Link Posted: 4/7/2005 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I am looking forward to getting one of these.  When I get the funds, dammit
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Dang it, where's mine
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#3]
A buddy of mine just brought one in this morning that he has on loan for T&E. Let me tell you, you have to see this thing to believe it. Worth the asking price? I don't know but it is F'in UNBELIEVABLE!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Hello,

I got my gladius today, must say all the reviews are dead on. Great engineering and quality, the strobe feature is a killer, WOW!!
I can't imagine a better light, my way of thinking makes every other tactical light obsolete, and no I don't have any axe to grind,just a honest observation.
Congratulation to Ken and his group for a job well done. hx,Fast996
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#6]
It seems I have another "toy" in my wish list...  now have to save money...  
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Fast996

I can speak for the whole team, we elated you like what you got....

Mike Noel of BlackHawk Products Group has been unbelievebly supportive and has provided the resources to make our first entry into this lighting market possible.  

We hope we can keep going (we have other cool projects in process) and make a positive difference to those that go in harms way.

Best to everybody.
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Grant, LMK if you have any left over any in Tan/Coyote.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Cap'n

I only got 6 in and they all went to back orders. I don't even get to keep one for myself.

C4

That's cool, but I want the hookup when you fill all of those backorders

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Mike Noel of BlackHawk Products Group has been unbelievebly supportive and has provided the resources to make our first entry into this lighting market possible.  

Will the Gladius be made in Vietnam?
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Nope.

Currently manufactured in the U.S.  

You can stick you head back above the wall....

Link Posted: 4/9/2005 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Cap'n

I only got 6 in and they all went to back orders. I don't even get to keep one for myself.

C4

That's cool, but I want the hookup when you fill all of those backorders

-Cap'n

Roger. You had better send me an e-mail so I can put you on my back order list!

C4

Doh! I knew I was forgetting to do something, hehe
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Nope.

That's cool Ken. I own some BlackHawk gear. I actually like their Discreet cases the best as they are a little smaller and more modular than the Eagle (which I also own). I am looking forward to the reviews of the Gladius, especially on candlepowerforums.com. Those guys will definately put it through the ringer, albeit in a very technically oriented way. The Gladius would be a nice match with the new Larue 1" mount, as well as a handheld. I'm currently running a M962C and L6, so the bezel interchangeability is kind of nice, but that OD Gladius is definately calling. Or maybe it's the tan one...
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you have performance statistics on it by any chance? Max lumen output, etc? Runtime w/ fresh batteries at max. brightness?
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#18]
The strobe feature seems to serve almost like a weapon (in addition to as a tool) in that it could really disorientate or even mildly incapcitate a suspect, rendering him more vulnerable and you less vulnerable.  Wow, I never realized the potential for such a feature.  Daddy likey a lot!

When I'm ready to upgrade, I'll be giving you a call Grant!

Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nope.

That's cool Ken. I own some BlackHawk gear. I actually like their Discreet cases the best as they are a little smaller and more modular than the Eagle (which I also own). I am looking forward to the reviews of the Gladius, especially on candlepowerforums.com. Those guys will definately put it through the ringer, albeit in a very technically oriented way. The Gladius would be a nice match with the new Larue 1" mount, as well as a handheld. I'm currently running a M962C and L6, so the bezel interchangeability is kind of nice, but that OD Gladius is definately calling. Or maybe it's the tan one...

Do it the arfcom way, get both
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:49:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh that's just the effect of too much
Link Posted: 4/12/2005 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#22]
My new black gladius just replaced my other flashlights as my favorite.
Link Posted: 4/12/2005 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/12/2005 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/12/2005 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Another review from the U.K.

www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8970

Follow the link that is found on the 1st post....Go to torches, then down to the Gladius....This guy went the extra mile on the review.

Hey size15s...Where are ya buddy????
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Indeed, except everytime he said "torch", the image of a stick topped with some flammable material socked in gas burning brightly in a cave came to mind
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, I've played with mine for a few days so let me post a few impressions from the user's perspective.  For the record I do not work for any light companies, I have however, taken the low light courses pioneered by Ken et al so I understand and appreciate the application of the strobe in searches.

Unnamed competitor, be afraid, be very afraid.

The ceramic coating on the Gladius gives it a tactile texture, it feels like one of those old fashioned "soft-touch" pens but does not have the plastic "give."  Overall it looks smooth but there's sufficient traction the light is not slippery when wet.

The UCL lens, together with the non-dimpled reflector, looks like crystal.  Set next to other lights, the lens of the Gladius looks miles better.

The LED is bright enough to be disorienting during the day, outside.

User switching is pretty intuitive except for the lockout function and programmable functions.  Maybe I'm getting old but I had to read the manual to figure out how to use these functions.  But once you learn it, it's simple!

The light comes in a nifty little case that's lined with foam with a velvet-like finish.  Think black jewery box -- nice!

For my light specifically, I saw two blemishes on the exterior finish.  Probably about 1/8" in length.  The threading on the body of the light looks like it might be a bit off (it can be hard to screw the tailcap on after putting in the batteries).  But this does not affect the operation of the light.

I am not a big fan of BH, but I will be putting in another order with Night-Ops for 2-3 more units.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Man,

I bought a 6R Surefire back in 1994/95 and I paid like almost $100 for it back then. It had the recharge stuff for it as well. I know one of the plastic Surefire 6P clones go for like $50 or so.

Is that fancy case really worth $150-200?

Not knocking the product, I know that R&D costs need to come from somewhere, but HOLY CRAP - $250 for a flashlight! I bet when Surefire makes a competitor it will go for like $500.

Cool concept, but sorry I gotta pass on this one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#31]
C4,

Thanks for the detail.

I am an electronics technician by trade and training. I know about LED technology, strobing circuits, programmable switches and the whole concept of lighting and parabolic reflectors/magnafying optics.

I'd be real surprised if there were $15 worth of electronic parts stuffed into that flashlight. More like $10, if that.

The $250 price tag is simply a new, shiney, strobing widget in a hard plastic case. I hope the case is at least lockable.

The strobe effect is kinda cool and I pride myself on getting most of the latest and coolest widgets offered on the market. I had a 6P way before most cops knew what they were. I had original SF tac light fore ends for my Benelli and 870 back in 1992. Hell, I bought one of the first 500 USP 45's offered in the USA in 1995. Now that I think about it, I think I got my 6R in early 1991.

I can't justify the $250 for an LED flashlight. Maybe down the road and I have lots more disposable cash, but not right now. Strobe effect or no strobe effect, I gotta pass on it. It's probably worth it to many people, just not me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 5:44:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#33]
I have some friends who are cops in what is possibly the most dangerous law enforcement environment in the world barring those countries that are at war. They can tell you what a really good, small handheld light is worth when you need it...$250 is a bargain if it prevents you from being killed!

I will most likely be buying two of these within the next month or so provided that no serious problems arise with this first batch.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Wanted to add:

From my perspective, I agree $200+ is a good deal of $$, even for the innovation and R&D involved.  I will say I would not have purchased this light if it was not made in the USA.  This is the same reason I go with Eagle or other USA products for gear and one of the reasons I don't like BHI.

Thanks for the tip Grant.

rtech,

You won't get arguments from me.  I'm merely reporting impressions.  I've spent a shitload of $$ on $urefire over the years only to be completely pissed off by their "focus on the military" attitude.  Well, now there's an alternative.  After "proofing" the gear, I will be recommending the Gladius to my students who go into harms way or take their equipment seriously.

Not a flame, but as to component costs, that's like me saying your electronics technician's training certification is nothing more than a 4 cent piece of paper plus some fractions of pennies for the ink.  It is a finished product by a company that has to pay its employees, return on investment, years of development, etc etc.  AND it's America.  Free enterprise.  We can choose not to buy :D

Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Got mine today.  What can I say except, WOW!  This exceeds my expectations.

No point in me posting a review, except to say that the light performs even better than I thought it would.  The strobe is awesome, I like the feel of the tailcap switch better than my 6P/6Zs, and the user-programmable channel 3 is great.  I love the low-battery alert feature, because I always miss the less-obvious signals when other flashlights are getting low on juice.

I've got to find money to buy a 2nd one for my AR.

Grant--thanks for the easy transaction and thanks for the no-hassle return of the sling (I ordered the wrong one).
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
So to be honest, this light could be priced at $300 and would still be a good deal IMHO. Oh and you get a hard case as well (which no one else offers).

Try one out for yourself and you will see what the big deal is.
C4

I have one in my wish list.   Just no money right now.    It is a bit pricey but it is what it is.   The manufacturer charges what he thinks the market will pay for it.    We are free to buy or not.    Considering the price of other flashlights in the market I think this is a good deal.

Now on the hard case.   If it does not come with a nice transport pouch I would trade the case at any time for a nice belt pouch.    The case is useless and the pouch can add more value maybe for the same or less money.   Just MHO.  

By the way Grant.  That SOG is really nice.   Congrats for the excellent customer service!

Cheers!

Link Posted: 4/15/2005 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/18/2005 2:15:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Who's making a stiff nylon holster appropriate for use on a 2.25" duty belt?  The Gladius isn't compatible with my old stuff for a 6P, and I'd like something similar to Bianchi Accu-Mold (i.e. retains its shape).

Only thing I can find appears to be a loose model from Blackhawk.  

ETA, this from Night-Ops.com

What carrying methods are available for the Gladius Flashlight?  
Right now BlackHawk has several Nylon Pouches that are designed for the Gladius Flashlight. The bezel diameter is such that if you own a SureFire V70 duty flashlight holder, the Gladius Flashlight will snap right in bezel down. Night-Ops is developing its own proprietary holder.

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top