Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2009 8:37:26 AM EDT
I've got an AR with a permanent carry handle receiver and I'm looking to put an optic on it.  Most likely it will never be used for anything other then burning bullets at paper from 50-200 yards.  I've done some searching but I'm not finding much, so what are the most common carry handle optic setups.  

How are the carry handle guys getting a good consistent cheek weld?

The "new" Burris AR332 is something that caught my eye and appears to be close to the budget I had in mind, but obviously it has yet to become available.

So what are you guys using?.....Any pictures of your setup?.....and how do you like it?

Link Posted: 7/14/2009 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The ARMS A2 plus mount is an option that allows for a very simular cheek weld to using your irons.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an ARMS 30mm carry handle ring for an Aimpoint.  I dialed the dot in for 200 yards and my irons at 300.  Its very easy to pick up the iron sights under the mount.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The Burris should mount much the same way as my ACOG on an A2.
I like this setup.

Link Posted: 7/14/2009 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Burris should mount much the same way as my ACOG on an A2.
I like this setup.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/amynruss/Rails003.jpg

Nice rig!

Do you find it difficult to get a good consistent cheek weld that naturally lines up with your optic with it mounted as high as it is?
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 5:03:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the ARMS 39A2.  Very solid attachment to the handle and works with just about any red dot out there.
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like the ARMS 39A2.  Very solid attachment to the handle and works with just about any red dot out there.

Sorry that is what I am using too. It is marked "ARMS A2 plus".

Link Posted: 7/15/2009 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#7]
BTT.  I am very interested in this topic also.  My favorite AR is an AR-15 A-2 Government Carbine with the fix carry handle and the "pencil barrel"...ahem...."standard profile barrel" (just for you Harv24!).  Right now I have a Leupold Prismatic mounted on the carry handle, but after shooting prone for a prolonged period of time, my neck would get sore (from stretching it up there).  I really have no problem with the "chin weld" but the sore neck really bothers me.

Link Posted: 7/15/2009 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I used a Cherokee cheek riser on my rifle when it had an A2 stock.  This made it nearly impossible to use the irons if I needed/wanted to.  The last optic I used was a Millett DMS-1 and a Magpul PRS stock.  It's nice being able to adjust the stock for the perfect cheek weld, and also being able to crank it back down for iron sight use.  The DMS-1 was just sold for a Burris Timberline 2-7x26 with the ballsitic plex reticle.  The DMS was an ok optic.  It was ok for close shooting, but was no red-dot (there was a lot of eyepiece blocking the view, and there was a bit of fish-eye at low mags), and it was ok for target shooting, but lacked some precision, was a little low in magnification for my tastes,  and had no hold-over lines or target turrets.  The Timberline suits my uses better, and I plan on putting a reflex sight atop it when I can afford it.  Best of all is that it's a full 2" shorter than the DMS and a bit lighter as well, with a better eye relief range.
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
are the Colt carry handle scopes now obsolete?
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For a carry handle I would recommend one of the ACOGS.  Some say they are only for made for a flat tops but they will work on carry handles also.

Mike @ CSGW
www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on AR15.com
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on Snipersparadise
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on the HIDE

Their first ACOG was a TA01 that was meant to be mounted in the carry handle correct?
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, the ACOG was designed and put into service before the flat top was used.  Use to be all you had was the A2........yea, SpecOps had some M4s but the "Army" had long guns.  There was and still is a difference between the real Army and the SpecOps community........just ask one of either side.
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#14]
You can't go wrong with a compact variable optic.  This one wears a nato stanag style mount and ARMS #21 rings (not my rifle...pic belongs to Mannlicher).

It's a very elegant solution.

The old Colt scopes are relics.  They work ok, but there's so much better out there.  The only things good about them (and the copies) are the BDC elevation knob and small size.

ETA:
This was my old set-up

I thought about using a Russian variable POSP weaver mount scope, but the thing would sit way too high (as if it isn't enough already).  It's a shame, 'cause love those scopes.

More examples:

Leupold rail and MK4 scope

Kilov's rifle on Sniper Central with the Burris Timberline
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:The Timberline suits my uses better, and I plan on putting a reflex sight atop it when I can afford it.  Best of all is that it's a full 2" shorter than the DMS and a bit lighter as well, with a better eye relief range.

Thanks for the pics.

I've got Leupolds on all my hunting rifles, but this AR's optic budget is nearly nonexistent.

The Timberline looks interesting and I really like the Burris Ballistic Plex.  Are you currently using it?  How is it mounted or how are you going to mount it?  Do you know what mount is in the picture you posted?
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks for the pics.

I've got Leupolds on all my hunting rifles, but this AR's optic budget is nearly nonexistent.

The Timberline looks interesting and I really like the Burris Ballistic Plex.  Are you currently using it?  How is it mounted or how are you going to mount it?  Do you know what mount is in the picture you posted?

I have one Leupy VX-II on my 10/22.  A VX-I 1-4x20 shotgun scope was also considered (for use with Stoney Point target knobs), but something more versatile with more magnification that could be used for 100-500 yards without making a lot of elevation adjustment was desired.

The Timberline is not yet in my possession.  My budget is so tight that the sale of the Millett just covered the purchase.  It's going on the same Ultralux NATO stanag type mount that's been on there for the past 12 years with medium rings (the wide three-screw tactical rings can't be used due to the short front tube).  This is the same style mount the pictured rifle is using.  They are available with Weaver or Picatinny rails.  Any of these carry handle style bases from reputable manufacturers are good...there's a lot of no-name airsoft stuff out there that is questionable.

This is a better view of the Burris scope, when it was marketed as the Short Mag.  Some small details are different but dimensionally it's the same.

Some people have had issues with these carry handle mounts being inconsistent; not holding zero or coming loose.  I use the end of a punch or hex key to put some extra torque on the screw and have had no such issues.

ACOG's are a cool concept...one that my severely lazy left eye doesn't agree with.  The Bindon Aiming Concept is completely lost on me when the left eye refuses to see s**t.
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#17]
My carry handle mount from ARMS (ARMS-M16 A1A2) has been behaving very well, but I am very interested in the cantilever mount that ARMS offered - the idea of having two locking nuts instead of one appears to be a very sound concept to me.

I was also thinking about getting that ARMS cantilever mount and then get me a Pride Fowler MRD using LaRue's QD mount (the high profile), but I am hesitant to do so because I am not sure if that set up would offer me a co witnessing ability.

Rick_A:  LOL on your comment about your "lazy eye".
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#18]
So I've been to Pride Fowler's website and I am seriously considering about getting the optic with the carry handle mount that comes with the protective wings.  It looks as if that set up would mount low enough so not to strain my neck during a prolong shooting in a prone position.

For those of you who mount your optics on your carry handle, do you have the same "strained neck" problems as I do after shooting for a long time from the prone?
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Holly crapola.  I had never seen that Burris before.  That might be the ticket for a lot of things (a decent fixed scope without ACOG price)

Does anyone now if the reticule is etched like on the Leupold CQB?  If it will work without a battery, it would be hard to beat.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Got the Burris in the mail yesterday.  It's surprisingly light and pretty compact.  I think it'll work nicely.  The reticle is the wire type.  CQB may be a no-go as the thin reticle nearly disappears at across the room ranges in poor light.  For everything else I think it's ideal.  It has ample eye relief (4-5"), so those that like to crawl the stock, use a short stock,  or shoot nose to the charging handle will definitely need an extended mount.  Under the caps are finger adjustable knobs with solid clicks, which is pretty nice.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top