Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 7:09:13 PM EDT
I as at the range today and noticed my rounds would not chamber. I broke tthe rifle down and after a quick look did not see any issues with the barrel. Loaded another mag and had the same issue. I broke it back down to run a patch through and promptly broke the cleaning rod. When I got the rod out the upper half of the casing came wth it. I have never seen anything like this and I am wondering if anyone has and what cold cause this. Any help or insight you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:13:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 7:13:43 PM EDT by Lawman734]
Sounds like a case head seperation. Usually happens when using shit ammo made from surplus brass fired in a machinegun.

It can also happen with too much headspace, which sounds unlikely since it has run fine before.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:28:11 PM EDT
It was Remington UMC 55 gr soft tip
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:42:56 PM EDT
Remington UMC has a reputation for problems.  Avoid it when possible.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:06:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AnimalMother556:
Remington UMC has a reputation for problems.  Avoid it when possible.

Indeed it has problems, but like any ammo, the user should visually inspect rounds when loading them.

I've shot a fair amount of Rem UMC 55gr with no problems. I have often noticed that the seating depth of bullets is not very consistent -- some rounds have a few millimeters of cannelure showing.
Top Top