BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/1/2011 7:16:54 AM EDT
100 round AR15 drum ?

Are they any good, do they work ?

Which ones are recommended ?

Can you store them loaded for long periods of time ?

PS : CDNN has the Korean 100 rd drum for $119.95 are these any good ?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#1]
The only one I know of is the Beta-C mag, as far as the other questions, I have no answers.

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#2]
The Korean drum is a good copy of the BETA C for a fraction of the price.I know earlier generation C Mags had some issues that were cleared up in later models,those problems were like 7 years ago.I have a Korean model and so far in the last 3k rounds its functioned fine.Instead of the supplied graphite I use aspray on dry lube for the internals.I leave it loaded and so far no problems.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Korean drum is a good copy of the BETA C for a fraction of the price.I know earlier generation C Mags had some issues that were cleared up in later models,those problems were like 7 years ago.I have a Korean model and so far in the last 3k rounds its functioned fine.Instead of the supplied graphite I use aspray on dry lube for the internals.I leave it loaded and so far no problems.

Sounds good.
What is aspray on dry lube ?
Where can I get it ?
Thanks for you reply.

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Microlon dry film lube I get it at my local shop and only use it for the beta mag,otherwise I use slip2000 EWL and slip gun grease on my weapons.It sprays on and leaves the surface dry even though its lubed..no wet feel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Microlon dry film lube I get it at my local shop and only use it for the beta mag,otherwise I use slip2000 EWL and slip gun grease on my weapons.It sprays on and leaves the surface dry even though its lubed..no wet feel.

Thanks for your reply.

I will order one of the Korean 100 rd mags for $119.95 soon.

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't brought myself to try one of the knock off mags. I own beta mags, so can't see dropping $100+ on a "maybe". The beta's work great, and you can find them used for around $200.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I haven't brought myself to try one of the knock off mags. I own beta mags, so can't see dropping $100+ on a "maybe". The beta's work great, and you can find them used for around $200.

How much are the new Beta mags going for ?

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:13:16 AM EDT
[#8]
$250 IIRC
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#9]
The Beta mag is somewhat fragile, and I would guess the same can be said of the Korean version. For a little more $$$, take a look at the new Surefire quad-stack mags (LINK). You may have to wait a while for the 100-round version, but it is likely to be a lot more robust. The only downside would be the extra height it adds versus the drum.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#10]
To Stealthy those surefire mags especially the 60 rounders look good you could carry 10+1 and although weight wise its about the same as carrying 20 30 rders it makes carrying more ammo easier because they save space on gear..just the price tag thats a bit high its like what $125 for the 60 rder?
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#11]
The Beta mag may or may not be fragile but i know if you drop a loaded GI mag  and i assume the new 60 rd surefire is Alu the chances are it will not go back into the magwell easily if it will at all. I do have a beta mag. It is a preban and i have had it for many years i have dropped it several times and although it now has a chip in the plastic it still functions 100%.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually there were drop tests done independently and pics posted on this site a few years back..drop tests of loaded lancer,Pmags,H&K steel,aluminum GI dropped from 15 feet feed lip first through a pvc tube on concrete only the GI aluminums and lancers survived feed lip damage.Ive taken alot of classes and have left mags where they fell when ejeted and reloaded and while anything can break ive never had problems getting mags back in although ive dented some good enough on the bodies where at some point feeding is compromised.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#13]
If you want the drum style, go with the ARMATAC 150 round Drum!!!  I have one and it has worked a lot better than the KCI beta mag.

Here is the link to a video of me shooting all 150 rounds on full auto.  12-13 seconds of fun
ARMATAC 150 round full auto dump!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Then there is the 120 rd Chinese drum.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:02:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you want the drum style, go with the ARMATAC 150 round Drum!!!  I have one and it has worked a lot better than the KCI beta mag.

Here is the link to a video of me shooting all 150 rounds on full auto.  12-13 seconds of fun

Nice
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 1:57:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

but you can get two or even three of the korean C mag for the cost of one saw mag?

define "it has worked alot better"
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

but you can get two or even three of the korean C mag for the cost of one saw mag?

define "it has worked alot better"

With the KCI beta mag, the last 15 shot or first 15 loaded into the drum  would jam on me.  With the ARMATAC It shoots all 150 rounds no problem.

Link Posted: 8/20/2011 12:50:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How much green for that?
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 1:53:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How much green for that?

$600ish last I checked.

Screw that! Could build a PSA AR for that. Or buy 70 D&H mags.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#22]
The Armatac's are $380.   Check out their vids.   Drop a loaded Beta mag on concrete and see what happens.

Armatac drum
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How much green for that?

$600ish last I checked.

Got mine back in March or April of this year, it was $414.55 shipped, and came with 160 rounds of PMC .223 rounds, from US Tactical Supply.  Oh that price also included the loader.  I think it was free ammo if you bought the Saw Mag and Loader. They no longer offer the free ammo deal.
http://ustacticalsupply.com/saw-mag.aspx
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 12:35:31 AM EDT
[#24]
after looking at it from a reliability and resistance to abuse, I think the saw-mag is probably the ticket. if they made one a little smaller like a 100 round version they would have a sure thing maybe have the price around the beta mag as well. but I suppose the 150 round capacity sets them apart alone.

if I have problems with the KCI mag I just ordered I'll look at the armatac 150 round saw-mag
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 3:45:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Just sayin'   if you look in the Industry forum for Centerfire Systems they have a link to get the KCI 100 rounder for $99 if you were lookin for one

I had 2 in the past and both were GTG I just had let some friends talk me out of them and hadn't replaced them till now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just sayin'   if you look in the Industry forum for Centerfire Systems they have a link to get the KCI 100 rounder for $99 if you were lookin for one

I had 2 in the past and both were GTG I just had let some friends talk me out of them and hadn't replaced them till now.

that sucks butt... soon as I order one for $135+ ship I learn of the ones for $99.99 LOL. welp, if I can sell the one I just got and a few of the other pieces I'm GTG and can order 2 of those guys LOL thanks for the  heads up
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 1:55:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

that sucks butt... soon as I order one for $135+ ship I learn of the ones for $99.99 LOL. welp, if I can sell the one I just got and a few of the other pieces I'm GTG and can order 2 of those guys LOL thanks for the  heads up

There were a limited # being sold at that price so don't wait too long.
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How much green for that?

$600ish last I checked.

Got mine back in March or April of this year, it was $414.55 shipped, and came with 160 rounds of PMC .223 rounds, from US Tactical Supply.  Oh that price also included the loader.  I think it was free ammo if you bought the Saw Mag and Loader. They no longer offer the free ammo deal.

I am really thinking about one of these.  I can't see the money for a beta when they are so fragile.  I have a bunch of drums for my AK's but this would be a first and probably only for my AR's.  Sherm, is there anything you don't like about it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How much green for that?

$600ish last I checked.

I am really thinking about one of these.  I can't see the money for a beta when they are so fragile.  I have a bunch of drums for my AK's but this would be a first and probably only for my AR's.  Sherm, is there anything you don't like about it?

The only con I have with the drum is the size, it's very large, but it will be for 150 rounds.

There are a lot of pros, just a couple are it's made in the USA and ARMATAC's (Mike Snow) customer service is excellent!!!!  He sent me a modified Loader with it.  I was having issued with the KCI drum, he was helping me trouble shoot it, because of that I bought the 150 round drum.  I would recommend getting a H2 and H3(I need to pick up one of these) buffers.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#30]
That SAW-MAG freaking huge but it looks like it can take a beating keep on working.  I like the special carry bag they sell as well.  Loading 150 rounds in that mag has got to suck...
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That SAW-MAG freaking huge but it looks like it can take a beating keep on working.  I like the special carry bag they sell as well.  Loading 150 rounds in that mag has got to suck...

But unloading it quickly is major
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But unloading it quickly is major

Can you load it with a Lula?  I know it would take longer.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top