Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2009 5:17:16 AM EDT
the .22lr cmmg 27 rnd mag seems to hold only 25 rnds, the fit and function is great though, anyone else been able to load 27 rnds?
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#1]
It's funny that you say they are a 27 round mag.  All the sites that I have bought them from state they are a 26/25 round mag but will only hold 25 rounds with the included bolt hold open follower that is installed.

I pulled one out just now and could only get 24 rounds in it.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/303.php
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar2225grfama.html
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/CMMG_AR15_26rd_.22lr_Magazine.html

Replacement internals are available from Black Dog Machine for their mags which are interchangeable.  You might get some of these and try some dremel work to the internals to get an extra round or two.

Black Dog Machine states theirs only hold 25 rounds with the BHO follower.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
CMMG says they hold 26 rounds with bolt hold open follower.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1732996&cat=81&

All CMMG magazines will have the bolt hold open follower included. When using the bolt hold open follower, magazine will only hold 26 rounds.

26 Round Magazine for .22 Long Rifle

Polymer .22 LR magazine for CMMG .22 LR sub-caliber conversion kits. 26 round capacity with bolt catch follower. The full size design can utilize your existing magazine pouches and rifle case magazine carriers.
SKU Number:M-26-22

I only load mine with 25 rounds because that's 1/2 a box of 5, or 1/22 of a box of 550 Keeps things nice and even.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
my bad, i assumed they were 27 rnders like the BDM, for i was told that they are just like the BDM mags, i can get the 26th rnd in with a lot of force though it maybe dangerous,  i do like the idea of spliting the 50 rnd boxes with 2 mags......the best thing about them is that they are not made of brittle material, +1 for CMMG, make that +2 for pricing them lower than the BDM
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
my bad, i assumed they were 27 rnders like the BDM, for i was told that they are just like the BDM mags, i can get the 26th rnd in with a lot of force though it maybe dangerous,  i do like the idea of spliting the 50 rnd boxes with 2 mags......the best thing about them is that they are not made of brittle material, +1 for CMMG, make that +2 for pricing them lower than the BDM

Here is a screenshot from Black Dog Machine.  Can you please point out where it states on their site that even BDM mags hold 27 rounds?

You must be seeing something there that escapes my eyes.  I see where is says 26 round mag and then states the mag will only hold 25 rounds with the installed Bolt Hold Open follower, just as I mentioned previously.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
22lr AR15 Magazine GenII Black Dog Magazine
22lr magazines for your AR15 conversion kit. Available in 10rd and 27rd capacity. Fits Ceiner, Atchisson, & Spikes Tactical kits. Highly reliable feeding in both semi and full auto weapons. These are heavy duty mags that weigh more than a 30rd stainless .223 magazine and can be easily disassembled. Made in the USA and made to last! Satisfaction guaranteed or money back.

off the 44mag website
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]
AR-15 27 Round .22lr Conversion Magazine
Atchisson/Ciener Conversion
This magazine comes in four different colors:
BLACK (shown), SMOKE, CLEAR and FLAT DARK EARTH  

Click on a color below to change that option in the cart interface.
SMOKE, CLEAR and FLAT DARK EARTH  

another add
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]
It doesn't matter what vendors post on their sites.  I gave you a screen shot of the Manufacturer's site and what they claim, they build them so I guess they should know what their own mags will hold.

Neither BDM or CMMG claim their mags hold 27 rounds and I already told you the mags are shipped with the bolt hold open follower that reduces mag capacity by one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I only load 25 anyways. Makes it easier to keep track of round count.

I actually got into this habit before I had Christies mag loader. It was just a pain in the ass to get the last few rounds in the conversion mags with out it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have a picture of the inside of the new CMMG .22lr mags?
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 6:29:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I only load 25 anyways. Makes it easier to keep track of round count.

I actually got into this habit before I had Christies mag loader. It was just a pain in the ass to get the last few rounds in the conversion mags with out it.

My Christie's loader broke yesterday trying to get a 26th round into one of these mags to show exactly how many rounds of Federal would fit in the mag.  If you can't get 26 rounds in the mag without breaking the loader, the mag holds 25 rounds with the BHO follower.

You can not get the original followers that allowed one more round anywhere so unless someone is good with a dremel they aren't going to get more rounds in the mags.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Easy to do when you rip off someones design and don't have to pay royalties or licensing fees.....

Mikey
BDM ONLY!
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 3:46:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone have a picture of the inside of the new CMMG .22lr mags?

Picture from an old thread.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy to do when you rip off someones design and don't have to pay royalties or licensing fees.....

Mikey
BDM ONLY!

Why don't you guys at BDM file a lawsuit then?  If you are just going to go to every thread and cry about them ripping you off it just makes you look like whiners.  Pursue it in court or stop whinning.

Link Posted: 6/28/2009 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mikey
BDM ONLY!

Why don't you guys at BDM file a lawsuit then?  If you are just going to go to every thread and cry about them ripping you off it just makes you look like whiners.  Pursue it in court or stop whinning.

No whining here, just stating the facts. CMMG ripped off a design and is profiting from it. Also, don't ASSume I work for BDM. I am just a loyal customer of a company that makes a fine product. If you choose CMMG over them so be it. Peace...

Mikey

Link Posted: 6/28/2009 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mikey
BDM ONLY!

I'll bet BDM took some real close measurements of Ciener mags before they designed their polymer mags.  Should we be bashing BDM for ripping off Ciener?  Should be be bashing Spikes and CMMG for copying the Ciener/Atchinson conversion kit?

If BDM didn't patent or copyright their design then CMMG did nothing wrong by copying it.  If BDM did patent or copyright their design then they should have a court injunction against CMMG.

As my young son likes to say,

" Build a bridge and get over it"
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No whining here, just stating the facts. CMMG ripped off a design and is profiting from it. Also, don't ASSume I work for BDM. I am just a loyal customer of a company that makes a fine product. If you choose CMMG over them so be it. Peace...

Mikey

Just funny that everyone that works for them or is in their family from Idaho chimes into these threads.  Aren't you from Idaho?

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 6:14:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mikey

Just funny that everyone that works for them or is in their family from Idaho chimes into these threads.  Aren't you from Idaho?

Damn straight I'm from Idaho, but once again, NO AFFILIATION with BDM, just a customer who appreciated the product.
The patent for the original Ceiner,/Atchisson design had run out, (US Patent 4169329 issued 10/2/79), which is why there are multiple .22 conversions out there. I only responded because I thought it was pretty chickenshit of cmmg to blatantly copy someone else's work. Granted the original design was copied by BDM, but it was done in plastic not metal.
Go ahead and buy your mags from cmmg if it makes you happy, but I am out of this thread.

Mikey

Mikey
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 7:00:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Damn straight I'm from Idaho, but once again, NO AFFILIATION with BDM, just a customer who appreciated the product.
The patent for the original Ceiner,/Atchisson design had run out, (US Patent 4169329 issued 10/2/79), which is why there are multiple .22 conversions out there. I only responded because I thought it was pretty chickenshit of cmmg to blatantly copy someone else's work. Granted the original design was copied by BDM, but it was done in plastic not metal.
Go ahead and buy your mags from cmmg if it makes you happy, but I am out of this thread.

Mikey

What?  OK for BDM to copy something but no one else?  What about all those companies making AR15 mags?  If they have a patent on the plastic mags they can file a lawsuit.

If they lower the price to be competitive and address the issue of cracking problems (which they admitted to in the other thread) then they will sell all they can.  Seems they couldn't provide enough mags to meet the need of their buyers.  Maybe that shortage was artificial to maintain the price at almost double what CMMG sells at.

Prices of CMMG mags are $18.96 delivered from Aimsurplus vs $35.00 plus shipping for the BDM mags from BDM.  

I was buying mags from BDM.  They came out with a 10/22 mag for $15.00 then raised the price to $20.00.  I'll pass on future purchases myself, I can get Butler Creek steel lip mags for just a bit more.here  BDM makes an almost identical copy but with plastic lips.  Shooters Ridge also makes a copy of the mag that is almost a twin.
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I got CMMG .22lr mags for $17.05 at Palmetto State Armory with their 10% off summer sale
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Received 7 mags today and they seem to very durable. Haven't used them yet. Will report on them after I go shooting this weekend. Seem to be alot smaller than black dog mags.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top