Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2009 9:08:24 PM EDT
Well I got back from my trip on Monday.  I was itching to put together all the bits and pieces I had collected and modified.  I got the Molycoat, so I could do the 607 buffer tube.  I also got a very nicely made slip over faux XM177 moderator.  I did get to fly over and visit 45bravo and pick up a 607 moderator.  He gave me some excellent barrel advice on modifying my 16" barrel.  He advised me to turn the barrel down to .495 beyond the existing threads for 3.5".  Then either tread his moderator completely the full length, or core it out to the existing threads.  I did the latter.  Then you can just thread it down without cutting the barrel down and pinning the moderator.

The Faux XM177 moderator is made from Aluminum and very nicely made, fits nicely on the .625 barrel.  Looks very good, no modification required.

Link Posted: 3/10/2009 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice builds!
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, nice!  I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I Likey!!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the kind comments.  Now I must do the sight the beast in thing.  I'll have to dress appropriately retro to do it.  All my old period cotton stuff has shrunk, can't figure it out, crummy 'built to high government standards' problem most likely.

Next project is a forward assist upper (telltale sign of the sickness) with 45bravo's XM177 on it. Like this:

Link Posted: 3/11/2009 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Those builds came out sweet!
I have an aluminum 607 moderator that will slip over a LW barrel without having to turn it down. I made a couple of steel versions for members here. I made an aluminum faux XM177 moderator that does the same, but the flash hider slots are blind because the threaded portion where the end of the barrel goes is where the slots are.
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#7]
One thing for the potential 607 builder.  The Front Sight Base is slightly different.  Two big items, it is smooth on the front and rear of the FSB, the forging flash has been removed on the outside.  They call it machined, but after examining a few (i've got two) it really looks as if they were sanded smooth, not machined.  Also the bayonet lug has been removed, shades of an early assault rifle ban.  First off, I used the FSB that was on the barrel, but it was forged with flash and had a bayo lug.  So out came my trusty Dremel with the reinforced cutting wheel.  I lopped off the lug.  The remaining scar was dressed up with the belt sander, clamped in my vice upside down.  Then I used the sander to clean off the flash from the front and rear.  The rough sanding was smoothed out further with an abrasive soft wheel in the Dremel. Then the entire thing was dumped into the pot and re-parked.  Comes out looking quite close to the original.

Link Posted: 3/11/2009 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One thing for the potential 607 builder.  The Front Sight Base is slightly different.  Two big items, it is smooth on the front and rear of the FSB, the forging flash has been removed on the outside.  They call it machined, but after examining a few (i've got two) it really looks as if they were sanded smooth, not machined.  Also the bayonet lug has been removed, shades of an early assault rifle ban.  First off, I used the FSB that was on the barrel, but it was forged with flash and had a bayo lug.  So out came my trusty Dremel with the reinforced cutting wheel.  I lopped off the lug.  The remaining scar was dressed up with the belt sander, clamped in my vice upside down.  Then I used the sander to clean off the flash from the front and rear.  The rough sanding was smoothed out further with an abrasive soft wheel in the Dremel. Then the entire thing was dumped into the pot and re-parked.  Comes out looking quite close to the original.
http://www.retroblackrifle.com/sitebuilder/images/FSBEarlyForge-113x197.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/greystoke.eng/.Pictures/Picture%20Examples/607%20FSB.jpg

Wow! That came out nice. Now the forging flash on my 607 clone is going to bother me.

Link Posted: 3/11/2009 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks Good
The early ones had no lug because they wouldn't fit, plus it's kind dangerous on such a short weapon.

I ground my lugs off with 90 degree cutoff wheel and cleaned up with the sander, then hit it with cold blue.  The cold blue is great for small jobs.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice!!!  I want to do a retro so bad.  Guess I just missed the partial fence lowers by NDS earlier this month.  Thanks for the pics and the great follow up information as well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Good looking builds!  

Nice how they can easily go back to their original SP1 configuration!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#12]
This a thanks to My65pan "aka" Mark and also Dogpilot for the help in making my 607 a reality

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Just be careful with those aluminium moderators. There is a member here who had an aluminium one and it kept loosening up when he was shooting. Not sure if there was a problem  with the moderator or if it was caused by the dissimilar metals expanding at different rates as they heated up. I'd rather not read here how someone had their moderator come off just as they pulled the trigger.

Doc
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just be careful with those aluminium moderators. There is a member here who had an aluminium one and it kept loosening up when he was shooting. Not sure if there was a problem  with the moderator or if it was caused by the dissimilar metals expanding at different rates as they heated up. I'd rather not read here how someone had their moderator come off just as they pulled the trigger.

Doc

Thanks Doc, a little bit of loctite helps that problem
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Beautiful rifles, guys! I'm happy to see other people doing the 16" 607, like the one I'm working on.
I have Tom's mod and HGs, Mark's stock, RRA's buffer tube, and Nodak's XM lower.
All I need now is a Young's chrome BCG, and a 16" skinny BBL!!
and to make up my mind whether to go 16" slipover, or have the BBL cut and mod permanently attached.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top