Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2009 3:43:00 PM EDT
Recently had to cancel year long order with P.O.F. for a p-308. Now I am looking for a different brand with same features. Would like piston, but can deal w/gas if it needbe. Would like a 14 to 16in barrel. This is a shtf gun but would still like 1moa or better. I know about the SABR,DPMS and XCR-M.
Just wondering if there are anyother quality mfgrs out there with good rep and reliable customer service. I already have 10 20rnd DPMS 308 mags so I need something that will use them.
Does MSTN make 308 uppers?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I thinl Larue has there 308 in production and they make good kit. I've also read good things about armalite as well but no experience except for my M14's and H&K.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Recently had to cancel year long order with P.O.F. for a p-308. Now I am looking for a different brand with same features. Would like piston, but can deal w/gas if it needbe. Would like a 14 to 16in barrel. This is a shtf gun but would still like 1moa or better. I know about the SABR,DPMS and XCR-M.
Just wondering if there are anyother quality mfgrs out there with good rep and reliable customer service. I already have 10 20rnd DPMS 308 mags so I need something that will use them.
Does MSTN make 308 uppers?

Don't build your rifle around two magazines.  Build an Armalite AR-10.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Build your own rifle to your specs using DPMS receivers and the barrel of your choice.   One of my rifles runs a Krieger 20" and is far more accurate than I am.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 4:20:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Never thought about putting one together myself. Isnt it a pain in the ass trying to get all the parts? How do you decide on everything? I get a headache just looking at Brownells and all the differant stuff. BTW I not building around 2 mags. I've got 10,and they were $40 ea. So I figured I could try to sell or just find something that they will fit in. I like the fit in better than sell.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Brand New DPMS .308 Carbine upper for sale NIB, see my ad under items for sale. If you've got any questions e-Mail me or PM me.

Thanks,
glwbear
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Never thought about putting one together myself. Isnt it a pain in the ass trying to get all the parts? How do you decide on everything? I get a headache just looking at Brownells and all the differant stuff. BTW I not building around 2 mags. I've got 10,and they were $40 ea. So I figured I could try to sell or just find something that they will fit in. I like the fit in better than sell.

I did mine before the big rush and still had to wait on receivers.   I wound up with an armalite pattern Krieger barrel/bolt combo with SWS FF forend, PRS stock and she's a tack driver.  I put it together on DPMS receivers with the A3 flattop.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've got a Brand New DPMS .308 Carbine upper for sale NIB, see my ad under items for sale. If you've got any questions e-Mail me or PM me.

Thanks,
glwbear

Why are you selling it?  My DPMS shoots very well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]
CMMG makes both DPMS and Armalite compatible lowers
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#9]
check out fulton armory
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Checked out fulton. Pretty sweet. Hey, they also just posted they got in some big shippment of 75gr hp 223!
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

CMMG makes both DPMS and Armalite compatible lowers

So what's the main/big difference(s) between the DPMS stuff and the Armalite stuff ?

(... other than that they apparently use different mags ...)

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:23:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I think i may go with LaRue's new 308 or maybe S&W or Ruger will bring one out in the near future.  Seems alot of companys are wanting to get a 308 version out on market. The comp would be great, driving prices down and quality up!
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a Remington R25, made by DPMS, that feels and shoots great.  I've only run about 70 rounds through it so far, but its enough to fall in love.  It has a kick ass camo job on it, too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been looking at the Remigtons also. Just put my name on the list for the new Ruger AR. I'm looking to buy both 223 and 308 so maybe the Rem is the way to go. I've never had a problem with my Rem rifles or shotguns before and with the bigger companys maybe if there is a problem, turn around would be quicker. Then again LaRue has their new 308 coming out too. Too damn many decisions and  choices!
Thanks for all the input from everybody though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I've been looking at the Remigtons also. Just put my name on the list for the new Ruger AR. I'm looking to buy both 223 and 308 so maybe the Rem is the way to go. I've never had a problem with my Rem rifles or shotguns before and with the bigger companys maybe if there is a problem, turn around would be quicker. Then again LaRue has their new 308 coming out too. Too damn many decisions and choices!

I would think twice about the Remington.   Order directly from dpms or others the limited mag thing is a pain.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I need to read about the rem i didnt realize it had a limited mag(?) That means (i guess) it wont take standard 20 & 30rnd mags? I did read an article about the Rem in a gun mag but dont recall that info. I'll reread tonight.
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#17]
If you aren't totally hung up on the SR25 mag platform, you might want to look at RRA's LAR-8.

It's DI, not piston, but their mid-length version is 16" and people I have talked to that have the 16" barrel say it is very accurate (mine has a 26" barrel).  You could probably sell off your SR25 mags for a good chunk of change and put it towards the purchase.  The LAR-8 uses FAL mags, which are plentiful and cheap.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a rem. r-25 with the 20" I have had good luck with. probably ur best bet for the performance u want. Pistons are over-rated, the only real advantages to them is they are more reliable dirty and run cooler. I dont think that having more parts slapping around in an accurate rifle (ie, not a M4) will make it more accurate. My $ says the reverse. Also- who would spend so much on any gun and not clean it? Food for thought.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#19]
They are all good ,if ya have one .Some more $$ then others . As with any thing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#20]
.308 ARs often have issues
from everything I have heard and seen JP currently makes the best .308 gun available.
I know the AMU is very impressed by it along with certain units.

Link Posted: 6/28/2009 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a lar8 in May and initially had feeding problems. I called rock river expecting a hasle. The only question they asked was if I had a pen to write down the rma and shipping account number to pay to ship it back. I had the rifle back within two weeks or less and it runs perfect. With open sights and wolf ammo it shoots fine at 100 yards. I bought some gold medal and need to put a scope on it to see what kind of accuracy it is capable of. So far I am thrilled with it. I wouldn't let the mags you have make your decision. You could always get your money back from them. Maybe make some if you sold them at the right time.

On a side note, you would have to check but I think the pof uppers fit on dpms lowers. Cmmg also makes lowers that fit dpms uppers.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been looking at the Remigtons also. Just put my name on the list for the new Ruger AR. I'm looking to buy both 223 and 308 so maybe the Rem is the way to go. I've never had a problem with my Rem rifles or shotguns before and with the bigger companys maybe if there is a problem, turn around would be quicker. Then again LaRue has their new 308 coming out too. Too damn many decisions and choices!

I would think twice about the Remington.   Order directly from dpms or others the limited mag thing is a pain.

Limited mag thing?  Please explain.  Don't the C-products mags run just fine?

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top