Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/14/2011 5:20:10 AM EDT
What is the sense in having a railed gas block option if it is not on the "same plane" as the upper? I was wanting to use a set on MBUS on an upper, what can be done to use the rail and the MBUS or am I SOL?
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Some Gas block are same plane, but most are not.  Many people make gas block height front sights.

As for the MBUS, they advise you to not put them on a gasblock as they can melt.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:04:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The MBUS is same plane...you need the sight to be for GAS BLOCK height.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#3]
O am with you..the non rail height gas blocks are just useless. They do sell some small 1/2'..tall ....short rails you can add to the gas block that will get it to close to the receiver height.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#4]
YHM sells a riser specifically for your use.  It raises the sight so it will be on the same plane as the upper and it works extremely well and is rock solid.
Gas block riser
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Magpul warns against using the MBUS on gas blocks due to heat issues.  

This will work with a railed gas block.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
They are a little pricey but we had the same problem having a low profile gasblock and went with the Troy front flip sight..Did some trading for it on the EE so it was alot better than a new one price wise and was just as good as new but make sure you get the one for the low block not same plane....YHM also makes some low gasblock ones...I really never understood the Why? of it either...Maybe someone can tell us the reason...Thanks
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I use an a2 flip up post sight on the gas block rail with a MBUS rear sight. works great.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
O am with you..the non rail height gas blocks are just useless. They do sell some small 1/2'..tall ....short rails you can add to the gas block that will get it to close to the receiver height.

You are wrong.  Please take the steps to make the correction.
The picatinny gas block and the front sights that attach to them
have been a standard for well over 17 years.  Rail mounted flips
came later.  

Here's a thread that may correct another opinion that you might have,
but covers your basic mis-statement:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/552994_Better_to_mount_a_front_site_on_a_gas_block_or_a_rail_.html

Not sure what kwrangln was trying to prove except that there are ways to make a rail mounted front flip not track with the barrel.

Best to you.

BTW,  if I had Larue or some of the Superior Weapon Systems designs I would be all over Troy rail mounted front flips.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is the sense in having a railed gas block option if it is not on the "same plane" as the upper? I was wanting to use a set on MBUS on an upper, what can be done to use the rail and the MBUS or am I SOL?

Plastic sights (MBUS's) are not to be mounted on the railed gas block. But there are 2 gas block heights, so naturally, some front sights are offered in both height configurations. Just make sure you order the right one.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

came later.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/552994_Better_to_mount_a_front_site_on_a_gas_block_or_a_rail_.html

Not sure what kwrangln was trying to prove except that there are ways to make a rail mounted front flip not track with the barrel.

Best to you.

BTW,  if I had Larue or some of the Superior Weapon Systems designs I would be all over Troy rail mounted front flips.

What am suppose to change? So where are all the options for ordering gas block sights? Why would they not make them the same height as the receiver rail?.....then there would be many more sight options.
I stand by my statement.....well maybe they are not useless just not as many options for them...is that ok?

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

came later.  

Best to you.

What am suppose to change? So where are all the options for ordering gas block sights? Why would they not make them the same height as the receiver rail?.....then there would be many more sight options.
I stand by my statement.....well maybe they are not useless just not as many options for them...is that ok?

Well, if you have a railed gas block, the front MBUS are out as an option. So based on your first post, it sounds like you got a standard height railed gas block.

You would need a front sight for a gas block height gas block; and NOT the handguard/forearm rail height sight.

These will work:
-TROY M4 Folding Gas Block Mounted Battle Sight # SSIG-GBF-0MBT-00
-TROY HK Folding Gas Block Mounted Battle Sight # SSIG-GBF-00BT-00
-Midwest Industries Flip Up Front Sight Gas Block Model # MCTAR-FFG
-Midwest Industries Low Profile Flip Up Front Sight, gas block mounted, locking, # MI-LFFG

Or replace that gas block that you hate so much
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So where are all the options for ordering gas block sights? Why would they not make them the same height as the receiver rail?

You are aware that not all upper receivers have M1913 rails, right?

Anyway, Troy, Midwest Industries, Yankee Hill Machine, GG&G, Diamondhead, Brownells, Tru Glo, Pro Mag, DPMS, and Samson (to name a few) all offer gas-block mounted front sights.

Magpul intentionally does not produce a gas-block height sight because of concerns with the polymer melting and they do not recommend mounting an MBUS to a gas block using a riser.  

Please open a catalog next time.  Brownells and Midway will send them to you for free.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

came later.  

Best to you.

Well, if you have a railed gas block, the front MBUS are out as an option. So based on your first post, it sounds like you got a standard height railed gas block.

You would need a front sight for a gas block height gas block; and NOT the handguard/forearm rail height sight.

These will work:
-TROY M4 Folding Gas Block Mounted Battle Sight # SSIG-GBF-0MBT-00
-TROY HK Folding Gas Block Mounted Battle Sight # SSIG-GBF-00BT-00
-Midwest Industries Flip Up Front Sight Gas Block Model # MCTAR-FFG
-Midwest Industries Low Profile Flip Up Front Sight, gas block mounted, locking, # MI-LFFG

Or replace that gas block that you hate so much
I did....with a scope...railed gas blocks are lame.. Either ship them with a A2 front sight or a low profile gas block....is that so hard to understand.

Please open a catalog next time. Brownells and Midway will send them to you for free.

Thanks for that

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top