Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 2:01:47 PM EDT
Hello all, I just wanted to say hello and ask a question. I have a bushmaster 14.5 with the Y comp brake. Can i have asmith get this off without damageing the barrel or do i have to rebarrel? also i just picked up a 20 inch A2 BUSHAMSTER, what advantage to i have with the 20 inch vs the 14.5.Thanks for the help and happy new year:).
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Welcome to Black Rifle Madness... The Mini-Y can be removed without the need to rebarrel.  To keep yourself out of NFA territory whatever brake/comp you opt to replace it with will need to be permanently attached to keep your barrel at/over 16".

I highly recommend Kurt at KKF for your barrel work.  His work is first rate.  He has a forum here in the Industry section and offers a wide variety of muzzle brakes, comps, and 'fake' hiders...

The biggest advantages to a 20" barrel are higher velocity giving you increased fragmentation range and longer open sight radius.  A potential advantage is the longer gas system which tends to be more forgiving and reliable.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome Joe.  Glad to have another AR owner on board.  The 20" will give you higher velocity and therefore a flatter trajectory.  The 14.5 w/brake is quicker handling for CQB type stuff.  It is possible to have the brake removed, but the barrel would then be illegal since it would be under 16" overall.  Another brake could be substituted, but why bother?  Best.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the welcome, ya i was thinking of a fake flashider, the one thats 1.5 in from KKF ,also one more thing do you think H&K will let us common people have the new xm-8 in semi-auto?    
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Joe7-
I'd wait on swapping out the terrible brake on the carbine right now for two reasons. First Bushmaster came out with the perfect solution to a post-ban 14.5 muzzle brake problem (being that they all look like crap).
Check this out: [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/iz-102660-prbf.asp[/url]

It'll be a few months untill it's available so wait. Secondly, the 1994 law that say's no flash suppressors on post ban guns ends in November unless renewed.

-Mark
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey welcome Joe7
im also very new
to the AR world
Armalite here, my first
take care
cannibal................................
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:39:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome aboard and happy new year to ya!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Welcome to Black Rifle Madness... The Mini-Y can be removed without the need to rebarrel.  To keep yourself out of NFA territory whatever brake/comp you opt to replace it with will need to be permanently attached to keep your barrel at/over 16".

I highly recommend Kurt at KKF for your barrel work.  His work is first rate.  He has a forum here in the Industry section and offers a wide variety of muzzle brakes, comps, and 'fake' hiders...

The biggest advantages to a 20" barrel are higher velocity giving you increased fragmentation range and longer open sight radius.  A potential advantage is the longer gas system which tends to be more forgiving and reliable.
View Quote

I agree with all the above.  The KKF "fake hider" can help put some of the blast down range.  I love my Colt MT6601 20" A2 1/7 no comp.  Btw Welcome to the Board!  [coffee]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top