Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 7:31:28 PM EDT
I have a Bill Springfield 3# trigger and I really like it BUT I had a light strike on the primer causing no firing this past deer season. temp was 20 deg. and a 10 mph wind. Is this comon when the temp goes down, does the cold "weaken" the spring. I missed a nice deer this year do to this and am wondering should I change it to a 4# trigger spring to get more omph behind the hammer going forward?????
thanks
gary
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
how would a trigger job make the hammer hit the primer too soft?  I know he does great trigger work and speeds up the hammer,
might have been a bad round did it dimple the primer at all? Kinda weird, might be worth asking Bill email him through his website.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#2]
He has a basic job that he recommends for SHTF rifles where he modifies the friction points and the stock springs. Then there is another job where he will switch to liter springs to get an even liter pull, and modifies the hammer to try and speed it up to get the momentum needed for harder primers.  Heavier springs should help, certainly worth a try.

I got the basic job from him and its really good.  Not super lite, but no take up at all, just a clean crisp break.  I'm not sure which I want to get for my other rifle, but I'm thinking about getting another basic mod job after reading this thread.  Springfield says the speed hammer ensures positive ignition on harder primers when using lighter springs, but I've seen others say a speed trigger can cause lite strikes without even mentioning liter springs.

ETA : http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15s.html

Option 1 :
4lbs pull, very short, smooth, clean break. $35

Option 2 :
For 3lbs pull price is $50 (new match spring set installed; hammer tail removed ("speed hammer") included in the price for more positive ignition for hard military type primers.

I recommend the 4lbs pull for duty and field rifles, 3lbs works perfectly for long range and target style shooting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both the 3lb and 4lb triggers from Bill Springfield.  I noticed that the 3lb trigger was too light to ignite military primers, but worked OK with Winchester SR primers.  I switched to the 4lb trigger and have not had any light strikes so far.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:12:24 AM EDT
[#4]
The 3# trigger with lighter springs will likely strike the primer with less force than the 4# using standard springs. Another factor to consider might be the cold. Oils will thicken in the cold and might contribute to light hits if the firing pin was lubed with conventional oil.

For hunting in the winter, I usually remove the oil from inside the bolt and wipe my firing pin down with very light oil to prevent this exact problem. I've seen oil practically turn the consistency of grease while hunting in northern Minnesota.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the 4lb trigger job with the speed hammer option from Bill and it has worked flawlessly. The 3lb could be too light to fire off the harder military primers.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top