Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/24/2011 4:22:50 PM EDT
3/24/11: I got a chance to shoot my WOA barreled varmint build today at 500 yards. I ditched the Tasco Varmint scope in favor of a Millett TRS-1 with .1 mil adjustments. I ended up handloading 100 rounds of ammunition for this shooting session. I used Remington brass, 6 1/2 primers, 24 grains of Reloder 15 and 75 grain BTHP Hornady bullets. Needless to say the load works GREAT! I started sighting the gun in at 50 yards with 55 grain Hornady spire points on top of 24.5 grains of H335. After it was sighted I switched over to the 75 grain BTHP's. My first shot was about 3/4" high and without adjusting the scope the next three went in the same hole. I knew the R15 loads were going to be really good! I dialed my zero down slightly and moved the target out to 200. I ended up shooting two five shot groups at 200 that were around 1" to 1 1/4". I am MORE than pleased with 1/2 + MOA out of this rig! I then placed six 9" balloons at 500 yards. I popped the first one on the second shot holding 2.5 mils high and 3/4 of a mil to the left. The wind was coming up and I ended up hitting the next one after two shots holding another 1/4 mill to the left. I then shot the next three in a row one after the other. The last one took three shots. I tied it up higher so it would blow around a little. I'll have to get pics of my groups next time out!

3/30/11: Added pics of my 10" X 12" plate I shot for groups. The gun can shoot way better than me! I am currently shooting off of saw horses, a piece of plywood and the gun rested on my Caldwell rear bag that is placed just in front of the mag well. I'm going to try and build a new bench and score a nice front rest before the next outing.

My rig:

Balloon Targets:

Half way - the balloons are just to the left of the big walnut tree:

From my bench:

3/30/11: 10" X 12" plate five shot group. Around 8" CTC:

Link Posted: 3/24/2011 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#1]
That is one sweet build. I have been looking at that barrel and I think you just helped make up my mind. What upper and BCG are you using?
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
You will be really happy with WOA's work. Specs below.

WOA 26" varmint barrel - .936 contour - matched bolt
WOA 2.25 X 14" handguard
Young Manufacturing chrome NM carrier
DPMS smooth side extruded upper
DPMS CH
DPMS LPK
Reworked RRA 2 stage match trigger - 1 lb. 14 oz. 1st stage / 8 ounce break
Spikes lower
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul PRS stock
GG&G GS-1 riser rail
Warne 30mm high Maxime perm attach rings
Millett TRS-1 illum 30mm scope - .1 mil adjustments
Butler Creek caps
Weight: 15 pounds with an empty magazine
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you rework the trigger yourself or did you have someone do it? That is the trigger I am going to be using as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I do all my own work. I polished all the mating surfaces, modified the trigger spring and resprung the disconnector/second stage let off spring.

Brad
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice.

I ditched my LaRue mount and did exactly what you did. The GG&G riser/rail (super strong) and the Warne rings, the scope is all but welded on the rifle.
No movement at all, rock solid. Mine is on my Bushmaster Varminter with a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 scope.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice.

I ditched my LaRue mount and did exactly what you did. The GG&G riser/rail (super strong) and the Warne rings, the scope is all but welded on the rifle.
No movement at all, rock solid. Mine is on my Bushmaster Varminter with a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 scope.

Bill

104 or 139? I looked at them but was drawn to the GG&G set up. I shoot NTCH so it works great! Like you said it is VERY strong, damn near welded, and the rings are a great value for what you get. I like the vertical split so the rear ring does not interfere with your sight of the side focus.

Zeiss! Damn nice scopes! I'm stepping my way up to a killer optic! The Millett I just bought is a ton better than my old Tasco 10-40.

Link Posted: 3/24/2011 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#7]
very nice build , been looking at their upper too for bench shooting. nice range you have too
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice Rifle, nice shooting! Inspiring work.....
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Good looking gun and that looks like an awesome place to shoot!
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#10]
The place I'm shooting at is on my Grandparent's farm. The trees were cleared out and a series of terraces put in so the pipe line could come through several years ago. He quit raising cattle last year so there is nothing on there to worry about hitting now. He was joking with me yesterday about going up on the hill to coyote hunt. He said I shouldn't have to walk as far to hit them now. :)  I can actually get right at a 700 yard shot at the far end of his farm. I'll give it a try next time I go out.

Brad
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I had the #139. This set up is, IMO, much much better.
It's the sum of all the variables that screw you in the end.
I decided to reduce as many variables as I could and a removable mount on a precision rig didn't make sense to me.
I now have targets to prove it.

The scope is all but welded to the rifle.

Great set up. I love your upper.

Bill

Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice.

Bill

104 or 139? I looked at them but was drawn to the GG&G set up. I shoot NTCH so it works great! Like you said it is VERY strong, damn near welded, and the rings are a great value for what you get. I like the vertical split so the rear ring does not interfere with your sight of the side focus.

Zeiss! Damn nice scopes! I'm stepping my way up to a killer optic! The Millett I just bought is a ton better than my old Tasco 10-40.

Link Posted: 3/25/2011 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I just put my WOA Match barrel upper together this week. Tried 6 different factory loads and could tell the barrel/ammo combo will shoot way better than I can (even using wally world ammo).

Need to get ALOT more practice (and better glass) in, and get my press set up for .223.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Shot at my 10X12 plate and added pics at the top.

Brad
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Where at in Iowa are you from? I'm originally from there and that terrain is similar to my neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#15]
In the Tracy area just east of the Des Moines river.

Brad
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I waaay down in the SW corner. 10 min from MO and about 20 from NE.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top