BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Set the barrel's gas port diameter to 0.092" + 0.001".

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

a lot of people will take these marking as the barrel being made by Bushmaster
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

We'll go with the rifle extension and mark the barrel under the hand guards.

We'll likely go with "B MP CHROME BORE 5.56 1-12".

This,

B MP has been in use by Bushmaster for years.

I would suggest marking them with your CAGE Code. "MFR 12238 MP 5.56 CHROME BORE 1/7"

There is a precedent for marking replacement barrels like this in the A1 (General Dynamics) and A2 (FN) eras so it would look authentic.  

Wpns Man

To add, I would mark them on top of the barrel in front of the FSB as is common practice if you go this route.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This,

I would suggest marking them with your CAGE Code. "MFR 12238 MP 5.56 CHROME BORE 1/12"

There is a precedent for marking replacement barrels like this in the A1 (General Dynamics) and A2 (FN) eras so it would look authentic.  

Wpns Man

To add, I would mark them on top of the barrel in front of the FSB as is common practice if you go this route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

This,

I would suggest marking them with your CAGE Code. "MFR 12238 MP 5.56 CHROME BORE 1/12"

Wpns Man

Fixed it for ya...
Also, They could just go with the BRN to differentiate from Bushmasters if they didn't want to go with the mfrs code.
P.S. - If they are going to be laser engraved, please keep it out of sight under the hand guards, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fixed it for ya...
Also, They could just go with the BRN to differentiate from Bushmasters if they didn't want to go with the mfrs code.
P.S. - Please keep the laser engravings out of sight under the hand guards, thanks.
View Quote

I used that example as some of us were discussing 1/7 barrels. It would also be appropriate for 1/12's.

My placement recommendation was based on their most recent discussion of using Roll Stamps.

But I will agree, if you are going to use laser engraving put it under the handguard. In which case, no one will particularly care how they are marked.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This,

I would suggest marking them with your CAGE Code. "MFR 12238 MP 5.56 CHROME BORE 1/7"

Wpns Man

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

This,

Wpns Man

I actually like this idea better. As long as it is roll stamped and not laser etched. Otherwise I would hide them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I actually like this idea better. As long as it is roll stamped and not laser etched. Otherwise I would hide them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

This,

Wpns Man

THIS.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Since we're doing the wish list thing, it'd be best if the FSB were attached with TAPER PINS.

Thanks either way, though. One more reason to shop Brownells!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I really hope they consider doing the 1/7 first,

AR15sports already does a ready to mount 1/12 and 1/9 that are chrome lined.

A 1/7 would give Brownell's the market share as no one else offers this ready to go.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I really hope they consider doing the 1/7 first,

AR15sports already does a ready to mount 1/12 and 1/9 that are chrome lined.

A 1/7 would give Brownell's the market share as no one else offers this ready to go.

Wpns Man
View Quote

The 1/9 isn't chromed is it?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Really unsure as I have no interest in one,

However, they do offer a 1/9.

Point being Brownells could carve out a niche for themselves by being the only game in town for a ready to roll 1/7.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thank you for the heads up on the possible confusion.  Using the CAGE Code sounds pretty good.
At this point, we'll laser engraving beneath the hand guards on the right hand side with "MFR 12238 MP 5.56 CHROME BORE 1-12".

Thanks again everyone!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

This,

Wpns Man

Thank you for the heads up on the possible confusion.  Using the CAGE Code sounds pretty good.
At this point, we'll laser engraving beneath the hand guards on the right hand side with "MFR 12238 MP 5.56 CHROME BORE 1-12".

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for asking!
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#13]
+1,

I appreciate the fact that you are asking for user input before manufacturing this product.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
+1,

I appreciate the fact that you are asking for user input before manufacturing this product.

Wpns Man
View Quote

THIS. Obviously this is why Brownells has such a great rep. Customer service begins with asking what people want. Thanks for asking!
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
<------ patiently waiting
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
<------ patiently waiting
View Quote

So am I. Also waiting for another wave of parts kits.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I vote rifle extensions and markings on the under side. How about some a1 lowers lol.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#18]
As far as the markings, I'd like to see them in the same place as the originals' markings, on top and forward of the front sight base. I like the markings you guys chose, but would rather see them there as opposed to hidden underneath the handguards.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll be difficult and as for 605 barrels!!!!!  
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks again everyone!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

This,

Wpns Man

Thanks again everyone!

i knew i had kept them ole "lm" 603 uppers for a reason. this will make the perfect "shitty" 603 rebuilds.
dam shot show i am ready for some brownells retro goodness now

thanks brownells, let us know as soon as they hit the shelves please.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:02:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

View Quote

I don't post much here, but I have to say...If that's the way you're going to do your barrels, YOU GUYS FREAKING RULE!!!

Someone actually listening to their customers..that's just crazy talk.  

Thanks guys.  It may be a year out, but I'm planning a retro build and I know where I'll get my barrel now.

Kevin
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:56:41 AM EDT
[#23]
A little late to the party.  My assumption is most everything is geared up and running so twist rate is possibly mute at this point.  Laser engraved,  keep it out of sight.  Roll stamped,  on top like originals. Cage style would be a step above the rest of the competition.   Make sure paperwork / invoice has twist rate as over time I've seen unstamped and unmarked barrels and paperwork/ invoice / receipt devalue products on the auction block.  

One can easily determine twist rate but it does cause a little doubt at time of sale / re-sale IMO.   Twist rate 1-8 probably preferred the most today for .223 / 5.56 shooting but most anything will suffice as retroland is usually about availability and price with attention to detail such as FSB diameter,  actual finish,  etc. Colt grey sells whether in a paint can or on a rifle / carbine barrel, receiver  or AR small parts.  

1-12 has limits on bullet weight/ bullet stability but is most retro correct and as stated previously the niche market today would be 1-7 twist with little to no competition,  competition already exists with 1-12 twist with 2-3 other vendors at same target pricing.  Possibly one of these sources is even making the barrels in question.  Rifle extension or both types at some point in time as even the flat top users will want 1-12 twist for the lighter bullets and varmits which Brownell's already sells and flat tops without M-4  ramps are getting harder to find by the minute.  The slower twist barrels are also pretty hard to come by.  M-4 ramped barrel works better on both style receivers but rifle extensions are definitely politically correct for the retro receivers made by NDS and the surplus pieces and current production C-7 and A-2 receivers available.

Also a very long time Brownell's customer who purchases and recommends your AR parts regularly and who thanks ya'll for the retro commitment.  I do think a 1-12 twist even in a 16" chrome lined barrel or shorter would also be a niche market for retrohead and the light bullet shooter.  Basically only Colt made these with 1-12  rate in limited production numbers and they fetch a premium when or even available and sell immediately regardless of price generally.  Hard to sell a barrel for much more than the competition at target price of $200 but pretty easy to sell a copy of a barrel that has no competition and runs $400 plus for original authentic if and when available for more than the  target price of $200.

Regardless,  the market for these mentioned barrels is limited today in scope of the AR platform but the niche AR pieces command more coins and will always have a market of some sort even in a  tough economy.  AR trend is changing from the tacticool to retro, SBR, niche,  etc. and keeping up with the changes increases one's customer base generally.  It appears today that the niche rifles are rapidly gaining market share and something that would be appealing to more than one interest group has to be a win! win!  Thanks again for asking!  That shows a commitment and a willingness to invest resources in a time where many business's are content to sit back and lose market share to the point of extinction.

Another high  market, high demand  item would be a Colt grey colored LPK in semi auto flavor without the tic on right side side or end of selector switch.  This makes it look very retro and would also look very cool on most any AR build.  Heck even ambi option for those who have to have everything.  We're simply talking about anodizing the aluminum mag button and trigger guard and parkerizing other parts in a zinc phosphate style color.  With bulk purchasing this would be a niche market and even using sub contractor quality S in square marked FCG pieces could easily command more coins than today's high supply inferior quality LPK's.  

This would also keep the retro masses from being constantly exposed to phosphoric acid turning the black parts grey and possibly keep the cancer in the Cali mice (you can drink Coke Cola but not toilet bowl cleaner).   If not committed to the complete LPK I  think offering Colt grey trigger guards and mag buttons in Brownell's re-pack for retro builds would command a premium price that many out there would quickly pay.  For example authentic Colt grey trigger guards quickly bring $20 ea and authentic Colt greyish mag buttons $5-10 also pretty quickly.  In kit form you do get more coins out of the wallet on one purchase than a couple small parts all with an easy 2-300% mark up when resources are purchased in bulk quantity..  

Since you asked!  Brownell's user dbaugh14.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#26]
OK, I just looked for these on the website...Where are they?  I want one!

As for the 1/7 twist, I'd say only offer that if you continue to offer 1/12, or maybe do 1/9.

With the looming ban on M855, there might not be a reason for 1/7 twist anyway.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Edit. Nevermind.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
1/9 is the best twist for M855, not 1/7.

I want a 1/7 to shoot 70+ grain bullets.
View Quote

Sounds like they should probably offer both a 1/7 and a 1/12 in the future.

I'd buy a 1/12 or two for sure, since I primarily shoot M193.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#30]

I'd buy a Chrome Bored 20" 1/7 Pencil Barrel right now if I could get one !!!!

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#31]
How are the FSBs attached?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Manufacture the barrel utilizing a 1/9" twist.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
good catch, I see no taper pins in the pic

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How are the FSBs attached?
good catch, I see no taper pins in the pic

If they don't use taper pins it's a deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Taper pins?  Appears to be a mock up to me with new uninstalled FSB.  Is a good catch, as many of the barrel manufacturers out there today have cut their initial production / manufacturing costs using straight pins only to increase end user expense,  at best at a later date during barrel life expectancy.  The taper pins securing the FSB are a must if looking to be the leading industry partner of this niche market and I personally believe Brownell's,  a vendor with a high quality control reputation wouldn't even consider using straight pins.  Heck they could  easily partner up with NDS or such and offer a complete retro upper or package deal with retroland's high attention to detail without entering the weapons manufacturer market.  

A new retro headspaced and tested upper receiver combination should easily be obtained for what most are paying for our well used surplus retro pieces today.  Especially since many have caved over the years to using reproduction parts simply due to economics or scarce parts availability.  NDS is already providing many of the highly desired in many instance's unobtainable pieces the retro clone builder desires and have been doing so for quite some time now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Taper pins?  Appears to be a mock up to me with new uninstalled FSB.  Is a good catch, as many of the barrel manufacturers out there today have cut their initial production / manufacturing costs using straight pins only to increase end user expense,  at best at a later date during barrel life expectancy.  The taper pins securing the FSB are a must if looking to be the leading industry partner of this niche market and I personally believe Brownell's,  a vendor with a high quality control reputation wouldn't even consider using straight pins.  Heck they could  easily partner up with NDS or such and offer a complete retro upper or package deal with retroland's high attention to detail without entering the weapons manufacturer market.  
]
A new retro headspaced and tested upper receiver combination should easily be obtained for what most are paying for our well used surplus retro pieces today.  Especially since many have caved over the years to using reproduction parts simply due to economics or scarce parts availability.  NDS is already providing many of the highly desired in many instance's unobtainable pieces the retro clone builder desires and have been doing so for quite some time now.
View Quote

That would be the end of my bank account and probably my marriage.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#38]
If these were made in 1/7 or 1/8 and the proper profile and all the details, I might be tempted to swap out my original A1 barrel for one of these, so I could use the same ammunition "all around."  If they were made in 1/9, I'd likely just stick with the original "clone" part, and make sure not to feed it anything too heavy like I do now.  

Carbine barrels in the correct M16A1 profile in 10", 11.5", and 14.5" would be nice, as well as perhaps 12.5" barrels for those who want to do non-NFA XM177E2s.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Good catch on the pins! The production barrels will have the front sight base installed with taper pins.
View Quote

Price point known yet?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#41]
been waiting since december for these to hit the shelves, lets go
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:52:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Any update on when these will be available?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:03:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Any update on when these will be available?
View Quote

+1 I can't wait to get one and chop it all up for a 605 barrel.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:47:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Price & release date?
Pretty please?
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Don't rush the chef, bartender or barrel maker......
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've prepared my own meals & mix my own drinks for soo long now that when it comes to obtaining replacement parts - time IS of the essence as I'm not getting any younger.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've prepared my own meals & mix my own drinks for soo long now that when it comes to obtaining replacement parts - time IS of the essence for me as I'm not getting any younger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've prepared my own meals & mix my own drinks for soo long now that when it comes to obtaining replacement parts - time IS of the essence for me as I'm not getting any younger.

I'll second that....me too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#48]
I think I may very well be the youngest Retro member that's been around 5 years or more, 8 year Retro Veteran just turned 31. If there are any youngster Reroheads out there please stand up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think I may very well be the youngest Retro member that's been around 5 years or more, 8 year Retro Veteran just turned 31. If there are any youngster Reroheads out there please stand up.
View Quote

26 but I'm just a dumb '13er.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#50]
I am also 26... and dirt poor thanks to you guys. Soon to be even more so when these barrels show up.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top