Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2004 7:02:29 PM EDT
Does anyone know anything about IOR scopes?  I've read a few positive reviews of IOR and wondered what real world experience had to say?  

Since I'm having bum luck with the red dots, these look like they could have potential...  

IOR 4x24 illuminated m2

IOR 6x30 super M2 Illuminated

Waddaya think?  
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#1]
don't know too much, I've been looking myself...but the best price I found is Cactus Tactical...$325 for the M2 iirc.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent optics. Super clear, solid, durable and hold zero. The only drawback with IOR is their scopes are big. You dont get the nice compactness of military optics like ACOG. But if size is not an issue i would have no problem reccomeding IOR to you.  I also reccomend the CQB reticle. It is perfect for a 4X scope. Very quick and versitle. Basically, buy it. You wont be dissapointed
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Cactus tactical?  Impact Guns out in Utah has them, the prices are a little better than IOR's site, but not as good as Cactus.  Is that a company you've dealt with?    

I'm wondering if this is a poormans Leupold CQB?  
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#4]
don't know too much, I've been looking myself...but the best price I found is Cactus Tactical...$325 for the M2 iirc.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Cactus tactical?  Impact Guns out in Utah has them, the prices are a little better than IOR's site, but not as good as Cactus.  Is that a company you've dealt with?    

The 1.1-4X26 CRT is way better than the CQ/T. Bigger eye relief, larger FOV, better reticle that lets you shoot accurately at long ranges and quickly at CQB range and the battery lasts longer. Thats just off the top of my head, i know there are other reasons.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I would not use Cactus Tactical....Email this guy at [email protected] tell him that I referred you and I'm sure he can beat Cactus and Impact guns.  SWFA has them too, but I believe they are just as expensive at Valdada's website....Also a FYI IOR has some new Scopes coming out a 3x that looks like the Leupold CQ/T and another one??? Plus they have a new M1!

Bigant
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 5:27:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the IOR 4x24 illuminated m2 on my Colt and love it. Very high quality. Very clear. I like the fact that I don't need batteries to use the scope - I don't have a lot of use for the illumination for the type of shooting I do.

I can also recommend Cactus Tactical, where I bought this scope. Very fast turnaround - no hassles.

Mine has the Dragunov recticle, which I have found acceptable. We had a long discussion a while back figuring the Dragunov out, but search is down so I can't link to it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The 1.1-4X26 CRT is way better than the CQ/T. ....larger FOV.....

According to the published specficiations, the CQ/T has a larger FOV.

1.1-4X26 CRT - Field of view at 100 yards = 80 feet
CQ/T - FOV @ 100 yds (ft) = 116.6

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 4:51:02 AM EDT
[#9]
   I also have the illuminated M2 withe the CQB retical. So you know, I've found that it has to be pretty dark before you can see the retical illumination, at least that's the way it seems for me.

I mounted it in a 1 piece Armalite mount and it was too far forward for me to get a full view throught the scope. At least without "crawling" up on it. I have a set of IOR High rings on their way that will allow me to mount the scope further back to correct that (thank's Kevin!) .

The glass is nice and I'm looking forward to getting out to the range with this thing ...

Another vote for Cactus Tactical too!

Steve
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Aahhyes68, how do you like that reticle?  Does it obscure much of the target?  
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I also have the illuminated M2 withe the CQB retical for my FAL.
ditto on everyone's comments on the quality and clarity of the optics.
reticle is etched and sharp.
overall very robust.

I don't think I would consider this very well suited for CQB because the illumination cannot be set high enough to use in daylight.
Also, the donut does not light up at all, and that is the ring that you would need to use for "BAC-like" functionality.
Oh, and the eye relief is too short to use as a heads-up optic.

Given all that, I think it is one of the best straight up tactical 4x scopes you can buy short of an ACOG.

I know a lot of people have purchased from cactus Tactical, but I for one do not like the owner's habit of trolling other scope vendors posts posing as a non-vendor and pimping Cactus Tactical.

If you REALL want the best deal, contact Bigant (above) and see what kind of deal he can get you.
He has a LOT of connections in the optics world
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#12]
  Fenian and whomever cares to look ;

The first two pics are of the shack next door, 10-11 yards. Rainy and heavily overcast, Spring in MI ..........................

This is of the house a few doors down, 40-45 yards.

I took this in my basement and the illumination on 7, the brightest. This is the best I could do but it shows which portion of the retical actually is illuminated.

As far as getting a deal.... I'd like to look into a C & R liscence but that's another forum...

Steve

Also, ( PLEASE DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS ! DISCLAIMER...) I read on the board a while back, if my memory serves me correctly , that the outside of the Horseshoe is supposed to represent 10" @ 100yrd. The inside 10" @ 200yrd. The circle w/the 3 under is is 10" @ 300yrd's..... Ahh you get the picture for the other three across the bottom...

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the pics.  Part of me is still lusting after an ACOG, the other part of me is thinking of all the cool stuff I could buy with the money I saved buying an IOR.

Does anyone know what a good price is for an ACOG TA01?  

AaahYes68.  What part of MI are you from?  I'm a recovering Troll.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Does anyone have any news about when IOR will be coming out with their new 3X tactical scope?  I am wnating to get something for my AR but I am going to wait and see if its not too long

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Good Question...I have heard around July.  IMO since IOR is stopping the production of a couple of its scopes, I'm thinking that it will be around sooner than later.  This is Info I got from my contact about the 3x 5.75 Inches Long and about 4 Inch eye Relief.

Bigant
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Aahhyes68 -

Did you ever get those IOR rings you ordered?  I was wondering how well it was working now (the eye relief).  Also, is there still a slot or two left at the rear for a BUIS, or did you have to use the very last slot like this pic from Bushmaster's website?

I'll be using it with a KAC 200 - 600 meter flip rear, so I need that last slot.

Basically, I'm down to the wire on a decision.

I have enough $$$ to buy a Daniel Defense 9.0, an IOR M2, and ARMS rings....  OR I can skip the DD forend and just keep the plastic handguards, then use ALL that money to buy an ACOG.  But then I'm flat broke and it'll be a while before I can make any more big purchases.

The info from this topic has been very helpful in making my decision, as has all the info from Mongo, Zak, Matt, etc. about the Daniel Defense forends.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Are IOR scopes very durable?  I've been considering the 4x24 for my 458 SOCOM project, and I need something that will handle the recoil.  I'd use it for some hunting too.  Javelinas and elk won't stand a chance!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Setup like this the Ior could probably still come back maybe 1/4" or so but isn't bad.  The HIGH IOR rings are the right heighth and still have good cheekweld, the way I like to shoot. I don't like the rubber eyepiece while looking through the scope so I might trim it off with a razorknife. The eyepiece actually starts at the rear of the little ridges in the rubber I have circled.

Hope this helps and remember this is just my opinion and how it fits me, it may be different for others.

Good Luck Brother...

Steve

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Excellent optics. Super clear, solid, durable and hold zero.

Thank you for the pic and the effort Steve - That's one heckuva nice camera you've got there.  Pictures are SUPER clear.

Steve too
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#20]
   I don't know much about AR's and all the goodies for them but........

Brother, I can shoot a mean picture

There are many helpfull people on this site, I'm glad I can contribute once in a while ....

Let us know what you decide on.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Are IOR scopes very durable?  I've been considering the 4x24 for my 458 SOCOM project, and I need something that will handle the recoil.  I'd use it for some hunting too.  Javelinas and elk won't stand a chance!

I would say that IOR's are good and durable....I dont think you should have a problem with it...but remember dont you go and buy a cheap scope the Socom's and Beowulf will eat them like a snack...I'm going to probably go with a Aimpoint or Eotech on my upper or a 2-7x36 Khales...

I like the looks of this:)
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#22]

http://www.alexanderarms.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gilliegun.jpg

If ever there were an example of what "KillFlash" is for
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

As much as I like leupold scopes(got a 1-4 VXII on my AR), this is not a poor mans CQB. In fact those scopes you listed are not even in the same catagory as the CQB. Yer comparing fixed, to variable. If you want a comparison look at the IOR 1.1-4x26 and the Leupold CQB sight.

I've shot the IOR 1.1-4 and the leupold CQB. I'll take the IOR anyday.

As far as the two scopes you listed in the first post, I haven't palyed with either one so I really can't comment about those. I have handeled and shot a couple different IOR scopes though and I've been really impressed with all of them. IOR was my first choice when I had my .308 built. I never even considered a leupold or anything else. Infact the only reason I didn't go wtih the IOR 1.1-4 on my AR was because I didn't have the cash at the time for the IOR. I bearly had enough money for the Leupold and that was only $250ish.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

http://www.alexanderarms.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gilliegun.jpg

If ever there were an example of what "KillFlash" is for

Your right about that!!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would say that IOR's are good and durable....I dont think you should have a problem with it...but remember dont you go and buy a cheap scope the Socom's and Beowulf will eat them like a snack...I'm going to probably go with a Aimpoint or Eotech on my upper or a 2-7x36 Khales...
www.alexanderarms.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gilliegun.jpg

All that ghillie-flage on the shooter and nothing on the rifle? WTF?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I mounted it in a 1 piece Armalite mount and it was too far forward for me to get a full view throught the scope. At least without "crawling" up on it. I have a set of IOR High rings on their way that will allow me to mount the scope further back to correct that (thank's Kevin!) .

It just hit me today while sitting through a boring class on "creating the perfect resume"...  Did you try using the mount backward?  Do you still have the mount?  I think I may try that route since straight rings apparently aren't going to leave me enough room for my KAC BUIS.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Give me a coupla' hours..... ya' might be onto something...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#28]
This worked out to be "better than perfect" for eye relief but still not so good for a BUIS....

[And.. ummm, there isn't enough surface on the scope to even free up 1 rail....]

Hope this helps..... I'm thinking I just might keep this setup and sell the IOR rings..... Not to mention look for some flip-ups to eliminate the rubber pieces from IOR...

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Not to mention look for some flip-ups to eliminate the rubber pieces from IOR...

Am I to assume the eye cup is not as comfortable as it looks? I always figured that thing would be pretty nice to have... although I have never seen an sold separate. I take it that is the reason?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a Russion PSO-1 scope that had a similar rubber eyepiece...in theory, it should have been comfortable, but the damn rubber was just the right diameter to go into my eye socket...putting pressure on the bone right under the lower lid...VERY uncomfortable.  Hopefully the one on the IOR isn't the same size.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#31]

This worked out to be "better than perfect" for eye relief but still not so good for a BUIS....

Glad I could be of some help

I don't know if eye relief would be quite as big'a deal for me, as I have a pre-ban telestock on my rifle therefore the LOP is shorter than your A2 stock.  I might be able to move it a notch or two forward.  The only thing that looks questionable now is the space that would be left under the front ring.  That section fits over my KAC on the RRA mount I have now (also mounted backwards) but the Armalite one is lower.

I'll say it again... you can snap a shot!  Clear, good color...

And another thing I gotta hand it to you for (and anyone else who posts lots of pics can take notes if ya want )...  Your pictures are a good size!  They're big enough, but they're not so big that it takes 15 minutes for my wimpy dial-up to load them!  And you apparently know how to CROP! Half your pic is not some gravel driveway that does nothing to enhance the picture but does everything to slow down my PC to a crawl   I've literally seen some pictures where the AR takes up the lower 25% of the image.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#32]
New model Vs. Old model?

I contacted liberty optics and he asked whether I wanted the new model (red illuminated rear focal plane) or the old model (green illuminated front focal plane.)

Can anyone here explain the difference to me?  Are there advantages of one over the other?

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
New model Vs. Old model?

I contacted liberty optics and he asked whether I wanted the new model (red illuminated rear focal plane) or the old model (green illuminated front focal plane.)

Can anyone here explain the difference to me?  Are there advantages of one over the other?

Which scope are you looking at getting? And with which retical? The fixed scopes it won;'t really matter what plane the retical is on.

First focal plane means that as you change the power setting the size of the retical changes. I have a 4-14x50 IOR on my 308. I prefer the first focal plane retical. When I first started looking at scopes I was told and have read a couple other places that the advantage to that is that at any power you can use the mil marks to range and use the same formula for finding the range because the relationship of the mil-marks stays the same at all power settings. Not everyone likes the first focal plane reticals though. For me it was just one of those growing up playing FPS video games where when you zoomed with yer sniper rifle the retical got bigger on the screen. So I'm used to that. I really like it. But you might not. Look thoguh/play one and see how you like it first.

review of IOR 1.1-4X26

ETA: pulled the one review cuz It didn't have the first focal plane explination in it like I thought. I'll try to find the one with the explination.

ETA At the bottom of the page is an explination of first focal plane reticle

USOptics explination
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Onslaught, take a look at this...

This eye relief is perfect with the Vltor retracted to the second of five positions and the scope moved forward.

(I personally cannot retract the stock any further without the worry of poking my eye out on the latch...)

This scope has the Green retical and the rubber eyepiece isn't soft/flexable enough to work for my eye.  I like looking through the optic w/o it.. Just me..

It really is a nice, clear scope with what I think is a usable retical. When I pic up a rangefinder I'll follow up on any rangefinding.

Link Posted: 5/16/2004 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I just received the 1.1-4x26 CRT scope with the CQB reticle that I ordered from Liberty Optics. It is one *nice* scope (and Liberty's price was right!). I also have M2 but the lack of eye relief is a big problem to me, especially with configurations that have heavy recoil (i.e. calibers > .223). I've also noticed that M2 is quite tricky to use without the rubber eyecup: unless your eye is positioned just right (using the eyecup) the parallax error can be intolerable. Another problem with M2 is that repeatability of windage and elevation adjustments are *far* from good (they don't even come close to IOR's 2.5-10x42, which I also have). Maybe my M2 is a lemon, but I am not very happy with it. On the other hand, IOR 2.5-10x42 is as good as scopes get.

I am mounting the 1.1-4x26 CRT on a .50 cal Beowulf that I am putting together. I hope that the scope can take the torture... I'll post a report after the first test within a couple of weeks.

TJ
Link Posted: 5/17/2004 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Anbody got a link or contact info for Liberty Optics?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2004 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I found this:

Pat R. Henry, Proprietor
Liberty Optics
PO Box 208
Island Grove FL 32654
352-572-1469
[email protected]

This is not confirmed, it is from anoher board.
Link Posted: 5/17/2004 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#38]
The contact information is correct. The name of the person I dealt with was Scott. It was a very smooth transaction - I received the scope in less than a week. I paid with PayPal but he also accepts credit cards.

TJ
Link Posted: 5/17/2004 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I just received the 1.1-4x26 CRT scope with the CQB reticle that I ordered from Liberty Optics. It is one *nice* scope (and Liberty's price was right!). I also have M2 but the lack of eye relief is a big problem to me, especially with configurations that have heavy recoil (i.e. calibers > .223). I've also noticed that M2 is quite tricky to use without the rubber eyecup: unless your eye is positioned just right (using the eyecup) the parallax error can be intolerable. Another problem with M2 is that repeatability of windage and elevation adjustments are *far* from good (they don't even come close to IOR's 2.5-10x42, which I also have). Maybe my M2 is a lemon, but I am not very happy with it. On the other hand, IOR 2.5-10x42 is as good as scopes get.

I am mounting the 1.1-4x26 CRT on a .50 cal Beowulf that I am putting together. I hope that the scope can take the torture... I'll post a report after the first test within a couple of weeks.

TJ

Glad you liked dealing with Liberty and the info above is correct....also let me know how it held up to the Beowulf....A friend of mine is working with a manufactor on loading up some beowulf ammo for us...He's in NC too. If you want contact me and I'll hook you up with him and maybe you can get ammo reloaded from this source too. Also this is open to ALL! Since the more we can buy the cheaper it will be

Bigant
Link Posted: 5/18/2004 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Bigant,

I'd be very interested in Beowulf reloads!

TJ
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top