Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2012 7:54:41 AM EDT
I just finished my first build, everything is working but now I'm just fine tuning it to reduce the recoil. I hear getting a Spike Tactical heavy buffer will eliminate most of the recoil, but which buffer should I get? I also have a SilencerCo Saker on pre-order which I'll be running dedicated whenever pigs luge. Will a suppressor factor in when I run it dedicated in the near future? Here is what Spike's offer: ST-T1 (3.0oz), ST-T2 (4.05oz), and ST-T3 (5.4oz)

Current setup:

Mega Mono Upper/Lower
Mega 4.5lbs single stage
Adam Arms Mid-Length piston
PRI-MSTN muzzle break
WOA 18' SPR mid barrel
Magpul UBR
Danial Defense spring and heavy buffer
*pre-ordered SilencerCo Saker

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/monkeykevin/Firearms/IMG_20120310_190632.jpg
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
My $0.02 on the T2...

I just got one for use as a "universal" buffer in an upcoming SBR with multiple planned uppers (22lr, 9mm, 223, 300 blk).

In my current 16" M4gery (stock H buffer) and my 16" RRA 9mm (RRA heavy 9mm buffer) the ST-T2 ran GREAT, with a noticeable reduction in recoil.

Considering the cost of some of the other "heavy" buffers out there, I'm really thrilled by the ST-T2 in price and quality.

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Any problems with a ST-T2 in a carbine length 14.5 barrel or is it GTG?
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had problems with the T2 in a midlength using .223. but you should be GTG in a carbine.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Off topic but....how do you like that Mega Trigger? I was thinking about one for my Mega Lower build (waiting to receive parts is killing me) Since no one else has said it yet....that is one sick rifle, I love Mega
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is something to consider about the spikes buffers.  If you read the descriptions, the T1 and T2 have some sort of tungsten powder where the T3 uses Tungsten barstock weights.

Now I haven't taken my T3 apart yet, but from what I have read on other makers T1 and T2 buffers (probably called H1 and H2) is they use 3 weights and a H1 has one tungsten weight, H2 has Two, and T3 is listed as having 3 tungsten weights.  

So going with the assumption that a standard milspec buffer will have 3 steel weights and taking the chance the T3 buffer has the same size tungsten weights, I can do the following if I already own a milspec buffer.

Shoot a T3
Open it up and swap a steel weight for a tungsten weight and make effectively a H2
Open it up and swap again to make a H1.

So for my old milspec buffer and a T3 from spikes, I can play with all 3 buffer weights not including the factory buffer.

I bought a T3 and have an option to modify it to any of the heavier buffers to try in my rifle.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top