Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2010 6:21:28 PM EDT
I was curious of the quality of these Korean mags so I decided I'd give one a try. Both the Beta C and Korean mag are brand new for this comparison

First off the carry pouch is very similar

Beta C on the left

Beta C mag

Korean mag

Beta C on the left

Beta C on top

Korean mag

Beta C

Beta C on top

Beta C on left, should be noted that the graphite on the Korean makes it look like plastic on the end of the arms. It is metal

Beta C tower on left

The spring tension in both mags feel the same as does the material of the outer and inner body pieces. I feel in my opinion that anything that would damage the Korean mag would also damage the Beta C.

Overall I am happy with the mag and while I have not taken this mag to the range yet I see no reason why it wouldn't function as it should.

Edit- as requested pics of the manual and accessories.

The Korean mag pouch and personal loader(loose rounds 5 at a time) and graphite tubes.

The Beta C mag pouch and clip loader(requires stripper clips 10 rounds at a time) and graphite tubes.

Beta C pouch on right

hidden documentation for Beta C

Manuals

Beta C

Korean

Beta C manual is much more detailed in information

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty damn close !!
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
'Tis a reasonable facsimile!  I wonder if it malfunctions the same?
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
'Tis a reasonable facsimile!  I wonder if it malfunctions the same?

No joke.

If the Korean mag breaks the same and jams the same but is cheaper.   I think I'd say to hell with it and go with the Korean mag.   Only possibility is that it is some how better  In other words my opinion of it is that it has nowhere to go but up.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
from the pics the korean mag looks to have a better finish than the betaC. smoother and considerably less mold lines.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
from the pics the korean mag looks to have a better finish than the betaC. smoother and considerably less mold lines.

whats really funny is that when I had a couple of friends(who had no prior beta c experience) choose which one they thought was the more expensive one they chose the Korean mag.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Do the parts swap?
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 2:47:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do the parts swap?

Exactly.

Feed tower, and back  cover?
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 5:15:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Currently can't see the pictures because of work, but I like what you have written up so far.

I would like to see a comparison of the Manuals.  I got my KCI drum the other day and haven't tested it out yet, but in the directions/manual I can't find where it says to use graphite lube, however I'm sure the Beta-Co does?
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Currently can't see the pictures because of work, but I like what you have written up so far.

I would like to see a comparison of the Manuals.  I got my KCI drum the other day and haven't tested it out yet, but in the directions/manual I can't find where it says to use graphite lube, however I'm sure the Beta-Co does?

I'll edit the post to do a comparison of the accessories and manuals, wont get a chance until tomorrow but ill do it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 5:38:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do the parts swap?

Exactly.

Feed tower, and back  cover?

Yes the back panels interchange with ease  The feed tower is a different story, while the towers will interchange the metal clip has its holes drilled in slightly different positions making it a pain to swap. However I think that if the tower ever needed replacement BetaCo's tower kit would work.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 4:29:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for your review.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thank you for your review.

You're welcome, I hope it helps others.

Also Shermantor-AR15 you are supposed to add the graphite lube to the dummy rounds and the graphite will be distributed through loading. Manual(beta's) states every 4 to 5 hundred rounds. If your Korean mag is anything like mine they added enough graphite for 4 to 5 thousand rounds. I'm still cleaning up after that first dis assembly

First post edited for added info
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I use several Beta C's for select fire M16/LWRC M6A2 and have followed the advice of others and had zero malfunctions. Lube every time!

I don't buy the Korean mags because they don't help the industry: All they produce are copies (some good (these) some bad (Glock 18's)) while spending zero on R&D. Would they have ever come up with the idea of the Beta C? Not a chance...

You buy their crap you hurt those making such innovations possible.

My $.02
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't buy the Korean mags because they don't help the industry: All they produce are copies (some good (these) some bad (Glock 18's)) while spending zero on R&D. Would they have ever come up with the idea of the Beta C? Not a chance...

My $.02

While I agree with you on buying american( or even just non knock off) to help the industry I feel in this case of an expired patent that it would be healthy for the consumer. A little competition if you will, one that I would hope brings down the price of the Beta C mags. During the ban period Beta C mags were going for 7-800 dollars each. Because I wanted one I paid those outlandish prices, later realizing  the ban would end and the mag was definitely not worth that much to me and soon no one else i sold it. I bought another one soon after the ban ended for 275 but even then I still think that is a little steep for a mag. Besides if the inventor of the beta mag had his way we would all be shooting ak's from the hip.

just my opinions

Link Posted: 5/6/2010 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My $.02

Sort of like what was posted above, this is a product with an expired patent.  They did their R&D, they made their money.  Now they're getting paid for doing no further R&D, and still charging obscene prices for an old product.  They've *stopped* making innovations.

If anything, buying the cheap one is good for the industry because it's going to encourage Beta C to improve or come out with something new to differentiate themselves and provide a better product.  If we keep telling the company "hey, we'll keep paying top dollar for your old crap" then they have zero reason to move forward and improve their product.

I'm all about supporting people who do their work, but at some point you need to encourage competition too and look out for the consumer's interests.
Link Posted: 5/7/2010 4:55:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for posting the pictures on the manual that I can't currently see until I get home tonight. hehe.

I think I will follow the advice of lubing everytime.

I agree with the other replies about why the KCI over the Beta-Co, and here is my reply of how I feel about buying the Korean made beta mag over Beta-Co's C-mag.  The Koreans do make quality products, especially with something that has been proven else where, the tend to take something and in most cases make them better.  They may have done so in this case, we'll find out with time.

Also the major issue is price point, value vs price, I have never thought that the C-Mag's value to me was worth more than a price of $175.  So when the KCI became known to me and was able to pick one up for the low price of $138 total, that to me became a resonable value for the mag and I got it.  However I did ask the question in another post, why hasn't Magpul, C-Products, or BDM etc... picked up and started to make these, as there is a market for them especially if you get the price points below $150.
Link Posted: 5/7/2010 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My $.02

While I agree with you on buying american( or even just non knock off) to help the industry I feel in this case of an expired patent that it would be healthy for the consumer. A little competition if you will, one that I would hope brings down the price of the Beta C mags. During the ban period Beta C mags were going for 7-800 dollars each. Because I wanted one I paid those outlandish prices, later realizing  the ban would end and the mag was definitely not worth that much to me and soon no one else i sold it. I bought another one soon after the ban ended for 275 but even then I still think that is a little steep for a mag. Besides if the inventor of the beta mag had his way we would all be shooting ak's from the hip.

just my opinions

While I'm not the grammar police...you'd better start spelling American w/a capital 'A', son.

As for the Korean mags: Obviously no one on this thread has compared the Korean (much cheaper) mags to the Glock 18 mags...they look nearly identical but the factory Glocks function so much better...you don't worry about the price.

Again BUY American products, from cars on down and watch our economy recover a lot more quickly.

Do you think the Koreans/Japanese/others give a rat's ass about us?

Link Posted: 5/7/2010 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#18]
with these mags its most likely a case where the guys buying the korean mag would never have bought a real beta mag.
I really have no use for a bulky fragile 100rd mag but for $130 I might try one just for the hell of it
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 1:16:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Where did you pick up the KCI mag?
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, since the OP took a lot of pictures you can get to mine after you watch my video, just click next to see the pictures.

Anyway finally got out today, I loaded the KCI Beta mag last night with 100 rounds of Federal XM193C.  Shoot it today on full auto, ran it until I got a jam, had about 15 rounds still left in the mag.  It seems like the last 15 rounds or so in the mag were under extreme spring tension or pressure, that it would not allow the bolt to slam forward hence jamming up the gun..  I'm sure there is a way to adjust it tension?  I do not have any experience with the C-Mag so I don't know.  If it can be, this is going to be a nice range toy, and I will pick up another one in the future.

Link to Video of KCI beta mag approx 85 rounds till it jams
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well, since the OP took a lot of pictures you can get to mine after you watch my video, just click next to see the pictures.

Anyway finally got out today, I loaded the KCI Beta mag last night with 100 rounds of Federal XM193C.  Shoot it today on full auto, ran it until I got a jam, had about 15 rounds still left in the mag.  It seems like the last 15 rounds or so in the mag were under extreme spring tension or pressure, that it would not allow the bolt to slam forward hence jamming up the gun..  I'm sure there is a way to adjust it tension?  I do not have any experience with the C-Mag so I don't know.  If it can be, this is going to be a nice range toy, and I will pick up another one in the future.

Link to Video of KCI beta mag approx 85 rounds till it jams

6 Beta C mags/1000's of rounds never a jam/ftf/problem.

Link Posted: 5/9/2010 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, for the post/review.  I recently purchased a KCI drum and was wondering how they compared to the Beta-mag.

Thank you,
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The South Koreans sure do.  Aside from all of the military assistance we provide, many of South Korea's brightest come to the US and directly contribute to our economy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#24]
South Koreans are good people. No reason to talk a lot of shit about them. There are several pseudo-Americans that I'd trade for them in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I use several Beta C's for select fire M16/LWRC M6A2 and have followed the advice of others and had zero malfunctions. Lube every time!

My $.02

I thought there was a Patent on these! If so how do they get away with making a knock off?

Edit: Unless the patent is expired.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#26]
[/quote]

While I'm not the grammar police...you'd better start spelling American w/a capital 'A', son.

As for the Korean mags: Obviously no one on this thread has compared the Korean (much cheaper) mags to the Glock 18 mags...they look nearly identical but the factory Glocks function so much better...you don't worry about the price.

Again BUY American products, from cars on down and watch our economy recover a lot more quickly.

[/quote]

I meant this from an economic perspective, I'm sure they're very nice people but we're in trouble HERE! Our continued rationalizations for spending our money on foreign made products has our economy in the sorry state it is in today. Packing up $30,000 and sending it to Japan for a Toyota (assembled in America...Where do the profits go?) or $130 for a Korean mag is all the same. It continues to hurt our economy.

Stick with American made products or seal your fate as a slave to the Kenyan and the Dems...

Link Posted: 5/12/2010 4:13:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I thought there was a Patent on these! If so how do they get away with making a knock off?

Edit: Unless the patent is expired.

You are correct, the patent most likely expired in 2007, the Beta-Co C-Mag was given a patent in 1987.

Link Posted: 5/12/2010 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#28]

I meant this from an economic perspective, I'm sure they're very nice people but we're in trouble HERE! Our continued rationalizations for spending our money on foreign made products has our economy in the sorry state it is in today. Packing up $30,000 and sending it to Japan for a Toyota (assembled in America...Where do the profits go?) or $130 for a Korean mag is all the same. It continues to hurt our economy.

Stick with American made products or seal your fate as a slave to the Kenyan and the Dems...

Toyota is a bad example. . . .  Like you said it's assembled in America.  That means tons of salaries and benefits for American workers.  Much of the profit is made at the local dealers, which goes straight into American pockets.  The financing profits go to many American banks.  TMC is a publicly traded company, with much of it being held by Americans and American mutual funds and retirement systems, thus a large portion of the dividends go to Americans.  Plus the overall build quality of the Japanese vehicles have forced the "American" companies to actually produce some decent products instead of the crap they used to call motor vehicles.  :D

And as evidenced by Greece, we're just as dependent on the international market as we are our own.

But there is something to be said by buying US.  I love supporting companies like Stag Arms, Magpul, Federal Ammunition, etc.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top