Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/28/2009 7:23:03 AM EDT
What's a good scope mount for a DPMS LR-308B?  I know LaRue would be a good mount, and I will most likely get one somewhere down the line, but I'm not able to throw down $200 for a mount at the moment.  Anyone have any suggestions for a good mount or rings?  I'm looking at a 3.5-10x50, so it'll probably have to use high mounts.

Also, to let people know about delivery times, I ordered my LR-308B December 16, and it was delivered to my dealer yesterday (7/27/09).  His original delivery estimate was 7 to 8 months, so that falls right in line.  I asked the DMPS representative a few weeks ago in their Industry forum about delivery times, and I was told 7 to 8 months was on the low end of the delivery time - they told me anywhere from 8-12 months.  I must be lucky, unless DPMS was just being conservative in their estimate.  One thing to note - I ordered it stock so it would come in faster.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#1]
The larue is my favorite, but if your on a budget the Burris PEPR or SWFA SSALT both seem  to be a decent option. I have a couple of the Burris mounts that I plan on using for stuff that doesn't need to QD.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I put an Armalite on my LR308 and have had no problems with it
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can't spend the dough on the Larue...then just get either the PEPR from Burris (<$70) or the Armalite 1-pc mount (around $75).  I have only seen one of the PEPR mounts first hand and I have no experience with them otherwise, but they are getting good reviews.  I have personally used the Armalite mounts (both the 1" and 30mm models) and they are tough, reliable mounts.

Then...after you get it...you can start saving for the Larue.  Once you get one...you won't want anything else.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you can't spend the dough on the Larue...then just get either the PEPR from Burris (<$70) or the Armalite 1-pc mount (around $75).  I have only seen one of the PEPR mounts first hand and I have no experience with them otherwise, but they are getting good reviews.  I have personally used the Armalite mounts (both the 1" and 30mm models) and they are tough, reliable mounts.

Then...after you get it...you can start saving for the Larue.  Once you get one...you won't want anything else.

Oh, trust me, I want the LaRue - I love their products  I just don't have the cash - I just found out today that an offer on a house my wife and I put in was accepted, so the old budget's gonna be real tight for a little while

I'll check out the others everyone listed.  Thanks for the help, everyone!
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I use Warne high steel rings.  Can't remember if the current rings are quick detach or the standard variety that uses an Allen wrench.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I used the Burris Extreme Tactical rings on mine.  About 50 bucks at Midway.  You can see it here: My Gun Click on a pic to make bigger, then click on original at the top to blow that up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 1:11:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Im using the KAC MK11 Mod 2 mount.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 7:05:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I used the Rock River hi-rise mount on mine....  $55 at PKfirearms.com
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the help guys.  What ring height (in inches) should I use for a 50mm objective-lensed scope with a 1" tube?  If my math is correct, I would think 1/2" from bottom of tube to top of rail would be the minimum.

My math:  50mm lense diameter-25.4mm tube = 24.6mm / 2 = 12.3mm

That would only leave about .4mm (1/2"=12.7mm) for the thickness of the tube around the lense.  Is this enough, or should I go with something a little higher than 1/2"?
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#10]
If you can stand UGLY for awhile, buy a cheap set of  "see through"  Weaver style rings. i've seen guys use them as their only AR scope mount.  Then save for the LT mounts.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I put an Armalite on my LR308 and have had no problems with it
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u69/enormjnson/DSCF0105.jpg

You mean you can put armalite parts on a DPMS rifle and it won't explode like a matter/anti matter reaction?!??!?!

Good thing you posted in this forum, the Armalite fan boys would crucify you for such blasphemy.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I am used to explosions I carry a Glock as well

Stand back everyone I am a walking time bomb

BTW I love my Kahles scope, Nothing like looking thru crystal clear glass
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 for Warne QD rings
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#14]
if it's the model with the raised rail, like the pic above, i would not recommend the LaRue anyway.  it will put you too high.  those are designed for an A3 upper.
what you'd want is a good pair of rings. low, or mediums.  just have to check the specs and measure things out.  

if you want to save money, the Burris Xtreme are good rings for pretty cheap.  also, brand new on the market, are Super Sniper rings.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I just recieved my LR-308 also (24" SS Fluted) in ~4 month wait from rguns.  Buying a Bull Barrell like you did implies you want it setup for long range shooting.  If that is the case you typically wanted  a canted base, so none of previous solutions would fit.  My scope appears to work without a forward mount, I knoticed from the other pictures some have used mounts and just put them where rings would have worked.  I ordered Burris Signature Zee 30mm rings for mine.  It gives me the MOA cant I need.  Unless you want to drop big $$ on the Nightforce mount, the next best option is to use the Badger Ordinance 22moa base, it give you the cant that you can use whatever rings you want, and move them forward if needed.  Its reasonable at $95.  If you go that route or don't need a cant I would use the SWFA rings mentioned above.  They ARE Burris XTR rings and Burris P.E.R.P. that are just private label cheaper.  They are cheaper retail from SWFA than Burris rings are from my wholesale account.  For $32-37 for the rings you also get the 30mm to 1" reducers, which  is excellend since you may need the mount for different scopes in the future, usually reducers are about $20 themselves.  I have two sets of SWFA rings but have not tried the once piece mount yet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#16]
DNZ Freedom Reaper is a decent mount. Very solid, and nice machining.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#17]
On my LR 308 B with the slightly raised rail   the Armalite seems to be the right height.  My Larue 104 was a little high.  ( I have an Ace stock )
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:24:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just recieved my LR-308 also (24" SS Fluted) in ~4 month wait from rguns.  Buying a Bull Barrell like you did implies you want it setup for long range shooting.  If that is the case you typically wanted  a canted base, so none of previous solutions would fit.  My scope appears to work without a forward mount, I knoticed from the other pictures some have used mounts and just put them where rings would have worked.  I ordered Burris Signature Zee 30mm rings for mine.  It gives me the MOA cant I need.  Unless you want to drop big $$ on the Nightforce mount, the next best option is to use the Badger Ordinance 22moa base, it give you the cant that you can use whatever rings you want, and move them forward if needed.  Its reasonable at $95.  If you go that route or don't need a cant I would use the SWFA rings mentioned above.  They ARE Burris XTR rings and Burris P.E.R.P. that are just private label cheaper.  They are cheaper retail from SWFA than Burris rings are from my wholesale account.  For $32-37 for the rings you also get the 30mm to 1" reducers, which  is excellend since you may need the mount for different scopes in the future, usually reducers are about $20 themselves.  I have two sets of SWFA rings but have not tried the once piece mount yet.

Thats why you want the KAC MK11 mount, not the M110 mount, there are different one piece mounts, one with cant, one without

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I have had the Armalite and the RRA one piece mounts.  the armalite is a tad too low.  it is lower then standard sight height.  The RRA is higher then standard sight, , not too high for me. Both of those were of good quality.  The PEPR is probably good also, I just haven't used it yet,   I wouldn't think most folks would need a QD scope mount, so that leaves you some cash for a better scope or ammo
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top