Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2010 4:58:53 PM EDT
I'm  midway through my first build, but I am already considering some specialized alterations I would like to see on the next.

I have built some G3's and cetmes and something I always made sure to use was a stainless steel receiver. They add weight to the weapon. But, in my opinion this added weight is negligible and a worth-while trade-off to avoid getting major and deep scratches from conditions I believe a gun should be able to handle.

However, I have yet to see a single stainless steel reciever for ar's. Why is that? If they do exist, does anyone know anybody offering them?
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Ridiculously heavy, ridiculously expensive, and completely unnecessary.

I think Olympic Arms made a few back in the 80's, so in theory you might be able to find one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
However, I have yet to see a single stainless steel reciever for ar's. Why is that? If they do exist, does anyone know anybody offering them?

Here you go it looks alot different now.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go it looks alot different now.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/1639/dsc01640j.jpg

Sweet. I used to sport mine bare for a while before I painted them too. Some I never did paint.
Anyway, if it is not protected information, please share your source for that fine looking item.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think Olympic Arms made a few back in the 80's, so in theory you might be able to find one.

Don't know about Oly.  
DPMS did sell them.  Problems with QC, ended the sales.
I'd buy a Steel, SS,  cast, forged or billet lower in a heart beat.  If it were dimensionally correct.
Don't care about the weight.  Don't have a bunch of gadgets (light, lasers.....) hanging off of it
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought it years ago as a complete gun . It was made by DPMS with a 16" barrel. Now it wears a 24" bull barrel making it a nice bench gun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought it years ago as a complete gun . It was made by DPMS with a 16" barrel. Now it wears a 24" bull barrel making it a nice bench gun.

You got one of the few.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Oly Arms made them as SGW and some as Palmetto IRRC.

The ones I've seen don't look all that great finish-wise.

The markings are raised as opposed to engraved on those.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 1:55:58 AM EDT
[#8]
EA & CO made a small run of steel lowers though not stainless when they first started back making lowers a few years ago.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 2:37:47 AM EDT
[#9]
The DPMS were cast IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oly Arms made them as SGW and some as Palmetto IRRC.

The ones I've seen don't look all that great finish-wise.

The markings are raised as opposed to engraved on those.

cast..........
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A while back I saw a pre "Oly" stopsign lower & upper on gunbroker <??> that was bronze.  Looked sweet but IIRC it went for $$$$$.  With wood furniture it'd look like a modern day Henry or 1866 Winchester rifle.

Link Posted: 3/2/2010 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I was looking thru some pictures and saw this one. You can  see the finish better.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was looking thru some pictures and saw this one. You can  see the finish better.
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6566/dsc03002h.jpg

Yeah, I dig the finish on the stainless receivers. Guys on what used to be cetmerifles.com, I don't remember what it's called now, used to give me crap over not painting my recievers. But so what. I like it, and being well oiled and handled stainless, it wasn't gonna rust anytime soon.

But, in all honesty, I am not a huge fan of the fire selector guards on that reciever. Don't get me wrong; I'd still buy a spec one of those before I'd buy anything else. I would just like to see something a little more conventional.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 3:25:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I like stuff thats different and this one is . Evey time I'm at the range someone asks about it. Most guys think its a 80% finish lower or something then they notice its stainless.
I keep thinking about a silver finished upper to match but other projects keep coming up.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top