Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2015 2:57:28 PM EDT
I'm looking for direction for my Colt 9mm Build. I actually wish I could find the link of one share back at the 1st of the year as it was a fairly cool set up.

So far the Core Parts that has been collected for the build are..
NDS 601 Lower
Early Colt 9mm A1 Upper
16" Carbine Barrel- Pencil
Type D & Colt N Marked Car Stocks for use
6 Hole HG's & Riffle length to choose from

Originally I had planned to build a basic 9mm carbine, but after just finishing up a XM177E2 build and remembering the other 9mm link, I've started leaning towards a 604.5ish maybe either in full length rifle hand guards or cut down for a mid length.
There has to be others out there that has done a fun 9mm project or two that could share some pictures or ideals I could use. Right now the main limiting factor is I'm not wanting to chase a SBR build...I may do that down the road but not now.

Any Ideas on a direction for this project?

" />

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice parts,

I'm in the early stages of my first 9 mil build. I would suggest maybe a DOE, but you don't wanna SBR (maybe pistol it?). I've got my hands on a Colt  "C A" 9mm upper and a 16 inch colt barrel. Prolly just gonna do a 6450 build from Colt parts (I'd like an SBR, but the time isn't right), resulting a nice little carbine that'll be cheaper to shoot than my 6920. Gotta get my hands on some Colt slim hand guards and LPK, i gotta figure out the hammer.....ive seen both 5.56 and smaller hammers on Colt 9 mils. Good luck deciding and working on your build

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I assembled this one from a de-milled Colt SMG.  The lower was already a RSBR originally in 5.56.  It has a worn finish, but the internals are in excellent condition and it shoots great.  The mag is a modified UZI. I picked up 10 of them new in the wrapper for $6.00 each and modified them myself.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I assembled this one from a de-milled Colt SMG.  The lower was already a RSBR originally in 5.56.  It has a worn finish, but the internals are in excellent condition and it shoots great.  The mag is a modified UZI. I picked up 10 of them new in the wrapper for $6.00 each and modified them myself.  

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt118/fortis120/9mmAR_zpsfaf51602.jpg
View Quote

This^^^^^^
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The Mrs. says it makes for a great camp gun.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Fortis,

If you don't mind sharing, how did you modify those Uzi mags to feed well in the colt?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I slid the mag block over the mag until it was snug and penciled in the mag catch opening and then cut it with a dremil tool.  The attached video is similar to what I did but required actually measuring the mags.  I used a Hahn Top mount mag block on my gun, so the Colt one that came with the kit was available for a template.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoSLgZIGxFA
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I slid the mag block over the mag until it was snug and penciled in the mag catch opening and then cut it with a dremil tool.  The attached video is similar to what I did but required actually measuring the mags.  I used a Hahn Top mount mag block on my gun, so the Colt one that came with the kit was available for a template.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoSLgZIGxFA
View Quote
thank you sir! you da man

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt118/fortis120/9mmAR_zpsfaf51602.jpg
View Quote

Nice. Goin' Commando...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I can help if you need DOE inspiration ... Maybe you could make a mid length DOE?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Man I love the looks of those short barrel machines, that's what I really want, I just don't really know about legally how to get there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Man I love the looks of those short barrel machines, that's what I really want, I just don't really know about legally how to get there.
View Quote

The process isn't that bad . Find a local class 3 and they will
Help get the paperwork started. 200$ and a little time later and your in biz .
You can build it as a pistol and shoot it while you wait on your stamp.
Once approved you can slap a stock on it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I was going to say DOE file form whatever for an SBR, get a trust first to do it through, so no finger prints, pictures, Leo sign off,etc.  That's what I eventually will do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I say build a faux 605 out of it if you didn't want to go the SBR route. You don't need the gas system anyway so pin a FSB on at the rifle position on a 16 inch barrel to hold the hand guards and give you a longer sight base and use your rifle HGs and fixed stock. Makes for a handy carbine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#14]
A 9mm 605 would be pretty cool. A 9mm mid length 607
Would be pretty cool too
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top