AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/15/2018 2:55:08 PM EDT
Specs:
PSA CHF (FN) Premium upper+BCG
PSA Complete Lower
Ammo: Hornady Frontier 5.56 62gr BTHP Match

This upper (was) flawless, 1700 rounds of steel, match, bulk, etc and never an issue, ever.

Background: Was firing at 25 Yards, first experience with this ammo, attempting to re-zero. On about the 10th round, pulled trigger and gun nuked. Mag exploded, gas everywhere (including my face, always remember your safety glasses). Blew out the bottom of the bolt. Rounds scorched and flying everywhere. Mag ballooned like a tumor. I don't think it was a squib, I counted my shots and all landed on the target, however on this shot the round hit almost 1 foot left and keyholed.

Also, after looking, I found scorch marks on the targets swirling with the rifle pattern, pictures included in the album below, never seen that before? Super hot ammo?

After the shock wore off, I attempted to see what happened. I tried to mortar it, couldn't because a piece of the bolt had blown out into the magwell locking it up. Found a punch and a hammer and went to town on the bolt. It looks like the round failed to extract, and blew a hole in the casing on the extractor side, back into the chamber. It cracked the carrier in half. There was no obstruction in the bore upon inspection after removing the bolt and blown case...

Needless to say, upper is completely fucked, barrel is fucked, lower is fucked so I'm out a complete rifle. Luckily was able to salvage the optics, handguards, buffer and spring, and grip.

What do you guys think happened? I feel like if it had been a squib, it wouldn't have blown out through the barrel? I'm thinking maybe a fucked up powder charge from Hornady? I didn't think and Out of Battery Det was possible with AR's but this is new territory for me? I'd like to find out if I can get the rifle replaced.

Anyone had anything like this happen before?

Pictures Here
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn’t someone else recently just KB with frontier ammo?
Dammit. What he said
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting.    The swirl patterns on the target are maybe a clue to bad ammo?

I don’t remember ever seeing that.

Have you googled that ammo to see if any one else reported a bad batch?

-ETA, well there ya go.
Maybe you can get them to pay for a new rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Contact Hornady, that Frontier ammo is shaping up to be flat out dangerous.

ETA: SAVE ANY BOXES FROM THE AMMO YOU HAVE
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Too hot

Hornady should be liable and issue you a check for the rifle and the ammo
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I bet there's a lot of blown out primers in the fired brass, too.   Hornady fucked up a whole batch of Frontier ammo and you should be saving the evidence and giving them a call.

I think they're going to be buying a lot of blown up rifles soon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#7]
To me that looks like it fires out of battery
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Word on the street is that this ammo is running hot as in overpressure

Possibly to much powder

Ammo: Hornady Frontier
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
It doesn’t look like that at all.   Please get some sleep.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, apparently that stuff has a rep of kabooming.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Never seen contrails on target before!
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Shit. I don't think I will be buying and Frontier ammo for a long time, if at all. I will be sticking with good old AE Nato 193 and 855.

Glad you're OK. Document everything and contact Hornady, they owe you an explanation and a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Let us know what Hornady says
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been hearing alot of kabooms happening with this Frontier ammo.  Sorry to hear about your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Note to self...FU Frontier ammo!

Glad you're ok.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The swirl patterns are from lead evaporating from the base of the bullet.  Waaay too hot!
View Quote
Depends i have seen this with pistol bullets at close range. It could be powder.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, just peeled back the bottom of your BCG...!!  Hornaday is going to be buying you a new rifle, the other kaboom guy a new rifle, and a bunch of people rifles if they don't issue a recall pretty soon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, that sucks.
I have never had a Kaboom but I do always wear safety glasses just in case. Glad the rifle was the only thing that got killed.
If that was caused by ammo known to be from a bad batch then they owe you a new rifle and something extra for the trauma and inconvenience. Shipping out ammo that blows up guns borders on terrorism.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like too much or over powder charged round.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Do you still have the boxes? They'll have the lot number on them. Could you post it (the lot number) please?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow another one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

-ETA, well there ya go.
View Quote
The swirlies on the target are from the jacket rupturing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad you are safe OP.  I take it that such a kaboom and your are uninjured is a testament to the AR's design and what happens when it blows.

So what is the deal with this Hornady ammo?  Can someone post to the other guy who had a kaboom?  I like Hornady ammo but guess won't be buying Frontier.  Is this supposed to be a high velocity ammo or loaded hot on purpose?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#26]
OP here,  Below is the Lot# info:

https://i.imgur.com/rs8rmIm.jpg

I purchased this on 7/8 from SGAMMO.

Is it unreasonable to expect Hornady to replace my rifle?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Tag for results. Hornady is in trouble.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP here,  Below is the Lot# info:

https://i.imgur.com/rs8rmIm.jpg

I purchased this on 7/8 from SGAMMO.

Is it unreasonable to expect Hornady to replace my rifle?
View Quote
Not an unreasonable expectation, but count on resistance from them.  If they replace the rifle, they are admitting their ammo is at fault, and therefore, would be at fault and responsible for all your subsequent PTSD, and anything else that results from the incident.  Fear of liability is why they will probably blame you, the rifle, the squib load you fired just before their round (I know you didn't do that, but expect similar explanations how it is your fault), or because you ate two eggs for breakfast rather than having toast...it will be your fault somehow, and Hornady will be sorry for the unfortunate incident for which you are responsible.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Depends i have seen this with pistol bullets at close range. It could be powder.
View Quote
At 25 yards, powder seems unlikely.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Glad you are okay!!

From the Frontier Cartridge box
Hornady Manufacturing Co.
PO BOX 1848
Grand Island NE 68802
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm glad you're ok.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:06:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Specs:
PSA CHF (FN) Premium upper+BCG
PSA Complete Lower
Ammo: Hornady Frontier 5.56 62gr BTHP Match

This upper (was) flawless, 1700 rounds of steel, match, bulk, etc and never an issue, ever.

Background: Was firing at 25 Yards, first experience with this ammo, attempting to re-zero. On about the 10th round, pulled trigger and gun nuked. Mag exploded, gas everywhere (including my face, always remember your safety glasses). Blew out the bottom of the bolt. Rounds scorched and flying everywhere. Mag ballooned like a tumor. I don't think it was a squib, I counted my shots and all landed on the target, however on this shot the round hit almost 1 foot left and keyholed.

Also, after looking, I found scorch marks on the targets swirling with the rifle pattern, pictures included in the album below, never seen that before? Super hot ammo?

After the shock wore off, I attempted to see what happened. I tried to mortar it, couldn't because a piece of the bolt had blown out into the magwell locking it up. Found a punch and a hammer and went to town on the bolt. It looks like the round failed to extract, and blew a hole in the casing on the extractor side, back into the chamber. It cracked the carrier in half. There was no obstruction in the bore upon inspection after removing the bolt and blown case...

Needless to say, upper is completely fucked, barrel is fucked, lower is fucked so I'm out a complete rifle. Luckily was able to salvage the optics, handguards, buffer and spring, and grip.

What do you guys think happened? I feel like if it had been a squib, it wouldn't have blown out through the barrel? I'm thinking maybe a fucked up powder charge from Hornady? I didn't think and Out of Battery Det was possible with AR's but this is new territory for me? I'd like to find out if I can get the rifle replaced.

Anyone had anything like this happen before?

Pictures Here
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-ETA, well there ya go.
The swirlies on the target are from the jacket rupturing.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/What_is_this_andamp_quot_Swirlandamp_quot__on_the_bullet__Anyone_ever_see_this_before_/66-697920/
I wouldn't argue with Sinister about what's happening.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#36]
i've read that half filled cases can be worse than compressed ones because it cause the flash over thing. not sure how true it is but i've hand loaded plenty of hot rounds and never seen them blow like this unless a fast powder was used.

i had a similar occurrence with the old radway green 855 that was imported 10-15 yrs ago. blew the base out like that and destroyed the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Kabooms usually ocurr with factory ammo if you have an obstructed bore.

Your rifle was blowing primers prior to the blow up. Unfortunately you didn't stop shooting.

Blown primers are the last stage of excessive pressure prior to grenading a rifle. Pressures are close to 100,000 psi to blow primers clean out. Even 70,000 psi proof loads rarely show ejector marks, let alone blown primers.

DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO USE THAT AMMO. Contact Hornady and get a return authorization number. If they discover their ammo is defective they will replace it and maybe fix your firearm.

Fortunately you still have your eyesight and all of your fingers. Not everyone gets that lucky.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Save pictures of the lot number and fired brass and forward them to Hornady.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Saw another one of these with frontier on Facebook last week.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Saw another one of these with frontier on Facebook last week.
View Quote
Would you be able to  provide a link? I may want to include it in the evidence I send them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This make me think that maybe you had a failure of the bolt to lock up/ the previous round not  to fire, ejected out a live round (case only), leaving the bullet from the last round still in the bore when just the case was ejected out,New round hand cycled in with it bullet and the last round bullets now in front of the round pushed deeper into the bore,  to cause an obstructed bore for the KB to happen.

Now if the rig had a tight 223 chamber, you're shooting hot Nato ammo through it, then the rest of the spent rounds should be showing the tale of major over pressure to start with.  Hence either primers blow out of all the case, or the primers showing signs of major over pressure instead.

In the later with obstructed bore, most of the time you can run your hand down the outside of the barrel at the chamber section to see if it was second bullet in bore obstruction or not to balloon the OD of the barrel, while others, you just need to use a bore scope to spot the bore bulge balloon section right after the chamber was the second bullet was instead.

Once Hornady gets the rig and determines the cause of the problem, then post back with the results.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think it was a squib
This make me think that maybe you had a failure of the bolt to lock up/ the previous round not  to fire, ejected out a live round (case only), leaving the bullet from the last round still in the bore when just the case was ejected out,New round hand cycled in with it bullet and the last round bullets now in front of the round pushed deeper into the bore,  to cause an obstructed bore for the KB to happen.

Now if the rig had a tight 223 chamber, you're shooting hot Nato ammo through it, then the rest of the spent rounds should be showing the tale of major over pressure to start with.  Hence either primers blow out of all the case, or the primers showing signs of major over pressure instead.

In the later with obstructed bore, most of the time you can run your hand down the outside of the barrel at the chamber section to see if it was second bullet in bore obstruction or not to balloon the OD of the barrel, while others, you just need to use a bore scope to spot the bore bulge balloon section right after the chamber was the second bullet was instead.

Once Hornady gets the rig and determines the cause of the problem, then post back with the results.
I'm not sure this is possible? There was no hand-cycling involved. I was about 1/2 way through a 20 round mag. For what you think happened, there would have been manual cycling involved?

Also, It's a 5.56 chamber, not .223.

Regardless, There is no bulge in by barrel, and no obstruction. I've seen pics of barrels with squibs cut in half, and all the rounds are smashed against each other. Mine is completely clear... The bolt was completely locked forward, I tried mortaring it, and then tried hammering the charging handle (which broke). The only thing that unlocked the lugs was me leveraging the front of the carrier with a punch.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:08:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, it doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#46]
The cause of the kaboom was case failure.  This is clearly a locked chamber, bolt closed, and the case failed.  It failed in the direction they always fail - a ballooning around the case head where the case is slightly unsupported, and then rupture at the lease supported point - the extractor.  The gases vent inside the carrier at much higher psi than it was designed for, and it fails.

The root cause of the case failure is what you need to know.  It is either overpressure, or bad brass, or both.

Your barrel is a well used NATO chambered FN barrel.... seriously doubt anything is suspect there.

The ammo is suspect.  This is almost identical results to the other thread on this topic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Your rifle was blowing primers prior to the blow up. Unfortunately you didn't stop shooting.
View Quote
Please show above where the OP said he was blowing primers prior to the blow up?

He didn't.

So you are simply assuming this that all the ammo was equally overpressure or poor brass hardness..... or are you quoting the wrong thread?
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#48]
I was going off the linked pictures, apparently another shooter having the same problem with this ammo.

My mistake.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#49]
I cant view images on Imgur. Anyone care to post them here?
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Have you inspected any of the empty casings from the ammunition you had fired?  If so, were there any signs of over pressure, punctured primers, missing primers, creased or deformed cases, etc, that would give any type of indication as to what is going on?

You state that you have shot 1700rds of mixed ammunition through the rifle, but I do not see any information in regards to maintenance.  Have you cleaned the rifle, if so then could you explain when and how?

Your specs listed above indicate you have a PSA CHF upper, and PSA complete lower, was this something you assembled yourself into a rifle, or did it come direct from PSA as a built rifle?  If the upper receiver assembly was purchased separately, did it come from PSA with the bolt carrier assembly installed, or was the bolt carrier assembly purchased separately?  Have you inspected and gauged anything on the rifle for things like proper headspace, firing pin protrusion, etc?  Have you changed out anything on the rifle like the buffer, action spring (buffer spring), trigger group, hammer spring, etc?
View Quote
No blown primers, however I had only fired ~10 of 40 rounds. Rifle has been cleaned approximately every 500 rounds - so I was about 200 rounds into this without cleaning/lubing. Everything internal was from PSA, stock - bought the upper and lower separately, Premium BCG came with the upper.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top