Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2010 5:57:04 AM EDT
I know just because a round is deemed "NATO Spec" it doesn't mean it's true Grade 1 U.S. Military M855. I've heard conflicting reports on the Winchester Q3269. Some say it's the real deal, some say it's Grade 2 and available on the civillian market because it never went through the Gov't inspection process or something to that effect.

IMI has always been touted to be the "only" U.S. M855 spec ammo produced outside of CONUS, but again this is just what I've read here and there on the net.

I've used both and had good results with both, but is one better than the other?
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both and still prefer Q3131.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I wouldn't hesitate to buy either if it's M855 you want.

So between the two if one is cheaper than the other, that's the Golden Ticket?

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#4]
How about the Win Ranger M855.Might be a good alternative also.Or it it the same as Winchester Q3269?
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How about the Win Ranger M855.Might be a good alternative also.Or it it the same as Winchester Q3269?

It seems to be the same exact load at Q3269 packaged in some real pretty Ranger "L.E. Only" boxes along with a nice price hike. Being the Ranger line is there better components used, higher QC....I have no clue.

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Between the two I'll take the IMI as it demonstrates consistently better accuracy than any of the lots of Win M855 I have had.
No complaints on the Winchester, it's excellent ammo and I have fired a lot of it with no problems.
But the IMI groups tighter, even when you're not shooting for groups.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Between the two I'll take the IMI as it demonstrates consistently better accuracy than any of the lots of Win M855 I have had.
No complaints on the Winchester, it's excellent ammo and I have fired a lot of it with no problems.

That's great feedback edwin...thank you.

I take it you've seen the same consitancy and accuracy with the new 09 lot that is currently on the market?

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems to be the same exact load at Q3269 packaged in some real pretty Ranger "L.E. Only" boxes along with a nice price hike. Being the Ranger line is there better components used, higher QC....I have no clue.

I buy it for $10 a box .I don't believe that is out of line with todays prices.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#9]
[double tap
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I buy it for $10 a box .I don't believe that is out of line with todays prices.

Not out of line, however that's $75.00 more per 1000rd case than Q3269 and $65.00 more per case than IMI and you get another Two hundred (200) rounds per case with the IMI. Again, I've purchased the RAM855 myself and was happy to get it when pickings were slim, but now that there are other options I'm not so sure the value is there outside of the cool packaging.

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I take it you've seen the same consitancy and accuracy with the new 09 lot that is currently on the market?

If anything, it seems a tad hotter and just as accurate as the IMI I have from '02 or '03.
Consistency has never been a problem with IMI ammo, at least in my opinion.
All that Q3131A I have bought/fired/stashed has been amazingly consistent as well, with little variation from lot to lot.
Some have said that the Fed M193 is hotter than the Q3131A, and I think it is, but it's all over the place on consistency.

My last Win M855 was from ADCO years ago and it was on strippers, a real plus, and I can't comment on their current production.
I have LC M855 from years ago as well, an it is excellent.

But none of it has ever been better than the past/current IMI.

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I have shot both in several weapons and the IMI is always more accurate.

The IMI is truly NOT any form of rejects or seconds-it is top tier ammo sold to civilians, whereas the Federal Lake City or Winchester I truly believe is second tier
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I READ AN ARTICLE AND THEY SAID ALL FED XM193 USE USED BRASS, IS IT TRUE?
IS IT GOOD FOR LONG TIME STORAGE IN THAT CASE....PLEASE HELP , THANKS!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't think the brass is "used"... there's a post in GD by a guy who (says) he works at LC (Fed, ATK) and that the XM line are in fact "rejects" but they're coming off the same production line(s) as the stuff that the mil gets, it just doesn't pass all the QC. Check out the thread in GD, it's got some good info in it...
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the brass is "used"... there's a post in GD by a guy who (says) he works at LC (Fed, ATK) and that the XM line are in fact "rejects" but they're coming off the same production line(s) as the stuff that the mil gets, it just doesn't pass all the QC. Check out the thread in GD, it's got some good info in it...

Yes, that was a good write-up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 4:21:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have found this to be true as well, especially from the latest 2009 batch of IMI's M855 from Wideners.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top