Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2009 11:31:19 AM EDT
My bushy A2 will NOT run Wolf 62 gr. Everything else works fine. My DPMS M4 and my OTHER Bushy A2 run the stuff fine. When I load it in the fisrt A2, it sounds like a weak load, and the bolt does not cycle fully. Put the same stuff in either of the other two rifles, and no such issue. I checked the gas rings, gas tube etc. Couldn't find any difference twixt the offending rifle and the other two. Everything is clean, and in proper alignment. I have ran all manner of other ammo through the thing without a hitch, it just flat don't like the Wolf 62 HP. Anyone have any ideas? Oh, the offending rifle is a post ban, not that I can see why that would matter, but ya never know.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Some weapons just wont run with wolf. Its on the low end of the power curve.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Your gun doesn't like that flavor of Wolf ammo.
A common occurrence with Wolf ammo

If the rifle runs fine with other ammo, its the Wolf ammo, not your rifle.
Make a note of it, and don't use that flavor Wolf ammo in that rifle anymore.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#4]
To me, your rifle should eat anything you feed it.  If not, you need to identify the problem and solve it.  Switch up mags to rule that out.  Maybe changing buffers, I don't know, what raf said, etc.  All I can tell you is if it were my rifle I'd have to get to the bottom of it.  But I guess thats why you asked.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 5:24:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Some weapons just wont run with wolf. Its on the low end of the power curve.

agreed, my two carbines shoot Wolf great, my A4 seems to choke on it after a while. I have not tried it in my A1 yet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
To me, your rifle should eat anything you feed it.  If not, you need to identify the problem and solve it.  Switch up mags to rule that out.  Maybe changing buffers, I don't know, what raf said, etc.  All I can tell you is if it were my rifle I'd have to get to the bottom of it.  But I guess thats why you asked.
This is my general feeling. A service rifle should gobble what it's fed, within reason. If my other identical rifle had the same issue, I would say Bushys don't like Wolf. But thats not the case. Next step is a complete take down, to the finest pin. I WILL pin it down. I'm a bit less educated on the AR than on other weapons. If this were a 1911 I wouldn't have to ask anyone, but, alas, a guy has to garner his knowledge from somwhere when he's in uncharted territory. Thanks for all the help guys. By the time I get this figgered, I'll be quite familiar with the ins and outs of the good old Matty Mattel.Keeps things interesting aye. Happy trigger time ya'll. Oh, I used every mag I had, but never figured that was an issue anyway. In this rifle this ammo just SOUNDS wrong. It short cycles, and stacks. The other identical rifle, not the case. works like a service weapon should. Time to get out the books and micro measuring tools. If I didn't enjoy working on guns and solving problems I'd be upset. Good a way to spend my evenings as any.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep,

It would be very nice if all the wepons in question ate wolf and you didn't have to worry about it.  However............ I can tell you that in my experience with wolf, there are just some guns that refuse to cooperate.   In my case, I have a BM A2 20 inch and a Colt SP1 20 inch that are under gased with wolf.  That is just the way it is.  I'm not about to screw around with those two rifles over wolf ammo.   They run damn fine on any thing else I feed them.  

My carbines eat wolf just fine, so that is what I shoot wolf in....................  As long as the OP's problem rifle(s) run fine on other mil spec or similar ammo LEAVE THEM THE HELL ALONE!!!.

woofe
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,

It would be very nice if all the wepons in question ate wolf and you didn't have to worry about it.  However............ I can tell you that in my experience with wolf, there are just some guns that refuse to cooperate.   In my case, I have a BM A2 20 inch and a Colt SP1 20 inch that are under gased with wolf.  That is just the way it is.  I'm not about to screw around with those two rifles over wolf ammo.   They run damn fine on any thing else I feed them.  

My carbines eat wolf just fine, so that is what I shoot wolf in....................  As long as the OP's problem rifle(s) run fine on other mil spec or similar ammo LEAVE THEM THE HELL ALONE!!!.

woofe

I doubt we'll see eye to eye on this one man.  But it really comes down to the kind of person you are.  Are you a tinkerer.  Are you the kind of person who likes to tune your rifle.  I do.  When I finished my build the first thing I did after sighting in was run a few full mags of 55 and 62 gr wolf thru it to make sure it would feed anything.  Ran like a champ.  If it hadn't that gun and I would be out in the garage right now instead of sitting here typing this.  Thats the last time it'll see wolf for a while, if I can help it, but I had to know for sure.
If it were a 20" I could kind of see it but a carbine should have no trouble with wolf.

Edit:  I should have prefaced this by saying that it also depends what you're using your gun for.  Is this a weapon you consider a "go to" gun or is this a gun that is going to be sitting for extended periods of time next to other little used rifles in its safe?  If the gun is just for fun, I might notdbe quite so obsessive about it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Some people have stated that certain rifles have tighter chambers that tend to have FTE's.  But I wouldn't really know about making it SOUND totally different unless you have some sort of gas obstruction like the barrel not lining up with the FSB, perhaps the gas tube not mating with the carrier completely etc...

I taught myself all about gas flow after getting stuck with a single shot bull barrel.  Turns out the gas port didn't line up properly with the gas block.  Took a few trips to get it set correctly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not sure if this is the issue, but it's another place to look.  When I went to install an adjustable stock on my 'post ban' Bushy, I was surprised to find the 'fixed-adjustable look' post ban stock, used the rifle buffer and spring, rather than the carbine buffer and spring.  If your other two AR's are carbines, maybe the Wolf just doesn't have enough zip for the heavier buffer and rifle length spring.  It's an idea.  44 Man
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a similar problem with the RRA 20" bull barrel AR I just finished and tested yesterday. Some rounds it would fire but not eject properly, some seemed to jam in the chamber and sometimes it would not pick up the next round in the mag. It often sounded week when firing.  At the moment all I have is Wolf 75 grain hollow points. I'll have to pick up some different ammo tomorrow (if there is any in cedar City, UT) and see if it likes something else better. I suspect the tolerances are on the tight side and the Wolf is not going to make the cut.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah I've heard nothing but bad things about Wolf ammo and AR's. Almost every gun shop I've been to, the guy behind the counter is trying to talk someone out of buying it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah I've heard nothing but bad things about Wolf ammo and AR's. Almost every gun shop I've been to, the guy behind the counter is trying to talk someone out of buying it.

Not much mark up on Wolf as there is on the big name brands of Ammo....maybe. It's nice to be able to shoot the steel cased stuff for what it cost's. Some guns are just finicky with certain ammo. I've had no problems with Wolf, Brown Bear, etc in carbine length rifles or my 7" Pistol. I guess I got lucky...

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#14]
So am I right in picking up that 20" guns are more likely to have trouble with Wolf then their shorter brethren? This would make sense since the port is further from the chamber wehre the pressures would be lower. I just got my first 20" and have not had any Wolf to shoot through it but now I will have to pick some up just to see. i know my RRA Entry tactical always shot Wolf fine. it even put it around 3 moa at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top