Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 5:19:06 PM EDT
Hey everyone, just wanted to say I got my first AR.  Its a Bushy 16" carbine with A3 sights.  I also picked up an Israel Orlite mag, they are an ugly mag IMO, but they seem to have a good reputation around here for being reliable.  I cant wait to get it to the range, and am just cringing at the money I just dropped for it, although the price was decent, not incredible, but decent.  I also have a question, I currently do not have a one piece coated cleaning rod, am going to have to find one.  I do have a safe t clad coated sectional rod from Kleenbore.  Will this be OK to use until I get a one piece rod?  Thanks for all replies, I wish I had a digital camera to post a pic of my new baby!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]Congratulations on your new (and FIRST) AR !![/b]

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking re the cleaning rod so I'll leave that for others.

Does your rifle have a stainless or chrome lined barrel ??
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on the new rifle! [beer]

You may be able to find some info on your one piece cleaning rod in the Maintenance & Cleaning Forum that is hear on the AR board. I  just use a standard GI cleaning kit for my rifles.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, its a chrome lined HBAR barrel.  I am just worried if the protective coating over the sectional cleaning rod I have will be protective enough and not damage the bore if I use it for a little while until I can pick up a one piece coated rod like a dewey.  Thanks, and thanks for the congrats!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:51:01 AM EDT
[#4]
You won't have any problem using the rod you have until you can find the one you are looking for.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:08:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the AR family!

YES! Must post pics of new baby!

We love pics here at ARFCOM!

Take care,
CC
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:15:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations! Go to Brownells's or call them, they will send you a catalog. They have all kinds of great cleaning accessories for the AR. Sinclair International is another decent source.

Of course, we all know that you are over on the EE, looking for stuff to bolt on that blaster!

Mark
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the 'Black Rifle Club'!

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats, keep your checkbook and credit card close at hand! Now the fun starts.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:30:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Congratulations on first AR.  Now you can save for another. [:D]  I also use the standard usgi cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:33:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I've always used the GI cleaning kit that stores in the stock.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:00:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone.  I am pretty excited about it, but have not had a chance to shoot it yet.  I have other weapons (AK, Sigs, Glock, etc) and am very accustomed to cleaning and maintaining guns (read that as religious about it!), but the thought of messing up the bore of this AR is killing me!  I already had a Kleenbore .22 borebrush get stuck in the barrel, and am scared I may have somehow scarred one of the lands getting it out, but I cant tell for sure.  I almost crapped myself when that happened!  I hope I havent ruined my accuracy.  I may take it to the range today, so we will see soon!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:28:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I have had mixed results with orlite mags, work fine in my bushy,but not so in my Armalite.Good luck and enjoy.  Which black gun is next?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a Hoppe's BoreSnake instead. One pass does it all! Just drop the weighted end down the chamber and pull it through the muzzle end. Costs about $15.00 most anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#14]
AR15nut, I am not sure which black gun is next.  I hope nothing for quite a while.  The AR has pretty much broken my toy funds for a while.  John316, Yeah, I probably am going to have to pick up one of those boresnakes.  Also, now that I have shot about 100 rds through it (it functioned perfectly by the way), I was adjusting the windage on the A3 sight and was getting a 50 yd group of about 2 1/12 moa.  I am admittedly not the greatest shot in the world, but is this a respectable enough group to be able to say the land I was worried about was not damaged?  Thanks for all replies.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top