Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2015 5:00:04 PM EDT
This gun had an Eotech, but my astigmatism was playing hell with the red dot. The Vortex Spitfire is a god send. It has the Eotech type reticle with etched glass,and can be focused like a regular scope. The red and green illumination are great as well. If you have not tried one, give it some consideration. The difference is night and day over the grainy, fuzzy Eotech reticle. The gun is an integrally suppressed 9mm SBR that is very quiet with off the shelf 115 grain 9mm.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've looked through both the 1x and the 3x Spitfires and while they are great as far as astigmatism goes I just don't like the reticle. A simple dot would do for me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Dot good with 2 eyes or 1 eye use only? My vision in my left eye (left handed) is horrendous and looking for a 2 eye dot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#3]
buddy of mine just got one of these for his ar. its seems like a very nice scope for the money. aparently they dont work with magnifiers though.. or so the internet seems to read. Palmetto state has them for $200 right now. normally $300
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
buddy of mine just got one of these for his ar. its seems like a very nice scope for the money. aparently they dont work with magnifiers though.. or so the internet seems to read. Palmetto state has them for $200 right now. normally $300
View Quote

You can get this is a 3x as well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Not huge on the reticle or the green, but the glass does look quite clear/decent for the price range it's in. Cool stuff OP.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not huge on the reticle or the green, but the glass does look quite clear/decent for the price range it's in. Cool stuff OP.
View Quote

The ones I have looked at had great glass. I just can't get past that reticle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, I have astigmatism and I've gone to the Primary Arms 1-6x ACSS reticle for my ARs.

My Eotech 557 has bullet drop compensation and all the dots looked like a line with my vision. It wasn't bad outside, but indoors I couldn't make out the individual dots.

Eotech is a great sight, but not for people with astigmatism.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:38:52 AM EDT
[#8]
i will agree with the OP, i really like my 1x spitfires for the same reason. i have astigmatism too and these work perfect for me with the etched reticle. i have tried many other red dots and eotechs and none will work for me. the only red dot that looked decent to me and was mainly a round dot like it should be was an ultradot match dot on my 22/45 ruger. i am not a big fan of the 2 outer rings and wish they would have gone with just one outer ring in the reticle but i am just happy it works for me. and they can be had used on ebay for around $150.00 and with a VIP forever warranty why not buy used if you can get a deal. i have one on a 22 build and one on a 223 wylde build and i am happy with them. i do wish they would have made the mount to perfect/absolute co witness with back up sights instead of lower 1/3 co witness.

and OP that is a sweet 9mm SBR you got there!

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:15:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Do the sights cowitness okay with a 1x? Only thing I was curious about.

I too have an astigmatism, but I'd hate to lose the BUIS if I used a 1x scope and there was some kind of optical error with the lenses.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Everyone complaining about having astigmatism, you do realize in most cases it is correctable?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Everyone complaining about having astigmatism, you do realize in most cases it is correctable?
View Quote

Yes, but still doesn't get you 100% corrected. With glasses you have to perfectly line up your eyes to look through your glasses at just the right spot. Kinda hard to do while shouldering a gun. Your eyes are able to move around to adjust for the position of your head, but the glasses stay fixed. With contacts that correct for astigmatism my vision isn't as clear as my glasses.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Vortex's website says cowitnessing with the Spitfire is not  good idea.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Vortex's website says cowitnessing with the Spitfire is not  good idea.
View Quote
I really want a QD mount for mine.  When I talked with ADM, they said they were working on one.  I certainly hope so.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#14]
it will co witness but it's a lower 1/3 co witness. i prefer perfect  or absolute co witness with my back up sights. there was a company but i don't remember who that was supposed to come out with a base or spacer that would allow perfect co witness. i have not heard anymore about it though but still am hopeful. i may see if my brother in law can make one in the family machine shop for me.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top