Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2004 8:51:18 AM EDT

I just got the mid-length profile barrel from Marty at Teppo Jutsu in 7.62x25. The parkerizing on the barrel was perfect and so was the fit as I installed all the necessary parts. I put the carbine together ASAP and went to the range. At first I had a little break-in problem with the ejector being just a hair too high up against the bolt but that was easy to correct. I had loaded 25 rounds in 4 PPS-43 magazines (they actually hold 32 rounds) and after the little minor problem at the very beginning, I went through all 4 mags without a hitch. My only complaint was I only brought 100 rounds of ammo and went through it in nothing flat!

This is my 7.62x25 carbine -- I tried to keep it light so there is nothing fancy.

This is a picture of a 9mm round next to a 7.62x25 round just to show the difference in size.

picture showing the 7.62 block's ejector further back compared to a Colt block ejector.

looking down at the 7.62 magblock (top) compared to a Colt type block. Notice the ejector is back in the pocket of the AR magwell on the 7.62 magblock.

The front and rear blocks with a PPS-43 mag in the middle.

Sheet metal box needed because the PPS-43 mag is narrow and is a sloppy fit in the AR magwell.
This could be made bigger and attached to both the front and rear pieces to make a single magblock.

This is the rear piece showing the ejector (from Brownells) and the groove for the ridge on the rear of the PPS-43 magazine.

Please keep in mind this was all a prototype and the parts are a little rough but since they worked great I decided not to go any further -- dont' fix it if it ain't broke!
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Your pics didn't work.

What are you using for a mag block?

THEY WORK NOW
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#2]
red x
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Darn RED X!!!! Is there a member that can post my pictures if I e-mail them to you??????
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.

In exchange for details of your project
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd like to know what kind of velocity the 7.62X25 round is producing out of a carbine; that should be impressive.

Link Posted: 12/4/2004 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Gamma762
    please e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll e-mail back all the pictures including the magblock pics.

By the way, the muzzle velocity is around 2100 fps.
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]

By the way, the muzzle velocity is around 2100 fps.

Link Posted: 12/4/2004 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Gamma762 for helping me out with the pictures!
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#9]
No problem, looks like an interesting and promising project.
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
[Mr Burns]   Yes, interesting indeed.....[/Mr. Burns]

The 7.62x25 round, as is, will penatrate a "vest"...and that is out of the pistol.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#11]
AR-fan,   That is one very nice looking Carbine.
I think the 7.62X25 Cartridge is a good subject for an AR Caliber Conversion.  Also it has a "cool" look to it with the curved mags.  What is the total weight of this Carbine?
I applaud your success.  If you ever give thought of getting rid of it, give me an email.
I wonder if 9X23 (or is there a 9X25 cartridge) would work in he PPSH-43 Mags?
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#12]
awesome job man hope it wokrs great for ya!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Oooohh.. nice one, Marty!  That's a cute round for a "pistol" caliber conversion.  It keeps you a little higher up on the power scale than 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
AR-fan,   That is one very nice looking Carbine.
I think the 7.62X25 Cartridge is a good subject for an AR Caliber Conversion.  Also it has a "cool" look to it with the curved mags.  What is the total weight of this Carbine?
I applaud your success.  If you ever give thought of getting rid of it, give me an email.
I wonder if 9X23 (or is there a 9X25 cartridge) would work in he PPSH-43 Mags?

In regards to the highlighted red, the answer to both is yes.  The 7.62x25 round is longer then the 10mm (the parent of the 9x25 if I recall correctly).   I've got a PPSH43 mag next to me w/ 10mm in it right now. (No, I don't have an upper)

I will be trying to make my own block in the near future.  My main reasoning is to make a 38 Super carbine upper (or 38 TJ, same external case dimentions as the Super, but can be loaded to 9x23 power).  The 9x23 is slightly shorter then the 7.62x25 round.  I like the 38 Super and wanted a carbine (aside from the Mech Tech unit for the 1911 frames).

But any upper, 9x23 or 9x25 will be a custom job.  Next issue will be deciding which pattern to follow, Colt style or Olympic style.

Link Posted: 12/6/2004 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Kaliburz,
    I was just looking up in my "Cartridges of The World" book to check on the lengths and once you get the magblock setup done there sure is a bunch of stuff to pick from. The only problem I can think of is the little indents at the very front of the mag on each side -- I think they will probabily need to be modified to match each type of round you want to build the upper for. The 10mm would make one heck of a cannon. It might just need the extra heavy buffer from SAW Sales and even have their special extra heavy plug pressed into the bolt if you go with the Colt system. All that can cost almost what a barrel costs!
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#16]
AR-fan:
Looking at the PPSH43 mag I have that has 10mm hollow points in it (just for kicks), the little indents would help.  They sort of deflect the round toward the center once stripping starts.  Weather that helps or not, it not known, until an upper is actually built.  With the 10mm round, the front of the mag might need to be trimmed to clear when the bullet is stripped, but that is minor.

The same is true for 38 Super rounds- the curvature of the bullet hugs the indent and deflects it toward the center when stripping.  I'm hoping to someday get my 38 Super (38 TJ) upper made.  They say 20-25% more power from carbine length barrels over the pistol...

Link Posted: 12/7/2004 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Kaliburz,
    Do you have any of the 10mm or 38 Super parts for the upper together yet? If so, it will be good to see another AR caliber added to the list.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#18]
AR-fan,

No,  I don't have anything for a 38 Super or 10mm.  I have what I need for a 357 Sig upper.....just needs to be modifed (aka send to Kurt).....money put aside for it always seems to go somewhere else

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top