Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2011 7:16:08 PM EDT
I just read a brief article on a new loading by Doubletap for a defensive loading of an 80gr 5.56mm ... I haven't found any more info on it so figured I'd ask about it here. Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The only one that I've had, but never shot, was the 10mm equailzer with the two projectiles.  From my understanding Double Tap ammo is loaded hotter than normal. The .45acp with 185gr Nosler JHP has 1225 fps with 616 ft/lbs out of a 1911 with 5" barrel.  "High energy loads built from top quality components.  Individually inspected to ensure quality and uniformity.  This ammo is new production, non-corrrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases."  From Midway sale flyer 3/11.  Been in contact with CEO/Pres Mike Mcnett (good people) about the Equalizer and they are going to start to make them in .357 and .38.   I would like to see a .223 duplex myself.   wolfgang

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:06:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a fan of Doubletap ammo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder how they are loading that as the majority of the 80gr loads out there are longer than mag length.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Duplex load?

All bets are off then.
There is a reason we dont see more of them is use.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I just read a brief article on a new loading by Doubletap for a defensive loading of an 80gr 5.56mm ... I haven't found any more info on it so figured I'd ask about it here. Thanks for any info.

You'd need a 1:7 to stabilize those probably. No idea on performance or what bullet they use. There are lots of great performers out there already though.

Yeah, definitely aware of that. Not a problem for me. I was more curious how they got an 80gr. bullet to fit mag-length!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's all the info I have from the article (it's in the freebie "On Target" magazine.)

"Double Tap 80-Grain .223 Rem. Ammunition

Mike McNett, the main man at Double Tap ammunition, is a real innovator who's goal in life is to wring maximum performance out of every cartridge his company loads. Case in point: Double Tap's new .223 Rem. 80-grain hollowpoint boattail load. The vast majority of ARs out there are rifled in the 1:7" twist rate, and McNett set out to create a defensive load for law enforcement and civilian use that would deliver maximum energy to the target. After months of testing, he determined that 80 grains was the heaviest bullet possible for that twist rate. Double Tap's new 80 gr. defensive load uses Nosler Custom Comp hollowpoint boattail bullets in nickel-plated cases. This bullet has a longer ogive to give it a much higher ballistic coefficient while running at the same speed as the more popular 77 gr. load, providing longer range, a flatter trajectory, and increased terminal velocity with absolutely no down side. MV is 2,825 FPS out of a 22" barrel producing 1,418 ft. lbs of kinetic energy at the muzzle. See it at your firearms retailer or contact..."

edit: it's still not on their website.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#9]

"Double Tap 80-Grain .223 Rem. Ammunition

Mike McNett, the main man at Double Tap ammunition, is a real innovator who's goal in life is to wring maximum performance out of every cartridge his company loads. Case in point: Double Tap's new .223 Rem. 80-grain hollowpoint boattail load. The vast majority of ARs out there are rifled in the 1:7" twist rate, and McNett set out to create a defensive load for law enforcement and civilian use that would deliver maximum energy to the target. After months of testing, he determined that 80 grains was the heaviest bullet possible for that twist rate. Double Tap's new 80 gr. defensive load uses Nosler Custom Comp hollowpoint boattail bullets in nickel-plated cases. This bullet has a longer ogive to give it a much higher ballistic coefficient while running at the same speed as the more popular 77 gr. load, providing longer range, a flatter trajectory, and increased terminal velocity with absolutely no down side. MV is 2,825 FPS out of a 22" barrel producing 1,418 ft. lbs of kinetic energy at the muzzle. See it at your firearms retailer or contact..."

2800+ fps with an 80gr bullet is beyond HOT and into the STUPID catagory. The 80gr Nosler is a clone of the 80gr SMK... so I don't see how this stuff could be loaded that fast, with that bullet. Even with non-canister grade powder.

ETA: I also don't think the 80gr bullet could be loaded to magazine length without pushing the ogive of the bullet into the case mouth.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
wonder how ballistics would compare to the barnes TSX rounds
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#11]
i never saw a 80 grain that could go that fast and be loaded to magazine length.  interesting if true

it would compare the same was a 77 grain HPBT would to  TSX  3 grains isnt that different
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top