Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 7/6/2011 7:48:26 AM EDT
yes any suggestions on buying a good quality ar-15 kit( less lower reciever) for a good price? I have bought 4 kits from Blackthorne products and 3 had to go back for stuff that was not working or quality issues and every time i had to eat the return shipping. so i am done with them so i need to find someone that is reliable and good priced please help
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:02:00 AM EDT
Try Palmetto State Armory.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:02:13 AM EDT
Go to Palmetto State Armory. They have a complete build kit - the lower receiver for $479. The difference in quality between PSA and Blackthorne would be like standing Eva Mendes next to Rosie O' Donnell.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:26:33 AM EDT
Must say I was not impressed with their standard safety selector.  Not very crisp and much to be desired.  I can't say anything about their fcg because I just needed the other parts.  The stock kit was great.

ETA: I believe blackthorne is one company to stay away from correct?
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 4:01:32 PM EDT
Look into Legal Transfers on the EE.  Pete is very helpful, give im a call.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 7:43:03 PM EDT
yes i had one kit that the lower parts kit was so out of wack that it slam fired and would rip off a 30 round mag after you pulled the trigger on the first shot. replaced it with a bushmaster kit and it ran fine.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:30:18 PM EDT
Quoted:
yes i had one kit that the lower parts kit was so out of wack that it slam fired and would rip off a 30 round mag after you pulled the trigger on the first shot. replaced it with a bushmaster kit and it ran fine.

A slam fire would have nothing to do with a lpk.  Not, installing the disconnect spring correctly could result in your 30rd mag rip, even then I think you would need an M16 bolt and all that.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 9:14:34 PM EDT
Del-ton is a good one. I have purchased two and have never any issues. Palmetto is good too from what my one of my local FFL guys says.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 3:52:10 AM EDT
I used a combination of Del-ton and Palmetto state for  my last build........both sell quality stuff............
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 4:18:59 AM EDT
the last kit i put together from them Blackthorn after about 5 to 10 rounds it would pull out the fron gas ring and it would jam the gun. looked in the carrier and found no burrs or any thing i could see. not sure what it was but again they would not stand behind there product so now i am done with them!
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 4:54:23 AM EDT
M&A, Model 1, PSA have all been great suppliers for me. Stay away from Blackthorne unless you are mechanically inclined and enjoy repairing repeated failures...
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 6:49:53 AM EDT
PSA and Del-Ton have good quality kits and excellent reputations for that simple reason.  You take your chances with the others.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 7:33:52 AM EDT
Quoted:
Try Palmetto State Armory.

+1000

For kits they rule the roost.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 12:28:43 PM EDT
Quoted:

I have bought several kits from Pete and he will treat you right.

Link Posted: 7/7/2011 2:34:19 PM EDT
Have a 20" HBAR kit from Del-Ton on a Double Star Lower and a 16" mid length on the BBT leaving N. Carolina as we speak. Kinda hard getting used to plastic and aluminum when your a STEEL AND WALNUT man.   but......they look good to me. I have upgraded to the CL HBAR with Green stocks for $541 each delivered.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 4:05:29 PM EDT
Quoted:The difference in quality between PSA and Blackthorne would be like standing Eva Mendes next to Rosie O' Donnell.

Great analogy!
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 4:27:48 PM EDT
The Model 1 rifle kit I put together has been pretty good so far.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 7:23:41 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have bought several kits from Pete and he will treat you right.

Nice guy. Didn't buy a kit, but he's GTG.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 7:39:31 PM EDT
I got a kit from model 1 at a gun show about a year and a half ago. Kit went together fine other than a missing roll pin which they promptly mailed me. Rifle is still shooting straight and goes bang every time. I'd buy from them again with no worries.
Top Top