Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 6:59:49 AM EDT
I am fairly new to the 5.56 rd looking for cheap jhp to shoot thats fairly clean. I see
that wolf has a new polymer coating anybody
tried this is it better than the old laquer coated? Also saw silver bear but I have read about the red sealer is one of these brands better than the other? If anyone knows of a place to buy brass cased jhp's for about the same price thats what I would prefer to shoot.
I found alot of fmj's cheap but I wan't something with more expansion. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#1]
If you just want a decent JHP that doesn't cost a fortune, then about your best bet would be the Federal American Eagle 50 gr and the Winchester value pack 45 gr. However, I will caution you that these are only suitable for varmints, not self defense......as they tend to lack adequate penetration for larger stuff. You aren't going to find anything very good in the Wolf price range though. The Winchester Value Packs would be about your next closest bet though.

It really just all depends on what you need it for. For smaller varmints, the loads I mentioned above will work fine. But if you are looking for something that might be used to defend your life, you need something heavier. The Black Hills 68, 69, and 75 gr BTHP Match loads all come to mind here. I would even prefer M193 FMJ to the light HP's because at least the M193 will penetrate deep enough to reach the vitals. And even though it is an FMJ, the bullet has a tendency to fragment as it yaws sideways in flesh. I would suggest looking at [url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url] carefully, keeping in mind your main purpose for the ammo. That should help you make your decision.

-CH
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I should have said my use for the ammo is only
targets I reload for hunting and defense I just
hate to wast my time loading at the price of 223 to blast with have been shooting umc fmj
but wanted more expansion.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
go8,

I'll second the wally world 45gr Value packs.

The Berm on my personal range is only 14' in height and I run steel poppers with sp's to avoid backsplatter and ricochet concerns.

Used to load my own sp's from bulk bullets and the free brass from work, but since time has gotten limited, the wally world bulk packs make sense, and are almost as cheap as loading on the Dillon!!!

As noted however, practice and small varmints only.
The 45gr bullet comes apart in a Crow!!!

Keep safe!
S-28
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#5]
You know, you shouldn't reload for personal defense.  If you ever have to use deadly force on someone the other attourney will have a field day promoteing you as building "killer rounds" or something like that.  No thanks, I'll just buy a box or two of whatever the local police use for personal defence.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Well thats a long story but the guys farm I shoot at has a acre garden with a lot of turnips left over found a .243 58gr ballistic
tip got the effect we were looking for (abliterated them) 223 is a lot cheaper but fmj
just drills a hole not much fun.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You know, you shouldn't reload for personal defense.  If you ever have to use deadly force on someone the other attourney will have a field day promoteing you as building "killer rounds" or something like that.  No thanks, I'll just buy a box or two of whatever the local police use for personal defence.
View Quote

Yeah your right wasn't really thinking I simply
ment where accuracy and reliability is a issue
I will stick to my own loads. As far as defense
in my home I don't think I wan't to fire my m4
anyway because I have children and eardrums.I keep a 870 and some factory loads close for that. I think interior walls have a better chance stopping some extra shot I know I have a lot better chance hitting them if I don't have my glasses.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top