some tinkering and questions, i got it dialed in pretty nice. stays sub-moa to 400 yards w/ my handloads, and have had no failures of any sort ever since i figured out how to run an ar. made its second trip to a dog town this weekend, and performed flawlessly - about 250 shots in 98 degree temps. anyway... here she be, if it will work... and apologies in advance if it turns out to be a massive pic - i have no idea how to re-size:

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a sweet rig! I can't think of anything else to add to make it better..

I guess you'll just have to start your next one now

I just finished my first lower half last night with a Stag receiver. The fit and finish was great.

I need to get the $$ to buy the upper that I want, and then I'll put up some pics of my own.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome rig! Congrats!

I miss shooting at prairie poodles. Grew up in western Nebr. and had several good towns within about a half hour of town. Now I gotta' travel at least an hour to find an iffy town.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Two thumbs up!  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
very nice looking build, congrats on your 1st Ar.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, I see, a rifle to shoot prarie dogs with.

I thought you talking about building on of these......
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks, fellas... at first, i had troubles getting the thing to run right, but once i figured out it was me (handloads were too hot), it has been trouble-free, and i'm pretty happy w/ it.

this one is almost done. i think i'd like a chip mccormick or jewell trigger in it to better fulfill its role, but even if i don't put that in, it is fine where it is at.

my second build is underway. stag lower, armalite, lpk, rra 6-position stock... in fact, the bottom half is identical to this one. but, the next one will be a lightweight. just trying to pony the money up for an upper.

the third one hasn't even been started yet - it is just a stripped receiver lounging in the bottom of the safe. not sure of the direction i'll go w/ that, but as of now, i am leaning towards a mutation on the 20" gov't... that one's a long ways away, so i'll deal w/ it when i get there.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
here's a pic of my dedicated dog-whacker. my first ar, my first build. stag lower, m1s upper, rra 6-position stock, a2 fh, armalite lpk... 16" h-bar... arms detacheable scope mount hanging warne rings... the two-tone effect is due to the oil that got a little out of hand... this is a dedicated prairie-doggin' rig, and after some tinkering and questions, i got it dialed in pretty nice. stays sub-moa to 400 yards w/ my handloads, and have had no failures of any sort ever since i figured out how to run an ar. made its second trip to a dog town this weekend, and performed flawlessly - about 250 shots in 98 degree temps. anyway... here she be, if it will work... and apologies in advance if it turns out to be a massive pic - i have no idea how to re-size:

www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/uploads/dakotasin/2005-08-04_110553_sale_group2_004.jpg

Sweet rifle Bro, Ya did good your first time out.

Question- is that a piece of foam rubber on the back of the butt. I like that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice rifle. I had one built sort like that not long ago.
You will like the medium weight barrel with the medium range scope.

Nice setup
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Sub moa out of a Model 1 barrel with a flash suppressor...................you may have just changed my plans for my next coyote upper.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I want to see pictures of EXPLODING varmints.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#11]
bronz- lol, yeah, it is. i put it on because the steel that was back there wouldn't stay on my shoulder where i put it. so, the rubber is on a trial stage now. works pretty well, so as of now, i like it.

hispeed- the scope tops out at 20x - which is more than i wanted, but when you have scopes just laying around, ya just grab the closest fit and stick 'er on... i have a 4.5-14x leupold that is almost ideal, but it lacks target knobs - and i need that one to go on a different rifle, anyway... so, this scope is overkill, but it works well. wish the objective was a 50, though, so i could get rid of a little of that gap between the bell and float tube.

jim- the rifle shoots well w/ my handloads, and 60 grain hornady v-max bha ammo (my handloads feature the same bullet)... i gather from some of the comments i've picked up that this level of accuracy is atypical, but what the hell, i'm happy w/ it. i'll put a picture up of a recently fired group - 6 shots, 100 yards... was a pretty good group.

atlanta- ask, and you shall receive... 'nuther dog shoot in the works soon. i'll try to remember my camera and snap a few pics. i've never made a kill w/ a 22 caliber anything beyond 600 yards (and the closest was a 22-250... longest kill w/ a 223 is a little under 500). heading out tomorrow to verify my turret settings are on, and will try to establish come-ups for 600 yards... as a bolt-gun fanatic, i used to think the very thought of using an auto for anything beyond 100 yards was kinda half-baked... but, the ar's i have shot, including my own, surprised me w/ their accuracy... i see no reason why 400-600 yards can't be accomplished w/ ease...

now, if i can get that pic up...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#12]
nevermind... can't get the pic to work...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top