Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 4:26:41 PM EDT
First off, I'd do a search on this topic if I could. I'm having some trouble getting my Bronze membership activated...

Secondly, I pretty sure everyone is going to tell me to get an ARMS #40, but I'm looking to save a buck.

Now to the question. Does anyone have any experince with the ASA Flip Up rear sight that Brownell's offers? I'll just be using it for a back up for my Eo-tech on my 16" Bushmaster. It'll be for 3-gun and any defensive situation that might arise.

Thanks,

Howard
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'll just be using it .. defensive situation that might arise.
View Quote

Its your life on the line - don't you deserve the best?

If you have 1*, why risk it on a cheap pot metal copy?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Forest.

I guess that was what I was kind of getting at. Is the ASA just a copy? Or is it the same sight as the GG&G with a different name on it?

I take if from your comment that it is a copy?

Howard
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
hi howard,
its funny, ive been looking into the asa flip up sight and in fact i called asa this morning....their sight is not a gg&g with an asa label, they told me that it is manufactured in house by asa (even though gg&g in tucson is a stone's throw away from phoenix).  also, the brownells description is inaccurate...the asa sight is not all steel, its aluminum like the gg&g, with steel peep disc and attaching hardware.  also, the asa does not have the gg&g locking mechanism....its a ball bearing detent lock up.....btw, asa is having a sale on  it for 79.95 (like brownells reg price)....hth

imho, i like this style of buis, its low profile where the arms has some clearance issues with acogs (save for the 40-L).  i just wonder about the positive lockup of the thing....gg&g has that over the asa version.  im opting for a gg&g...
mc
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
There has never been a good way to (lock up) a folder. If you want a sight up all the time that doesn't break it can only be rugged enough if it is a cut off or newly made A2 type. If a folder is locked up, it will break faster than you can say oh shit. Simply because there can't be enough material there and be a folder that sustains much of a hit. Been experimented with several times by many.
That's why the #40's are so popular, there rugged, but if hit they give like a tree in the wind when hit, but go right back into position instead of breaking.
Food for thought.
Good shootin, Jack
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top