Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2010 12:39:29 PM EDT
Ok, now I'm not stupid, I know the Aimpoint or Eotech is a much better sight but that's not what I want to compare.  Right now I have a Vortex Strikefire, and I was thinking about getting rid of it for an Aimpoint or Eotech.  But lately I've been wondering whether or not its really a good use of my money.  I'm not a soldier, contractor, LEO, or anything like that and my AR is not really a HD gun.  Honestly, for me its more of a toy/hunting gun.  I use my AR for predator/coyote hunting and I use it for fun at the range and things like that, so I'm just not sure if it would be wise for me to spend money on an expensive sight.  The Strikefire has worked so far, but I haven't used it that much yet.  What say the hive?  Is it worth it for me to fork out the extra cash for an Aimpoint or Eotech or will the Strikefire do the job well enough?  I really like quality and most of the parts on my gun are very high-quality, but is there really much noticeable difference between an expensive sight like an Aimpoint and a cheaper one like the Strikefire?

Thanks,
 Matt
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]
For your intended uses I'd stick with the vortex, especially if it has been working for you.  I have a strikefire on one of my M4's and have put around 300rds through it and I'm very happy with the vortex. I know the battery life will be alot better with the amipoint and eotech, and those two have better moisture resistance(the strikefire is water resistant, but I don't think it will take being submerged), but for a range gun I see these as a non issue. But, if you don't think you'll be happy unless you have an aimpoint or eotech, than that's what you should buy.  If you decide to sell the strikefire PM me, I might be interested in buying it if the price is right and if it includes all the extras. I paid $110 for my strikefire from someone who decided it wasn't what they wanted and it was the best $110 I spent.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I would hate to have a 400 mile cross state coyote hunting trip ruined on account of skimping on an optic.
When you factor in gas, replacement cost, and just the fun you miss out on I can just wait and save up the money and buy better.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#3]
For crying out loud keep the Strikefire!  Listen to what you're saying.

Unless you're routinely backflipping out of humvees, exiting a submarine, several thousand miles away from a Radioshack, or using your AR15 as an anvil - the Strikefire will likely CONTINUE to serve you well.

I'm an Aimpoint fan, for obvious reasons....but I'm looking to soon purchase a Strikefire for one of my hunting guns.  It's one helluva optic for it's price range.  Keep it, use it, abuse it, and actually justify the replacement.  My 2 cents anyway.

Happy shooting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
just received my vortex strikefire a few days ago all in excellent condition and in good working order , for the cost (at this point in time ) im very happy with the purchase , i got it from B&H PHOTO for $130.00 with $25 giftcard (ordered day after christmas) plan on a magnifier down the road,does anyone know if vortex is to release a stand alone/behind magnifier anytime soon ?
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the update Vortex Sam !
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one on my Beretta CX4 storm, and it is a great sight for the money. I ended up going to a RMR because I wanted something much smaller for the little carbine, but non the less the StrikeFire is a fine red/green dot. I say save the money and buy more ammo!

Happy Shooting!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top