Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2004 8:13:40 PM EDT
With all the talk and inflation of the IR designators/lasers out there I was wondering why can't you take a high powered laser such as the OTAL and just change the diode with an IR one that they sell themselves or install a filter such as used by surefire on their lights.
Link Posted: 4/4/2004 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
tagged!
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 4:21:25 AM EDT
[#2]
not really familiar with either the OTAL or OTS IR laser diodes, but if the diode requires external lenses  then the visible light optics won't work.
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
BadSVT, I am pretty sure that LD will NOT sell an IR diode to anyone without the proper ID.

C4
View Quote

You guys need to spend some time with the search engine on EBay. Most of the IR diods are crap but a few are very, VERY, powerful and might just work. I have not done it myself but have looked into it deciding it was too much trouble as I already have an IR laser.

Bob
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I did a quick search online and found severl companies offering IR diodes for reasonable prices, I just wonder if they will be compatible with an OTAL.
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I did a quick search online and found severl companies offering IR diodes for reasonable prices, I just wonder if they will be compatible with an OTAL.
View Quote

is there a schematic available?

Link Posted: 4/5/2004 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

is there a schematic available?

View Quote

We're men, we don't need schematics!
Link Posted: 4/11/2004 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.lasermate.com/index.html[/url]

Got this link from another thread a few weeks back.

Link Posted: 5/1/2004 1:49:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been doing some snooping around, and it looks like Laser Devices might even sell the components to you (or to two separate parties). They sell complete "ready to go" diodes in the 835nM (infrared) spectrum.  

Their web site even says "Find the solution to all your laser applications from building your own laser pointer to assembling a laser module for alignment purposes or testing. You can find it all right here. All parts are precision designed to give you the highest quality possible."

It is not illegal to own one of these or convert one, it is just "frowned upon" to sell them to non police /non government agenices (plain old civlians)....at least this is how I understand it.

I think all we need are some schematics....or some of you smarty pants out there that know all about laser wiring jobs.

Laser Devices Page with info

Now I just need to find a used OTAL  

Please let me know if any of you guys can get your hands on a schematic !!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Why would you want to ruin the warranty on a perfectly good OTAL when their are other IR lasers available. Remember IR lasers also require expensive NV, without it they are worthless. Thats why I sold my AN/PAQ4C. I had zero places to shoot at night and did not see a reason to spend $5,000+ on NV to have it just sit in a safe.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#13]
My Newcon (thanks bob), and corsak, rest peacefully next to me in bed every night. I figure even gen1 would be less of a position give away then a flash lite, and an ir laser just makes you feel cool. I've got less than $600 in both, and if the lights don't come back on some night, then it will seem more worth while.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#14]
black gun,
that's pretty interesting ,what ldi's web page re: the diodes.
it seems that if one can find out what model #  or size diode assy. the otal utilizes.
you can replace it with a ir diode with the same size. it even tells you how long you should solder the leads for and temp. limits for the solder. so in theory it can be done. now trying to find an otal to experiment on is another question. wonder how much the diode assy. is selling for.

meat

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Why would you buy a used OTAL when you can get a good price on a new one!

C4

www.gandrtactical.com

C4 - I can't find them on your web sight....can you email me a good price?  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Why would you want to ruin the warranty on a perfectly good OTAL when their are other IR lasers available. Remember IR lasers also require expensive NV, without it they are worthless. Thats why I sold my AN/PAQ4C. I had zero places to shoot at night and did not see a reason to spend $5,000+ on NV to have it just sit in a safe.

You have a good "point" (pun intended )....I was just going to buy an "inexpensive" Gen I to play around with, and see if it was a cool set up or not.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
black gun,
it seems that if one can find out what model #  or size diode assy. the otal utilizes.
you can replace it with a ir diode with the same size. it even tells you how long you should solder the leads for and temp. limits for the solder. so in theory it can be done. now trying to find an otal to experiment on is another question. wonder how much the diode assy. is selling for.

meat

Yes...this is the problem ....ah there is always a problem...and a kind of expensive one at that. I might try to find a less expesive laser to experiment with, but it sure would be neat to utilize the OTAL casing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#18]
hey guys,

heres my $0.02

yes you can change out the diode, easiest and cheapest way to do it to find an old cd player, remove the diode and install in your laser for ir.
quick , easy and works.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
hey guys,

heres my $0.02

yes you can change out the diode, easiest and cheapest way to do it to find an old cd player, remove the diode and install in your laser for ir.
quick , easy and works.

Can you give us some more detail on this? Sounds cool...and I just happen to have an old CD player laying out in my garage.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would you buy a used OTAL when you can get a good price on a new one!

C4

www.gandrtactical.com

C4 - I can't find them on your web sight....can you email me a good price?  

E-mail sent with price info...

C4www.gandrtactical.com

Thanks C4 - email sent back to you  
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
black gun,

meat

Can you do any research to find out what IR diode is used in the OTAL IR? I am going to buy one, and perform the experment ....... I need a mad scientist laugh now......"ahhh ha ha ha ha ahhhh ha ha ha!!!"  
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#23]
blackgun,

all i know about the otal is that the visible diode is a 635nm and the ir diode is the 835nm.
it's kinda interesting what spectr has posted though......
this might be a cheaper way to go to experiment. with just a $20.00 laser,swap it out with a cd laser and see if it works with nvg's. still wonder how effective just the cd laser is.
i'm still interested to see what happens

meat
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#25]
That is what I was kind of thinking too....I will keep you guys updated on my work. I am going to buy one of the cheepo specials to start out my experiment with, and buy the OTAL in 2 months.  
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top