Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2009 7:44:30 PM EDT
I have an AR-15 and Mini-14.  I understand that traditionally FMJ is the bullet of choice for combat and self-protection from these guns.  And, I have ample supply of it.  However, I also have quite a bit of soft-point ammunition.  Are .223 soft-point ammo useless in social-situations?  Would I be putting myself at risk if I use these for protection/defensive situations?  

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Soft point(SP) for home protection actually isn't a bad idea. You find SP used in applications when it matters where the bullet ends up after it goes through the target. FMJ has the ability to travel through wall(s) and can end up who knows where after being fired through a soft target. Last thing a SWAT team or other law enforcement agency needs is innocent bystanders being struck by a .223 round fired by an officer after it goes through the siding of a house or other seemingly "solid" object. Using that same thought process.....where do you think a FMJ round could end up after you fire it at a home intruder? Sheetrock doesn't stop bullets very well and could very easily travel into one of your loved ones bedrooms while they are laying in bed. Just stuff to think about.....a lot of this is covered in the thread Zhukov posted
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top