Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2010 12:57:07 PM EDT
The table below lists the accuracy of multiple “mil-spec” loads when fired from semi-automatic AR-15s with chrome-lined, NATO chambered barrels.  The data is based on three 10-shot groups fired in a row from a distance of 100 yards.

This accuracy (technically precision) evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any Group Reduction Techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots). The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The barrels used in the evaluation were free-floated. The free-float handguards of the rifles rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifles rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

….

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]
i know you've tested before, but since you're running some of these ammo again...is it possible you try out some m855 and xm193's (preferrably imi and federal) to see how it fair in a 1/7 barrel, either 14.5" or 16"??  just curious how repeatable your previous tests using 1/7 vs 1/9 twist is..
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Does the Black Hills mk262 perform as accurately out of the 16" HBAR vs the 20"?
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Suprised to see the IMI M855 group better than the IMI M193.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I still prefer the IMI M193 especially since I just ordered another case at under 30 cents a rnd shipped.

Quoted:

Suprised to see the IMI M855 group better than the IMI M193.

Link Posted: 12/20/2010 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does the Black Hills mk262 perform as accurately out of the 16" HBAR vs the 20"?

length itself has no affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it being a different rifle does.  So my question should be, does the Black Hills perform as accurately out of the 16" HBAR you fired the other ammo types with?
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it being a different rifle does.  So my question should be, does the Black Hills perform as accurately out of the 16" HBAR you fired the other ammo types with?

The 16” HBAR (the same barrel found on the Colt 6721) used in testing the other loads has a 1:9” twist, which does not adequately stabilize the Sierra 77 grain MatchKing that is loaded in MK262. The Sierra 77 grain MatchKing will shoot just fine from a 16” barrel that has a twist rate that will adequately stabilize it.  The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from a 16” Noveske Recon barrel (which has a 1:7” twist) using hand-loaded 77 grain MatchKings.

….

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 4:20:08 AM EDT
[#8]
It is interesting that the Win and IMI M855 are relatively accurate.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Putting the MK318 into perspective here, its not really as bad as its stand alone review seemed to indicate (at least to me). Thanks for the comparison compilation Molon.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Molon:  I hate to do this, but how could it be possible that this guy got the group he did with XM193 at 500 yards?  Is it because he didn't shoot a 10 round group.  I'm not trying to start anything, but it just seems that his results should not be possible with the data you posted here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Molon:  I hate to do this, but how could it be possible that this guy got the group he did with XM193 at 500 yards?  Is it because he didn't shoot a 10 round group.  I'm not trying to start anything, but it just seems that his results should not be possible with the data you posted here.

I wonder why that is?  When you see a claim posted that you think is questionable, ask the  shooter to post pics of three 10-shot groups fired in a row, (the minimum standard of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit.)  Then grab some popcorn and sit back and listen for all the excuses to start flying.

By the way, did you know that Wolf black-box ammunition is capable of ½ MOA accuracy?  

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Putting the MK318 into perspective here, its not really as bad as its stand alone review seemed to indicate (at least to me).

Excellent point; I've added the table to the MK318 Mod 0 thread.

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder why that is?  When you see a claim posted that you think is questionable, ask the  shooter to post pics of three 10-shot groups fired in a row, (the minimum standard of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit.)  Then grab some popcorn and sit back and listen for all the excuses to start flying.

By the way, did you know that Wolf black-box ammunition is capable of ½ MOA accuracy?  

Ha.  I see what you did there.  In re-reading the thread he did say that this was probably a fluke and that he probably would not be able to replicate it, so he's not claiming it's a consistent thing.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top