Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/13/2010 7:10:14 AM EDT
I am currently waiting for my BCM stainless barrel and Vltor stainless clamp-on gas block to arrive, but I'm worried about how to install the gas block. I know the common answer is to red Loctite the screws, but If I ever have to remove the block, I'm worried applying the heat necessary will discolor both the barrel and gas block. So I have two questions that you guys can answer to help me:

1. Will a butane soldering iorn be able to apply sufficient heat to losen the red threadlocker on the clamp screws to remove them? I theorize this will prevent the gas block and barrel from discoloring because it will apply heat in a very specific location.

2. Would it be a good idea to use different bolts that allow me to saftey wire the two bolts eliminating the possibility of losening? If I were to saftery wire them, I would not use any Loctite. I like this idea better than the using red Loctite, but has anyone ever done anything like this on a firearm before?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#1]
You clould use a heat gun to heat the block. I have removed the screws in my gas block with red lock tight with out any heat at all. Just make sure you use a good set of allen keys that won't strip and give them a little muscle and they will pop free.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#2]
use a red hot poker on the screw head.  It will work and the heat is only applied where needed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#3]
You only need about 400°F to loosen red loctite.  Thats why it is not the best option for gas blocks...they can get over that temp under sustained fire.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I just installed the Vltor clamp on low profile gas block on my build.(18" WOA spr bead blasted stainless barrel). The block was real tight on my barrel and I oiled up the barrel and used a small screwdriver to gently pry the block open a bit so it would slide on without damaging the finish of the barrel. Bead blasted ss barrels get "shiny" real quick when scuffed. I used ss buttonhead screws to get it to clear a larue 12" rail. I didn't  loctite the screws. I will after test firing. It doesnt take very much tightening, Vltor gb are real tight toleranced units.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You only need about 400°F to loosen red loctite.  Thats why it is not the best option for gas blocks...they can get over that temp under sustained fire.

this is true.  you wont need to apply any heat at all after you put a few hundred rounds through it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#6]
You won't need any loctite anywhere on a clamp-on base. If it only has the little set screws, then I'd consider blue or green medium strength.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is true.  you wont need to apply any heat at all after you put a few hundred rounds through it.

+1 if you need to remove it just shoot it then loosen the screws. Plus I'd only use a small amount on such a small screw. I once used red loctite on 3" axel nuts on my quad(ATV) since they kept loosening and they never moved again; point is that stuff is crazy strong!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top