Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2003 1:16:18 PM EDT
Hi all!
Thanks for rour responses They were very helpful!
mikexxxx
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If this lower receiver was not built into a complete rifle prior to Sept. 1994, it is *NOT* a legal pre ban. It is a post ban and is worth no more than whatever a stripped lower costs now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Its worth, by your admission, about $150...
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info!
mikexxxx
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the AR Discussion Board. Look at the "Legal Pre-Ban Lower Question".
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Those of us who are building M16A1 clones would probably pay a few bucks more for the reciever, even if it is post ban because of never having been built; simply to get an A1 profile lower.

Which is, I guess, a roundabout way of sying "contact me if you're interested in selling it" [:D]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#6]
If you owned all the parts to assemble the rifle into a rifle before the ban took place then its a preban.  You dont actually have to have assembled it.  Even if you did not who is to say that you did not have the gun assembled before before 94 provided you owned it that long?  I personally paid $1200 for an unused, unfired preban Bushmaster lower complete with collapsable stock.  It was much older than the ban and was transfered as a "preban lower taken off preban rifle" by the FFL who sold it to me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#7]
IT's damn tricky,
Bushy's have 2 serial number groups, one that are "pre-ban" having been assembled into that configuration by the factory, and a group that were sold as receivers and aren't "pre-ban" unless they were assembled prior to the ban.  

I've always heard that the burden of proof is on the owner.

I guess my main question is, if you get busted for having a post-lower with pre-parts on it, what did you do to attract the ATF's attention?

Most average cops aren't well enough acquainted with the law to know the difference, and they don't carry a list of serial numbers around with them.  Even so, if you've got a problem with the police taking a look at your rifles, you probably did something naughty to tick them off.  

As for the ATF, if they come a knockin' you had to do something to get their attention and the pre/post issue is probably the least of your worries.

That said, I spent 750 for a pre-ban bushy with telestock-attached from a dealer.  

Hopefully, that ridiculous "crime bill" is allowed to sunset next year and pre/post will be the terminology of nostalgia.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:31:30 AM EDT
[#8]
If it was sold prior to the ban and hasn't been transfered since.....

GET A BRAIN AND PUT A COLLAPSIBLE STOCK AND CHEAP PRE-BAN UPPER ON IT!

That way you will be able to sell it for about 10 times what it is worth in stripped config.

[b]I just read about how Pres Bush says he wants to renew the AW BAN

I RECOMMEND YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE SEND BUSH A LETTER AND LET HIM KNOW HE WON'T GET OUR VOTES IF HE DOESN'T CHANGE HIS POSITION

I WAS PLANNING ON VOTING FOR HIM AGAIN BUT THAT IS A DEAL BREAKER TO ME HE CAN'T SLAP ME IN THE FACE AND GET MY VOTE.[/b]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Mike, have you owned this since before the ban?  If so, and I were you, I would be VERY tempted to delete this thread and put her together....

But, legaly a striped lower that was never assembled is worth about $150-$170 while one that was assembled before the ban is worth about $1000....

Hmmm, are you sure you never assembled it?  Delete this thread and take it from there!  Now, if this was ever transfered as a stripped lower since the ban, then I would be a little more cautious about this as there could be a paper trail that demonstrates she remained a stripped lower....

Then again, so does your admission here...  did I say... DELETE this thread... and do as you feel best!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top